64/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    4d 12h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

Gun control in the U.S.

I wanted to start a debate and this seems like a good topic. We'll see if it picks up...

Here are some questions to help get this started:

What do you think of the all the talk of further gun control following the recent shootings in Colorado and Connecticut?

Do you think if we had increased gun control like the banning of certain types of firearms, ect. that these incidents could have been avoided?

Any other comments or questions of your own are welcome, of course.

For those of you who aren't totally aware of the situation here is a small outline of Obama's recent proposals on gun control:

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Debate topic already made:

(you need an account to see links)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    487 times
    Time Online
    26d 4h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    Coming from a country that has very little firearm related deaths, I don't see a problem. You can't just buy a gun here but I don't know what it is like in America.

I see you have an opinion?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/1
    Mentioned
    251 times
    Time Online
    14d 3h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolz View Post
    Coming from a country that has very little firearm related deaths, I don't see a problem. You can't just buy a gun here but I don't know what it is like in America.
    It's a little difficult, but not overly so.
    You just have to get like a background check thing, wait like 10 days and if its all clear you can come pick it up.
    There's more to it but that's the jist of it.
    Its so easy to get around though, perfect example is me, I'n not supposed to own or possess firearms, so I just had my sister go out and buy/register it for me.
    Mine is only used for all the critters where I live though, feral hogs are outrageous lol.
    Its more for just scaring them too, I don't think I'd have the heart to shoot one xD

But honestly I don't think banning certain types of guns would have prevented anything, all it would mean is they need to reload more tbh.
    Not trying to be funny at all here, just the truth x_x

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    4d 12h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck4Cover View Post
    It's a little difficult, but not overly so.
    You just have to get like a background check thing, wait like 10 days and if its all clear you can come pick it up.
    There's more to it but that's the jist of it.
    It varies from state to state. Texas, for instance, requires no registration of guns or licences for gun owners. Due to the recent shootings, though, the government is trying to trying to restrict it more on a federal level, and there seems to be a lot of people behind it.

But honestly I don't think banning certain types of guns would have prevented anything, all it would mean is they need to reload more tbh.
    Not trying to be funny at all here, just the truth x_x
    I totally agree. The recent events and ones from the past were tragic, of course... but to me all federal regulation is going to do is make it so that the only ones who have these powerful weapons are these maniacs and our military and government. To me that is a worse fate than anything else. I realize that a few of them obtained the weapons legally, but if they were willing to calculate these maniacal schemes I severally doubt gun laws are going to stop them. After the patriot act the last thing we need to be doing is taking away more rights. Our government has managed to put this country in a stronghold and I think it's time people realized that and just said no! I think it should remain as is.. leaving most of it up to the states

6. The Following User Says Thank You to drd For This Useful Post:

Duck4Cover (06-29-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    75/0
    Mentioned
    822 times
    Time Online
    111d 11h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    They CAN NOT take my guns!
    'Murricaaa

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    29 times
    Time Online
    3d 4h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    To be honest I'm skeptical of further limitations (other than the ban of heavy arms of course).

If a would-be murderer wants to acquire guns badly, there will still be avenues open to him, regardless of new laws and whatnot.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/1
    Mentioned
    251 times
    Time Online
    14d 3h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Another thing that comes to mind for me is "When they outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have guns."
    I don't think that's exact but its along those lines.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    64/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    4d 12h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Another thing that comes to mind for me is "When they outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have guns."
    I don't think that's exact but its along those lines.
    And of course, like I said, government agencies and the military will have full right to use what they please. Scary thought... It may not seem like it but when you think about it, the less rights we have, the more rights our government has. If we allow them to take more and more away before you know it we will be looking at an Orwellian future in the U.S..

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drd For This Useful Post:

Duck4Cover (06-29-2013),Whispers (06-30-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    111 times
    Time Online
    22d 9h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    I know one of the main arguments against gun control is: "Guns don't kill people, people kill people".
    And to some extent that makes sense, I mean of course a gun by itself can't kill people and it's people who use guns to kill other people, HOWEVER coming from Europe, I can say that this argument doesn't hold water!

I come from a country in Europe, where it's almost impossible for civilians to get a gun permit (as it also is most other places in Europe). This shows on the percentage of lethal crimes committed in my country and on the percentage of gun related deaths and accidents, it's almost non existent! The reason I keep saying percentage is, that when one of those incidents does happen, it's usually ALL over the media, so from just looking at the media, you might think it happens more often than it really does, but it certainly doesn't!

In my country we have only had 2 serial killers in modern times, whereas in America there are have been to our knowledge around 200 convicted serial killers in modern times, 25 in/famous serial killers that haven't been caught (those aren't suspected to be active though) and last but certainly not least: "A very conservative estimate is that there are between 35 and 50 active serial killers in the United States at any given time." These are only Serial Killers, not Mass Murderers, Spree Killers or Murderers.

Now I do understand that America is very large compared to my country and I also know that serial killers don't all use guns, however this is more to show how extreme the differences really are. I think it is very apparent when you look at the percentages of gun related deaths and accidents in the US and compare it to most other countries in Europe, that guns really do kill, more than people do!

Now I completely understand the argument that @(you need an account to see links) mentioned: "Scary thought... It may not seem like it but when you think about it, the less rights we have, the more rights our government has. If we allow them to take more and more away before you know it we will be looking at an Orwellian future in the U.S.. "
    With a government like the one that's in place in the US, it certainly is scary and it's certainly something that should have it's own thread even, however I really do believe that there would be much less gun related crimes happening, if guns were almost impossible to get.

The one thing that I am against, when it comes to "Gun Control in the US", is that the proposals are still tame and it would still be very much possible to get guns, if the US really wanted to create a Gun Control, they should use some of the models already in place, in many places in Europe. Because it certainly wont help to just make it a bit harder, it would have to be almost impossible. And I do realize that as @(you need an account to see links) mentioned: "When they outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have guns." but I would still say that, that's true even in Europe, however again, the percentages of gun related crimes and accidents are still very, very small.

Seriously, I am sorry, but a lot of things in life comes down to math and if you look at the numbers, well you'll realize that this method is better (by this I am in no way saying that, anyone's life is worth more or less, but I am just saying that, it's better to not have more innocent people die. I do realize that there would still be people dying and that's certainly sad, but isn't it better to have less than more, innocent lives taken away?).
    Last edited by Whispers; 06-30-2013 at 04:22 AM.
    http://clraik.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9441&dateline=1372467  318
    Credit to Mint for this amazing siggy!

<3 grrrawr, Duck4Cover, Jolz and kaysevicious

Guides:
    (you need an account to see links)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whispers For This Useful Post:

drd (06-30-2013),Duck4Cover (06-30-2013)