DL/UL
    278/0
    Mentioned
    222 times
    Time Online
    51d 7h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    When I used to run, I would run for around 10 minutes, a few minutes walk then run again. Wasn't nowhere near where I would like to be fitness wise but it worked and I was a lot fitter. I just don't want such short intervals. I suppose we will see what works best for me.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    117 times
    Time Online
    11d 15h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Don't your treadmill have these built-in programs that you choose from? I usually just use those presets but I don't know I don't use the treadmill often, I just jog in a park or in a track.

My advise though is start with slow speeds then gradually increase over time.
    Sprints or huge bursts are not recommended for starters as it will "shock" your body.
    Don't worry with starting slow because in time, your body will get used to running and then you can do faster speeds without a sweat.

Oh and one more thing, sprints and inclined planes make your calves bigger so if you don't want a muscled calf, I suggest stay low (maybe a maximum of 2 or 3 inclination) and don't overdo sprints.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ken For This Useful Post:

Elmo (07-04-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    2d 11h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Like most everybody else, I suggest interval training. You will burn more calories and increase your aerobic fitness much quicker than running at a steady pace. Plus, I find it's much less boring than running the same speed.
    Most treadmills I've come across come preset with an interval program, where you can adjust the speed of your high- and low-intensity blocks. Some even have a 'weight loss' program which has longer intervals designed to keep your heart rate within that target fat-burning zone. I would just play around with your programs and find one that you like. Any running is better than none at all, and you will work your way up no matter which route you choose!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mollyjo For This Useful Post:

Elmo (07-04-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    278/0
    Mentioned
    222 times
    Time Online
    51d 7h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    Thanks for the advice guys, Need to set it up as it is heavy and need my brother to come take it upstairs. It's going to be a shock to the system after so long away!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    2d 11h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    You'll do great! Just don't push yourself too hard to start out with. Running injuries can be incredibly painful from personal experience. Ease into whatever you decide to do, and the most important thing is to just keep at it! It will only get easier

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    278/0
    Mentioned
    222 times
    Time Online
    51d 7h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    Thoought I would update you guys. I tried several things and found out I enjoyed the Couch to 5k and found myself having much more of a workout than I would by doing a ten minute run on incline. I done my first day of the program yesterday in 29 degree heat and safe to say, I needed a long cold shower after. Feel the burn!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    31/0
    Mentioned
    199 times
    Time Online
    129d 11h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    44m
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieG View Post
    Thoought I would update you guys. I tried several things and found out I enjoyed the Couch to 5k and found myself having much more of a workout than I would by doing a ten minute run on incline. I done my first day of the program yesterday in 29 degree heat and safe to say, I needed a long cold shower after. Feel the burn!
    I'm really glad you decided to give the couch to 5k a shot! Once you finish that, you'll be at a sound enough fitness level to really step up and start working on speed/mileage.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    278/0
    Mentioned
    222 times
    Time Online
    51d 7h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    I tried it before I got a treadmill and I liked it but then I found out I was pregnant so never gave it a real go. It's much easier having a treadmill in the house, little one can play in his cot whilst I do it

Thanks
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    21m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I started with everything the same: start where you're comfortable, and turn it up a few notches each time, like increase the speed one number once a week.. things like that. It's better that way so you don't strain yourself. Just challenge yourself a little more each time.