86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m

Buddhism/Buddhists

I have been researching various religions and spiritual ideologies over the past two-three years. I wanted to be very well informed when I made a decision on the path to follow. So far buddhism seems to be the religion that I can believe in and follow. I've been studying the four noble truths and basic buddhist practices. Wondering if any CK'ers have been buddhist for a long time and would be willing to share with me some of their meditation practices, more teachings to look up online, etc. We have a few buddhist temples in my city, but they are led by the Vietnamese and Koreans respectively. The last time I went to one it was the Vietnamese one and I was welcomed warmly, but the language barrier was pretty evident. So yeah.. Just wondering.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    146 times
    Time Online
    28d 22h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    You could always go back to one of the temples and see if they have any way of bridging the language barrier? I do know that Buddhism is a good way of life, it's very practical and down to earth. I've made a mish mash of religions/philosophies to follow in my life, but Buddhism is by far my favorite at face value.. That and Christianity (at it's core. Too bad that the entire thing has been heavily altered by power struggles)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    You could always go back to one of the temples and see if they have any way of bridging the language barrier? I do know that Buddhism is a good way of life, it's very practical and down to earth. I've made a mish mash of religions/philosophies to follow in my life, but Buddhism is by far my favorite at face value.. That and Christianity (at it's core. Too bad that the entire thing has been heavily altered by power struggles)
    I felt so bad because they were such nice people. Lovely, lovely people. You could feel the peace and good emanating off of them and I don't feel worthy yet of being in such presence. I have a very long way to go to be a decent person, let alone a good person. But I'm trying. Heh. But maybe you're right, I could try learning some basic vietnamese and maybe I can find someone here that can help me translate things better. =3

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    146 times
    Time Online
    28d 22h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    I felt so bad because they were such nice people. Lovely, lovely people. You could feel the peace and good emanating off of them and I don't feel worthy yet of being in such presence. I have a very long way to go to be a decent person, let alone a good person. But I'm trying. Heh. But maybe you're right, I could try learning some basic vietnamese and maybe I can find someone here that can help me translate things better. =3
    I'm sure they appreciated someone trying to share in something very important to them n-n. Learning the language would be a huge help, it'd also just be something fun to do. Out of the two, I've heard Korean is very simple to pick up. At the very least you might make some new friends and gain a new tongue. It's a win-win.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    I'm sure they appreciated someone trying to share in something very important to them n-n. Learning the language would be a huge help, it'd also just be something fun to do. Out of the two, I've heard Korean is very simple to pick up. At the very least you might make some new friends and gain a new tongue. It's a win-win.
    Hmm. I do want to learn some new languages anyway as communicating with others is one of the things I enjoy. =3 Rosetta Stone maybeh. xD

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    146 times
    Time Online
    28d 22h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Hmm. I do want to learn some new languages anyway as communicating with others is one of the things I enjoy. =3 Rosetta Stone maybeh. xD
    Rosetta Stone is the way to go. Once you get a grasp of it try watching Soap Operas/TV Shows in that language. Whenever we're trying to help out our friends to learn English/Spanish we seriously tell them to go home and watch a ton of TV in the language they're trying to learn. Especially your favorite movies/shows.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Owl For This Useful Post:

wrath (07-09-2013)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Rosetta Stone is the way to go. Once you get a grasp of it try watching Soap Operas/TV Shows in that language. Whenever we're trying to help out our friends to learn English/Spanish we seriously tell them to go home and watch a ton of TV in the language they're trying to learn. Especially your favorite movies/shows.
    I love spanish soap operas. I have to turn on the closed captioning and focus very hard, but I can generally get the basic idea. They're so dramatic and scandaloso xD

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    112 times
    Time Online
    28d 20h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Oooh, I'm actually Vietnamese and my family has been Buddhists for as long as I can remember.

I always visited the temples on Sundays to practice my Vietnamese, as I really wasn't fluent in writing.
    But I've always saw visitors that weren't Vietnamese and they were warmly welcomed.

And visiting the temples on one of the holidays is very exciting as well. Like the Autumn Moon Festival and Asian New Years.
    That's where everything gets livened up with the lights, dances and food.

I can't really tell you much about the meditation practices, I haven't been to the temple in awhile.
    Plus, I was a kid. We weren't allowed in the praying room at the time.
    But I remember to release any desires you had and meditating a great way to relax and bring the good atmosphere to you.
    Otherwise, I can't really help you, but buddhists are really open to other people and followers. I don't think the language will be a problem, but it's always a good way to communicate.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lenars For This Useful Post:

Whispers (07-09-2013),wrath (07-09-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    146 times
    Time Online
    28d 22h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    I love spanish soap operas. I have to turn on the closed captioning and focus very hard, but I can generally get the basic idea. They're so dramatic and scandaloso xD
    I actually can hardly understand Spanish TV. Most of it is in a Mexican accent -it's so different than what I'm used to. The Argentine spanish is the most butchered spanish ever. So I actually have to concentrate really hard to understand spanish soaps lol. And it's my native tongue. Djeudndjd.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyLena View Post
    Oooh, I'm actually Vietnamese and my family has been Buddhists for as long as I can remember.

I always visited the temples on Sundays to practice my Vietnamese, as I really wasn't fluent in writing.
    But I've always saw visitors that weren't Vietnamese and they were warmly welcomed.

And visiting the temples on one of the holidays is very exciting as well. Like the Autumn Moon Festival and Asian New Years.
    That's where everything gets livened up with the lights, dances and food.

I can't really tell you much about the meditation practices, I haven't been to the temple in awhile.
    Plus, I was a kid. We weren't allowed in the praying room at the time.
    But I remember to release any desires you had and meditating a great way to relax and bring the good atmosphere to you.
    Otherwise, I can't really help you, but buddhists are really open to other people and followers. I don't think the language will be a problem, but it's always a good way to communicate.
    Thank you very much for your insight.

I actually can hardly understand Spanish TV. Most of it is in a Mexican accent -it's so different than what I'm used to. The Argentine spanish is the most butchered spanish ever. So I actually have to concentrate really hard to understand spanish soaps lol. And it's my native tongue. Djeudndjd.
    Lol well, I can understand that. This is why I must used the closed captioning. It goes way too fast for my poor little brain to listen and translate otherwise.