7/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    21d 9h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m

What's a good first car?

So I turn 17 in a couple months, and my dad thought it would be a good idea for me to start looking for a car, but I literally know nothing about cars so I don't know what would be a good car to get. I'm not gonna get a brand new one or anything, and I can't spend more than $15,000 on it. I really want a Jeep but my dad doesn't want to get me one because he says it'll flip over if I turn too fast, and I don't know if that's true or not but whatever. He wants me to get a Mustang like my brother has, but I hate my brothers car and we just can't agree on what I can get. I just need some opinions on what is a good first car to get, one that's reliable and stuff.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    510 times
    Time Online
    40d 8h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    13m
    My sister bought a new Honda Accord a few months ago, and she absolutely loves it . Hondas, in my experience, have always been reliable (though our current Oddyssey has somehow attracted two crashes while it was parked in less than a year ) ^_^.
    The standard "beginner" car has historically been a Volvo, as they're always touted as super safe, but I'm afraid I haven't had much experience with them.
    J_L_K_64 rules you.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reese For This Useful Post:

Owl (07-10-2013),wrath (07-10-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    $15k on a first car is a huge budget.

What your dad says about SUVs is true, but that's only if you like flooring it and going past the speed limit. The center of gravity is higher in an SUV, that's why. The lower the car, and lower the ground clearance, the less chance of rollover.

The other thing about SUVs is they are gas guzzlers.
    IMO, a used car with a model year in the past 5 years is more than enough; you'll even save more money (if that matters).

As for actual cars, what're you looking for?
    Economical? 4-door ecocompacts like Civics and Corollas are cheap, cheap on gas, comfortable, and reliable (albeit a little lame).
    Sports Car? Probably stick to some American muscle or pony cars then, like a 'stang, etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

Soul (07-26-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    21d 9h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    $15k on a first car is a huge budget.

What your dad says about SUVs is true, but that's only if you like flooring it and going past the speed limit. The center of gravity is higher in an SUV, that's why. The lower the car, and lower the ground clearance, the less chance of rollover.

The other thing about SUVs is they are gas guzzlers.
    IMO, a used car with a model year in the past 5 years is more than enough; you'll even save more money (if that matters).

As for actual cars, what're you looking for?
    Economical? 4-door ecocompacts like Civics and Corollas are cheap, cheap on gas, comfortable, and reliable (albeit a little lame).
    Sports Car? Probably stick to some American muscle or pony cars then, like a 'stang, etc.
    I personally always wanted a bigger car because I feel safer in SUVs. If I could have any car it would be a Tahoe but they're expensive I think. My dad keeps trying to get me to look at Mustangs or Camaros but like my brother has a Mustang and it's so loud and it bothers me a lot. I'm really just looking for whatever is going to be the safest for when I crash but I don't want something that will roll over because I do drive kind of fast and I make turns really fast (according to my mom, I don't know if I actually turn fast). I'm not worrying too much about the gas because if I have a job then I can pay for the gas and I probably won't drive anywhere far or anything that will use a lot of gas

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Quote Originally Posted by juliaxo View Post
    I personally always wanted a bigger car because I feel safer in SUVs. /// I'm really just looking for whatever is going to be the safest for when I crash but I don't want something that will roll over because I do drive kind of fast and I make turns really fast (according to my mom, I don't know if I actually turn fast).
    (you need an account to see links)

^US Government tested crash safety ratings.

It is also true that SUVs are a little safer when it comes to crashes, just because of their size. You're higher than other cars in an SUV, so unless you get slammed by another SUV/pickup, you'll receive less of the blow than say, if you were driving a sedan/coupe.

Overall car design and crash rating is a better judge of safety however; there are sedans that can take harder hits than some SUVs.
    Again, refer to the above link.

You can't have both crash safety and low-rollover risk however. You need to sacrifice aspects of one for the other.
    So do you think your own driving is more likely to cause an accident, or other people hitting you?

Another thing to consider about rollover is if the weather is turbulent in your area. Lots of snow, rain (hydroplaning), and ICE especially will greatly increase the risk of rollover when turning at higher speeds.

I mean, I know people getting brand new BMWs so I don't want to get a crappy car and feel embarrassed xD
    Those people are spoiled tools.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    21d 9h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    (you need an account to see links)

^US Government tested crash safety ratings.

It is also true that SUVs are a little safer when it comes to crashes, just because of their size. You're higher than other cars in an SUV, so unless you get slammed by another SUV/pickup, you'll receive less of the blow than say, if you were driving a sedan/coupe.

Overall car design and crash rating is a better judge of safety however, There are sedans that can take harder hits than some SUVs.
    Again, refer to the above link.

You can't have both crash safety and low-rollover risk however. You need to sacrifice aspects of one for the other.
    So do you think your own driving is more likely to cause an accident, or other people hitting you?

Another thing to consider about rollover is if the weather is turbulent in your area. Lots of snow, rain (hydroplaning), and ICE especially will greatly increase the risk of rollover when turning at higher speeds.

Those people are spoiled tools.
    I don't think I'd cause an accident, I'm really worried about getting hit. I see accidents in my town almost every day and it makes me so paranoid. A lot of teenagers in my town drive drunk too so I'm scared I'll get hit by someone. I live in NJ so the weather is kind of normal I guess, it rains occasionally and sometimes we get a lot of snow in winter but not always. And what's a coupe, is it smaller than a sedan?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    And what's a coupe, is it smaller than a sedan?
    The official definitions regarding 'coupe' and 'sedan' are a little wonky, all about car dimensions (there are a few 4-door coupes and 2-door sedans, etc.).

But for simplicity:

Coupe: 2 door
    Sedan: 4 door

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 8h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Damn, $15k for a first car is quite a budget. You could even get a brand new car for 15k.
    My parents just got me a shitty car for like 1k. It lasted long enough and then I financed my own car.

But you can really get whatever you want with the budget. Just look somewhere like carmax, they have all makes and models. Once you find one you like, you can start looking elsewhere for a good deal on that specific car.
    It's really up to you though, what do you want in a car? Do you want a 2door, nice and small. Or do you want a bigger SUV kinda deal so all your friends can fit in?

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

My dad keeps trying to get me to look at Mustangs or Camaros
    If that is the worst of your problems, I think you will be just fine.
    Geezuss...!!!
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Jonathan (07-11-2013),riverdale (07-11-2013),Soul (07-26-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    21d 9h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by I_royalty_I View Post
    Damn, $15k for a first car is quite a budget. You could even get a brand new car for 15k.
    My parents just got me a shitty car for like 1k. It lasted long enough and then I financed my own car.

But you can really get whatever you want with the budget. Just look somewhere like carmax, they have all makes and models. Once you find one you like, you can start looking elsewhere for a good deal on that specific car.
    It's really up to you though, what do you want in a car? Do you want a 2door, nice and small. Or do you want a bigger SUV kinda deal so all your friends can fit in?
    I was looking for something bigger so I can drive all my friends. I turn 17 first so they're going to expect me to drive them anyways, even though that's not legal so it makes me kind of nervous. I also don't want anything really old either. My dad said I shouldn't getting anything older than from 2005.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Nissan pathfinder is a decent SUV, but I'm going with @(you need an account to see links) on this one; Honda Accord is an exemplary first car.