Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can any legal action be taken by neopets or users who have lost accounts?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by munsterpoo View Post
    The only legal action I'm aware of was just threatening legal action against someone who posted numerous programs publicly to everyone, and advertised it very actively circa.... 2005? He told me that he was contacted formally by attorneys threatening to take him to court so he shut his site down. They really don't care about the average user as was mentioned above.
    Do you remember who that person was?

I know I had been talking to sockopen awhile ago and he said that he got something like that.
    But from my experiences that kid is a compulsive liar, so I wouldn't believe half the shit he says. lol
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    81/0
    Mentioned
    80 times
    Time Online
    15d 23h 3m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I can't imagine TNT going through all the red tape of taking legal action against problematic users honestly- don't they do fucked up stuff though like contact people irl and threaten to tell their school or something? I feel like there was a well known user kinda recently who had to dip out of the cheating scene because TNT emailed him and found out where he went to college, and threatened to contact the university where he was enrolled and get him expelled or some weird thing. Not sure how legit that was though.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    68 times
    Time Online
    34d 6h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    @(you need an account to see links)
    I don't know, it was quite awhile ago.

For those that may not know, 95% of legal cases are resolved with just threatening letters, RARELY does anything make it to courts. Threatening someone with legal action stops future action most of the time, if it doesn't, then ultimately the person filing the potential charge has to decide if they have a case and if it's worth their money to pursue (in this case its probably not). Then once charges are brought there are additional ways for both parties to get out of it or make deals before it reaches court.

Legal cases involving the internet, piracy, etc. has almost no jurisprudence, which means it's still a new field that lawyers and judges aren't comfortable with, so this is more reasons why legal action in this case will almost definitely never happen.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to munsterpoo For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (07-10-2013)