Time Online
    156 d 15 h 53 m
    Avg. Time Online
    2 h 9 m
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: cathes Steam ID: 4thes

[ Signature : Sword Art Online ]

Sword Art Online themed Signature.

Can anyone help me to understand how to make the text look better? I have looked at some tutorials, but I can't get how to make the text look better than just simple-looking.

Hopefully you guys will like it/accept my style since I'm doing my best to join the GFX team.
    Last edited by Cath; 06-28-2013 at 10:01 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 692 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Time Online
    70 d 14 h 40 m
    Avg. Time Online
    56 m
    Maybe add a 2px stroke to it in a contrasting color to help it stand out? Not a gfx expert hurrr but that's what I generally do with all of my text in banners for different forums I design.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wrath For This Useful Post:

Cath (06-28-2013)

Manchester, England
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,483 Times in 726 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Time Online
    26 d 3 h 31 m
    Avg. Time Online
    20 m
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Alexiisonfire
    @katzes

The drop shadow looks a little far out and maybe a higher resolution for a more HD look.

Some thing I do when playing with text (not saying this is what you should do, just what I like to do) -

Colour overlays with very low opacity, helps brighten things up a little.

Bevel and emboss is always a good one and really play around with it, don't just use the default settings. Also change the default colours from black and white to colours from the image.

The red colour from the cloud in the background might be good as glow.

It's a good job, very pretty

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jolz For This Useful Post:

Cath (06-28-2013)

Zoboo Land (ง˙▿˙)ง
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Time Online
    18 d 16 h 52 m
    Avg. Time Online
    15 m
    Quote Originally Posted by katzes View Post

Can anyone help me to understand how to make the text look better? I have looked at some tutorials, but I can't get how to make the text look better than just simple-looking.

Hopefully you guys will like it/accept my style since I'm doing my best to join the GFX team.
    Looking great! The colors are lovely

The font you chose for your name is fantastic. ^^ To make it stand out, you could try to color the font in a way that matches the rest of your composition. Now, looking at the rest of the signature I noticed there's little to no solid black coloring anywhere. You didn't use solid black in your text - it looks like you lowered the opacity a bit - but I'd suggest choosing a color you used in the rest of your signature again just so it feels more unified and natural, like it's meant to be there. I see that you added a slight glow around your name and a shadow as well - those look great! You can choose to make your name white (to parallel her clothing) and make the shadow a dark lavender purple to match the shadows on her clothes and the darkness in the sky and the guy's clothing. The shadow should match in color as well, basically.

That's only one way to do it though, there are plenty of ways you can match the text to the signature as well so just play around. @Wrath's idea about stroking the text with a border sounds great too. You can also set the stroke to color dodge or linear dodge at a lighter fill so it looks like it glows a bit. ^^

As for the clraik.com part - you can try looking for a pixel font on dafont.com and setting the font effect to "none" when typing to keep it crisp and clear. Then you can also match its colors to the rest of the sig :3

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daenery For This Useful Post:

Cath (06-28-2013)

Temple of Time
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,538 Times in 1,388 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1159 Post(s)
    Time Online
    156 d 15 h 53 m
    Avg. Time Online
    2 h 9 m
    Gamer IDs

@Wrath
    @Jolz
    @Daenerys

Thanks a bunch guys for the advices! I will definitely continue to work on that one and show how it turns out later tonight or tomorrow. <3 It really helps, thanks a lot!

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

@Wrath
    @Jolz
    @Daenerys

^ Sorry for the double mentions, but I changed the signature in my first post. Does it look better?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Time Online
    97 d 18 h 48 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 21 m

I like this, I love the way you used clipping masks here, it enhances the image a lot. I'd blur some C4Ds in the background though, to add depth.
    The text is okay, it isn't all to distracting, the font you used is so-so.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dream For This Useful Post:

Cath (06-28-2013)

Temple of Time
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1159 Post(s)
    Time Online
    156 d 15 h 53 m
    Avg. Time Online
    2 h 9 m
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    I like this, I love the way you used clipping masks here, it enhances the image a lot. I'd blur some C4Ds in the background though, to add depth.
    The text is okay, it isn't all to distracting, the font you used is so-so.
    Do you have any websites where there are like a bunch of C4Ds? The reason I didn't put too much is because I only have a few of them and I thought it was pretty repetitive .-.

For the fonts, I really need to download new ones. I've got my new labtop so I only had the basic ones.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Time Online
    97 d 18 h 48 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 21 m
    Do you have any websites where there are like a bunch of C4Ds? The reason I didn't put too much is because I only have a few of them and I thought it was pretty repetitive .-.

For the fonts, I really need to download new ones. I've got my new labtop so I only had the basic ones.
    I usually just download the ones in dA. xD

The basic ones look good, in my opinion. Using ones like bleeding cowboys would make it look.. overwhelming. xD

Zoboo Land (ง˙▿˙)ง
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Time Online
    18 d 16 h 52 m
    Avg. Time Online
    15 m
    @katzes

Ohhh I really like how you designed your name there! That's really clever, it feels like an extension of her armor ^^ The white and the gradient is really smooth and sleek. Awesome job. I really like it

For clraik.com, maybe try the font called "Wendy"? It's a little smaller and you can place it closer to your name. I'd use a lighter color and try to keep it crisp - with pixel fonts you want to avoid adding a blurry drop shadow because the letters are so small and too much of that detail will obscure them.

Great job with your name though, seriously. x)

Temple of Time
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1159 Post(s)
    Time Online
    156 d 15 h 53 m
    Avg. Time Online
    2 h 9 m
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Daenerys View Post
    @katzes

Ohhh I really like how you designed your name there! That's really clever, it feels like an extension of her armor ^^ The white and the gradient is really smooth and sleek. Awesome job. I really like it

For clraik.com, maybe try the font called "Wendy"? It's a little smaller and you can place it closer to your name. I'd use a lighter color and try to keep it crisp - with pixel fonts you want to avoid adding a blurry drop shadow because the letters are so small and too much of that detail will obscure them.

Great job with your name though, seriously. x)
    Aw thank you. <3 It means a lot coming from you!

I really thought I had removed every effects on the ''clraik.com'' text, I must have forgotten one, I'll go and rearrange it.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

@Daenerys

<3