View Poll Results: What do you think?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is simply a personal choice.

29 74.36%
  • It is a moral choice.

10 25.64%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Veganism: Personal or moral choice?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    2d 14h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Humans are SUPPOSED to eat pure meat, not hormones and stuff. Ever wonder why a good many vegetarians are sickly looking?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    205 times
    Time Online
    10d 9h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    They dont consume enough protein and other vitamins.

thats why GOOD vegetarians take vitamins and supplements ^_^

~credit to katzes
    MY FUCKING RANDOMS YO

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    2d 14h 12m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to eat leaves lol.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    68/0
    Mentioned
    1,177 times
    Time Online
    96d 22h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m

Re: Veganism: Personal or moral choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Scaletta01 View Post
    Humans are SUPPOSED to eat pure meat, not hormones and stuff. Ever wonder why a good many vegetarians are sickly looking?
    What are you trying to say?

I assure you, I'm not sickly looking, my brownness is a result of my heritage. ;P

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    21h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    It is a personal choice. My sister is vegan, my mom doesn`t eat any red meat, I like the suhi As any other life style, it is just a personal choice.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    93 times
    Time Online
    127d 9h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    49m
    I feel like it's natural for us to eat animals, so definitely veganism is a personal choice in my opinion. However, that personal choice might be on moral grounds.
    There's a distinction, because to say that being vegan or not is a moral choice would be to say that people who are not vegan are immoral, which I definitely don't feel is true. However, for an individual to go vegan based on their own morals is perfectly valid, and I'm sure that's the reason many vegans go vegan.

That said, I totally agree that the way we inhumanely raise animals that are meant to contribute to our supply is pretty unacceptable (one example that comes to mind are those poor chickens that live in tiny boxes stacked one on top of the other), and if you're going vegan as a stand against the horrible living standards those poor animals have to go through while they are alive, well, then good on you!
    I realize it's tough to afford the animals better living standards with the way our society works, but I hope things continue to change so that we are more considerate of the animals we raise and care for, EVEN if ultimately they are to end up on our dinner plate.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    219 times
    Time Online
    40d 7h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    I think that it can be a moral choice or a personal choice depending on the reasons you are vegan/vegetarian. Some people choose this lifestyle to get healthier/lose weight/better skin, and some people choose this lifestyle because of the way that animals in the meat industry are treated.

I think that humans need to eat meat in order to be healthy, but healthy meat needs to come from a healthy animal. Animals that are kept in poor conditions and force fed antibiotics and foods that they wouldn't naturally eat in the wild aren't going to have the same nutrients as a piece of meat that's been hunted or allowed to thrive on a farm. (A 'real' farm. With hay, pastures, barns, clean water, vet. care, grass fed, ect. How we used to do it with mom'n'pop farms.)

There's a lot that's wrong with the animal product industry. A good portion of the leather that we buy is produced in Bangladesh, where the poorest of the poor wade in chemical waters all day, surrounded by the stink of rotting flesh. The people who do these jobs have no other choice, and many of them die in their 40/50's from the harmful fumes that they are breathing in every day. These fumes contaminate the air in the poorest areas of an impoverished city, ruining the quality of air for many.

The fecal runoff from cows and pigs is contaminating our clean water, and also causing illness when it spreads to our crops. People have gotten sick from eating vegetables containing animal shit.

There is so much wrong with how we treat the animals, and how we treat the people who care of the animals and make the products from them, that I think veganism can be a moral choice moreso than a personal one. It depends on if you are doing it for reasons of vanity or reasons of humanity.

That said, I don't believe that veganism is the answer. I have nine free range ducks and a bunch of chickens that live on my fenced acre of land. The eggs that we eat are fertilised by the rooster or the drakes (who cares). Our birds are fed organic grains, dried crickets and meal worms, and are allowed to forage in the yard. There is a shed for them to go in when it rains, a shelter for them, a few dust bathing spots, water bowls all over the yard, two pools for the ducks, ect, ect. The eggs we get have orange yolks, not yellow, and taste much better than the store bought ones. The birds are treated with kindness and love. Having poultry as pets has allowed me to share with other people the benefits of having fresh eggs as well as stopping the chain of cruelty by having your own food.
    Our neighbors up the road keep a cow on their property every two years and we buy half the cow when they butcher it. The animal had a good life, was treated well and the meat lasts us a year or more. The hamburger is amazing! SO much less grease!

I don't think veganism or vegetarianism is the answer, because we need to eat meat to stay healthy. The fact that vegetarians and vegans have to take supplements to stay healthy shows that it isn't natural for us to exclude meat from our daily diet. What we need is to be more mindful of where we get our foods, and where we buy our leathers and skins.

But I'm not perfect. I have a leather purse from the mall. I like Taco Bell and Taco Time. A good Jack in the Box spicy chicken burger is pretty good. But I do try to limit myself on these sorts of foods.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    1d 14h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I would say both moral and personal.
    I cannot speak for the religion side as I'm not an expert nor have I researched all their reasoning.
    So I'll just speak of my own experience.
    Truth is I don't think I could ever quit meat entirely. It's just something I crave whether that's biologically or just my natural preference I don't know. While be that as it may, I still believe that animals should live their life humanely and die humanely.

If I'm going to get my nutrients off of a once living thing I wish to have enough respect to give it the best possible life an animal can get despite the fact in the end it'll be on my plate.
    I don't believe in shoving as many animals at once in a factory to be force fed GMOs to fatten it up as quick as possible.
    Or killing it with little regard to how it's last breath will feel.
    If you're going to eat it, respect it.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/1
    Mentioned
    562 times
    Time Online
    118d 6h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    I do not eat meat because it makes me feel sick to think about the fact im eating something dead. It is no moral choice , I love the smell of meat but I cant get over that...

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    120 times
    Time Online
    42d 21h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    Can I just say I'm all about people being whatever they want and doing whatever they want. But I can't stand when people make their young children vegetarians or vegans....nooooo