13/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    13h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

What it's like living in _____

So I thought this would be a good way of learning about each other's cultures and whatnot. Based on things that have happened to you recently (or whatever you think is a good story idk) post about it with your country/area/state/province/whatever. If this belongs in spam I apologize profusely, but this may just lead to conversation about areas in general so I wasn't sure.

ANYWHO.

What it's like living in Canada:
    Today I was in line at Wal-Mart while buying supplies for my cosplay this weekend. I saw a bunch of Canadian chocolate bars and snatched them up to send to my giveaway winner on my blog. A woman in front of me laughed and said, "Need to get your fix?" We then ended up having a full conversation about chocolate bars until it was her time to be rung through. After she finished she wished me a great day and left.
    Basically, you get into real conversations with complete strangers everywhere. Everyone's really friendly and talkative.

Now I guess you can tell me a story or we can just converse about mine, whatever floats your boat. (Oh god I'm so awkward)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackcherry For This Useful Post:

Maki (07-09-2013),Owl (07-07-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    146 times
    Time Online
    28d 22h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    What it's like living in South Carolina:
    My boyfriend lives out in the middle of nowhere, literally so far out that until last year there was no cable. Anywho, right before you get to his house there's this huge winding road surrounded by woods on either side. Often times you'll have to drive slowly through there so that when deer/coyotes/possums/raccoons run across you don't hit them. Well, his sister's baby daddy did not get that memo as he's not from around here. Dude was happily driving down the road a few weeks back when suddenly, GOBBLE MOTHERFUCKER a full sized turkey flew out in front of him. He swerved out of the way and ended up totaling his truck into a tree. Had to walk the rest of the way back to the house. Pretty funny when we asked
    "What happened to you?"
    "Turkey crossed the road."
    TO BOOT- the same thing happened before to another boyfriend of hers, only that time with a cow. I have to stop and let some sort of critter cross my path at least once a day. Animals are everywhere here (especially deer, fuck deer) , which is why hunting is so prominent. We always joke that we should just shoot dinner on the way home.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Owl For This Useful Post:

Lilac Tentacles (07-09-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    23d 18h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Random conversations with random strangers are nice, especially when you are in queue or bus or something.

But over here where I come from, sometime it is odd to start a conversation with a stranger. Like, one time, I was waiting for my friend who had to go to the public restroom. And I saw a stranger who was also waiting for her friend. So I said hi and started a conversation with her. Not long after, her friend came out of the restroom, looked at us, and asked
    "Your friend?"
    "No."
    "Then why are you talking to her?"

And that person grabbed her and left me just like that. And I was left looking like o__0

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    146 times
    Time Online
    28d 22h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Quote Originally Posted by aviator View Post
    Random conversations with random strangers are nice, especially when you are in queue or bus or something.

But over here where I come from, sometime it is odd to start a conversation with a stranger. Like, one time, I was waiting for my friend who had to go to the public restroom. And I saw a stranger who was also waiting for her friend. So I said hi and started a conversation with her. Not long after, her friend came out of the restroom, looked at us, and asked
    "Your friend?"
    "No."
    "Then why are you talking to her?"

And that person grabbed her and left me just like that. And I was left looking like o__0
    That's kind of a rude thing of them to do. You should visit here sometime, people will talk to you constantly. Even if you've never met them in your life. You can walk into a store and start up a conversation with just about anyone. Folks are pretty friendly, a little off their rockers at times though 8D

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    13h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I live in a tiny country village outside of the capital city of my province and oh my gosh are people friendly there. If you walk down the street people passing in their cars wave and smile at you. It's like, man I don't know you but ok hi.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    23d 18h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    That's kind of a rude thing of them to do. You should visit here sometime, people will talk to you constantly. Even if you've never met them in your life. You can walk into a store and start up a conversation with just about anyone. Folks are pretty friendly, a little off their rockers at times though 8D
    I actually spent my college years somewhere in the south part of the US. Which is when and where I picked up the "just start a conversation even if it's a stranger" attitude. People were very nice. it was awkward to me at first, but I quickly learned that it's a norm. Then I came home, and the situation above happened.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    146 times
    Time Online
    28d 22h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Quote Originally Posted by aviator View Post
    I actually spent my college years somewhere in the south part of the US. Which is when and where I picked up the "just start a conversation even if it's a stranger" attitude. People were very nice. it was awkward to me at first, but I quickly learned that it's a norm. Then I came home, and the situation above happened.
    Boo, come back to the south! We could use more people to talk to.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    23d 18h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    My boyfriend lives out in the middle of nowhere, literally so far out that until last year there was no cable. Anywho, right before you get to his house there's this huge winding road surrounded by woods on either side. Often times you'll have to drive slowly through there so that when deer/coyotes/possums/raccoons run across you don't hit them. Well, his sister's baby daddy did not get that memo as he's not from around here. Dude was happily driving down the road a few weeks back when suddenly, GOBBLE MOTHERFUCKER a full sized turkey flew out in front of him. He swerved out of the way and ended up totaling his truck into a tree. Had to walk the rest of the way back to the house. Pretty funny when we asked
    "What happened to you?"
    TO BOOT- the same thing happened before to another boyfriend of hers, only that time with a cow. I have to stop and let some sort of critter cross my path at least once a day. Animals are everywhere here (especially deer, fuck deer) , which is why hunting is so prominent. We always joke that we should just shoot dinner on the way home.
    I just have to add this.

I had encounter a deer in the middle of the road, while I'm driving in the middle of the night. I did see the "beware sign of deer crossing area". But we have similar sign over here with cows, but I NEVER encounter a cow on the road anyway. Didn't pay much attention to the sign and it really caught me by surprised. luckily nothing bad happen that night.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    822 times
    Time Online
    111d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    "What happened to you?"
    Holy shit, i'm from SC. crazy as fuck, small world eh?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    19h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Indiana is pretty boring. Where I'm at, I'm surrounded by cornfields. It's a small town, but it does have a mall. Only downside is that it's pretty much the official hangout zone for the teenagers and middle schoolers up to 2-3 other towns over. Needless to say, I don't like going to the mall and having to weasel my way through crowds of adolescents.

Uh, Indianapolis is pretty cool if you like one-way streets that go in the directions that you don't need. And if you'd like to get shot on the 4th of July by more stupid teenagers that think they're so cool for being "gang members," then yeah, Indiana is the place for you. I really don't like Indiana much. There's nothing for me here.