Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can anyone hack gmail/godaddy/etc?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    Unless this domain name is worth a million dollars its so cheap to register a domain name lol it's like 5-10 dollars why the hell would you pay 100 bucks for it?

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

this, too.
    Well the reason someone would pay lots of money is because if you have already created the name of your company: Tim's Pimping Inc. and you registered timspimping.com then you might want that specific name if you already have customers that do business through timspimping.com. Customers are already finicky about using the web for business in older generations, and when you suddenly have a new website to remember, a new address for them to have to go to, it shows a certain lack of stability. And customers want stability when they do business with a company generally. I can see why he wants this particular domain name and why he would spend a good deal of money, it's just a crappy situation.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    52 times
    Time Online
    6d 1h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    thats true but then maybe register a new one and see if all the stuff can be transferred maybe?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    thats true but then maybe register a new one and see if all the stuff can be transferred maybe?
    That's probably what will have to happen. timspimping.net maybe. But if you consider the possibility that he's got this URL/address on business cards/flyers/ads/side of company vehicles etc. This could be a huge cost to fix.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    52 times
    Time Online
    6d 1h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    yeah it really is a crappy situation :/ I think they can also put a redirect on the site, can't they? Or only you can?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:

wrath (07-05-2013)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    yeah it really is a crappy situation :/ I think they can also put a redirect on the site, can't they? Or only you can?
    To put a redirect on the site you'd have to have access to at least the hosting part of the system or the domain itself. Depending on what the OP has access to a re-direct may indeed work.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    52 times
    Time Online
    6d 1h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    @(you need an account to see links), do you have access to the host, or is that godaddy as well?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    4d 12h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Unless this domain name is worth a million dollars its so cheap to register a domain name lol it's like 5-10 dollars why the hell would you pay 100 bucks for it?[COLOR="Silver"]
    If it's a specific name that other people would want it cant start a bidding war. It may not seem like much, but some websites just get so much organic traffic that it makes it worth more money.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to drd For This Useful Post:

wrath (07-05-2013)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    52 times
    Time Online
    6d 1h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I know, I used to design and code websites. I have just never seen them go for that much I guess lol

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    15/0
    Mentioned
    117 times
    Time Online
    11d 15h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    Well the reason someone would pay lots of money is because if you have already created the name of your company: Tim's Pimping Inc. and you registered timspimping.com then you might want that specific name if you already have customers that do business through timspimping.com.
    This is true. And think of all the juices that's in the domain: all the Google Analytics stuff. If you plan on starting a business in the web, one of the keys to success is ranking in search engines. To start with a new domain would be in the bottom of the list and should be a last resort. I've worked in a white label SEO company and these things matter to them. If all else fails, a redirect would be an option but you have to have the access to the hosting.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    3d 13h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    @(you need an account to see links), do you have access to the host, or is that godaddy as well?
    No, unfortunately not. I don't have access to godaddy at all.

The kind of business I'm starting requires everything to be perfect, since a lot of it is marketing. So if you guys have heard of Sprinkles Cupcakes, you know their domain is sprinkles.com Something like sprinkles-cupcakes.com or sprinkles.net or sprinklescake.com is really quite inelegant compared to just sprinkles.com.
    Last edited by x-factor; 07-08-2013 at 12:02 PM.