86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m

AOB Open Discussion

I'm going to be re-writing the AOB guide entirely at @(you need an account to see links) 's request. As someone that locates his own AOB's in addition to using the one's provided by @(you need an account to see links), I have a pretty great understanding of how the AOB process works. What questions do you have? Are you interested in AOBing? What holds you back from doing it? Help me help you today as we discuss our favorite moments while AOBing, the challenges that come with it, or maybe you just want to hang out and learn a little bit more on the subject. All this and more, after the news...

...I've really gotta stop listening to News Radio...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wrath For This Useful Post:

I_royalty_I (07-05-2013)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    2d 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Question!! What does AOB stand for? Sorry I'm not familiar with a few terms thrown around so I'm trying to get a grasp of it all. Thanks for your help!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonkers For This Useful Post:

wrath (07-05-2013)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkers View Post
    Question!! What does AOB stand for? Sorry I'm not familiar with a few terms thrown around so I'm trying to get a grasp of it all. Thanks for your help!
    AOB stands for Array of Bytes. Basically meaning more than one byte or range of bytes. Good question!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    2d 15h 46m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    The ONLY thing I'd say is risky about AOB'ing are easily mistakeable impossible scores and times (I suppose this one applies to SSing as well).

I know there's a code for destruct-o-match that makes any score a 2,500, i.e. the avatar score (I could be wrong about the number; too lazy to look...), but if you play the double game thingy, it doubles your score, so instead of 2,500 you get 5,000, which is an automatic freeze.

A similar issue is knowing when to stop. If it's a particularly boring game and you just power sleep through it, you might miss the magic window if when TNT gives a flying crap and BAM - frozen.

Finally, there's the AC thing of if you AOB, the scores might look okay to TNT when they just look at the single scores sent, but a single player having a million billion goals, while the others have 0-10 and the goalie has 0 catches is a dead giveaway to other players and a one way trip to Iceland, which really cuts down my time watching the Simpsons back to back...

Anyway, those are just my gripes

7. The Following User Says Thank You to panelle For This Useful Post:

wrath (07-05-2013)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Quote Originally Posted by panelle View Post
    The ONLY thing I'd say is risky about AOB'ing are easily mistakeable impossible scores and times (I suppose this one applies to SSing as well).

I know there's a code for destruct-o-match that makes any score a 2,500, i.e. the avatar score (I could be wrong about the number; too lazy to look...), but if you play the double game thingy, it doubles your score, so instead of 2,500 you get 5,000, which is an automatic freeze.

A similar issue is knowing when to stop. If it's a particularly boring game and you just power sleep through it, you might miss the magic window if when TNT gives a flying crap and BAM - frozen.

Finally, there's the AC thing of if you AOB, the scores might look okay to TNT when they just look at the single scores sent, but a single player having a million billion goals, while the others have 0-10 and the goalie has 0 catches is a dead giveaway to other players and a one way trip to Iceland, which really cuts down my time watching the Simpsons back to back...

Anyway, those are just my gripes
    Extremely valid points. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've had to redo a game because of the missed opportunity to send the score that is appropriate; above avatar score and below review score. A few that come to mind are Typing Terror, Chia Bomber, and Math's Nightmare which all have extra points awarded at the end of the game. It's extremely frustrating to be above that review score by 10-15 points and have wasted 20-40 minutes because of stupidity.

I never got into the Altador Cup, but I agree that would look suspicious. That is something I prefer about AOBing though, you have the capability to manipulate your scores/stats better than just score-sending does. At least that's in my experience. Great feedback.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    256 times
    Time Online
    53d 13h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    Mention common pitfalls people encounter when aobing?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Miri For This Useful Post:

wrath (07-05-2013)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Quote Originally Posted by m33r33 View Post
    Mention common pitfalls people encounter when aobing?
    I've taught a few people to AOB and more or less held their hand through the process. I think the most common mistake (though quickly fixed) is to search for the AOB code before switching the search type to: Array of Byte in CheatEngine. It's kind of funny to watch honestly because I know what's going to happen before-hand. The search yields no results! And this leads to an angry AOB'er. So then they quickly realize their mistake and switch it to Array of Bytes, but when you do that on CheatEngine, it converts the value that you already have in the box into Hex code, so they immediately press Search and again, No Results! At that point, you have to delete everything out of the search box, and re-paste the AOB code you're looking for. The entire process takes less than a minute to fix, but it happens so frequently that this came to mind and it always makes me smile when it happens to someone else because when I first started, I did the same thing and it's so annoying. xD

Another issue that comes to mind is when one searches for a value but the game is not actually loaded. Flash appeared in the processes to choose from because the person had another tab with flash on. So they search and get No Results five to six times before going back to neopets and realizing they didn't click the 'Play' button and that the flash game had never even loaded.
    ---
    Now aside from the whole technical process, I think the most common pitfall in AOBing was described by @(you need an account to see links) That is, being either too impatient or unattentative to pay attention to what you're doing. Korbat's Lab for example, requires a 30 minute wait time before sending the score for higher scores, including the Avatar score. So if you're not paying attention to your score, and you've gone over the review score by let's say 20 points (literally two blocks), and you've waited the 30 minutes and you come back to the game after you've watched an episode of your favorite TV show, or cooked, or had happy sex time, and you then realize your error in going above the review score. Not only do you have to redo the AOB process to get your high score again, but then you have to wait an additional 30 minutes wait time.

This is 90% of the reason I charge what I do for AOB services. You have to pay attention. Even moreso when it's someone else's account and not your own. I see these folks with avatar services for 500k a piece or less and I just smile because I know that while they're undercutting me pretty hard, I am fairly confident they are not offering near the level of attention, security, and care that I do. That's why I even offer a video capture of the entire process for my customers for a small additional charge. I want my customers to have complete confidence. But that's enough plugging for my services.

Great question! Let's keep this discussion alive folks!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    336 times
    Time Online
    47d 12h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I really love this thread, I think it's awesome that you're being so helpful about AOB'ing.

I personally have no questions because I just have you do all mine for me, lol, but I'm gonna +rep if I can because this is one of the most helpful threads I've seen in awhile!

edit: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Wrath again.

sigh sometime I will!

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    48d 20h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    An updated guide would be great. I really like the current guide as well, it's been very helpful for me. I just did start AoBing and haven't had any issues, but a guide that has info on how to start up Cheat Engine and get it configured properly (how to revert AoBs, how to find the process with different browsers) as well as having review scores, times, etc all in one place would be great.

Also a little more explanation on speed hacking perhaps? I wasn't able to get it working with Chrome and Googled offsite and they said it doesn't work with Chrome, not sure if that is correct or not.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Quote Originally Posted by Arabella View Post
    An updated guide would be great. I really like the current guide as well, it's been very helpful for me. I just did start AoBing and haven't had any issues, but a guide that has info on how to start up Cheat Engine and get it configured properly (how to revert AoBs, how to find the process with different browsers) as well as having review scores, times, etc all in one place would be great.

Also a little more explanation on speed hacking perhaps? I wasn't able to get it working with Chrome and Googled offsite and they said it doesn't work with Chrome, not sure if that is correct or not.
    Yes in addition to re-doing the AOB code guide entirely, I'm also going to write a fully functional CheatEngine guide with support for Chrome and Firefox WITH videos. Unfortunately at this time, CheatEngine's speedhack crashes my flash player any time I attempt to use it. I don't know if this is a CE failure, an update to flash that broke it, or something Neopets has done specifically in the coding of their games.. Flash seems to be the most likely culprit. I will tag you in the CE guide once it's up this weekend.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wrath For This Useful Post:

Arabella (07-05-2013)