78/0
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    16d 8h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m

Choosing a new VPN. +rep

So I've decided that although Private Internet Access has served me quite well so far, the limited amount of IPs available isn't good, and for the sake of saving like $2 a month I figure I'll just change VPNs. My question is which is better, Hide my Ass or Astrill VPN? I'd be buying the 6-month subscription I think, but both seem to offer a similar service with Astrill being slightly cheaper. Has anyone had positive/negative experiences with either one? I'm leaning towards Astrill because it seems to offer an almost identical service for less money.

Also, HMA specifies 'Each time you connect you get a new IP for increased anonymity.' so would this affect playing on Neo? Like if I'm logging into the same account from the same location ie. California but the IP changes every time?

Thanks, will +rep for helpful answers.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    1,190 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    58m
    My friend has used Astrill and said it was working exactly as he wanted, so I'd also go with that one.

However, if the other one always change your IP, I'd forget about it. Neo does know when you loggin with a different IP each time, and I recently got frozen because of that mistake.

Good look.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cath For This Useful Post:

Spurs (06-28-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    78/0
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    16d 8h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by katzes View Post
    My friend has used Astrill and said it was working exactly as he wanted, so I'd also go with that one.

However, if the other one always change your IP, I'd forget about it. Neo does know when you loggin with a different IP each time, and I recently got frozen because of that mistake.

Good look.
    Thanks! The only question I have based on this is the same one I asked Hinth, and that is with Astrill/HMA, does the server remain the same if I choose the same location and the IP changes? So for example, I choose an IP from Chicago one time and the server (or whatever it's called that gives me the IP address) is Company X, if I was to log off and then choose Chicago again, would the server still be Company X? Cause if so, couldn't someone claim to have a dynamic IP address, assuming the company stays the same?

Appreciate you answering, +rep

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    29 times
    Time Online
    3d 4h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I currently have a subscription to HMA VPN, but I have not used Astrill VPN before so I can't give specifics to how well Astrill works.

Unfortunately, HMA does force you to change IPs every time you decide to connect to the VPN and you will not be able to use the same IP twice so I wouldn't recommend using this on your main since it would definitely look suspicious when you end up logging in with 7+ IPs a week.

Pros:
    -very easy to setup
    -it's a large company (so you can expect stability and nearly 0% downtime)
    -the largest amount of servers available (more locations to choose from)
    -switching IPs just takes one click (extremely easy)
    -fast customer support
    -very low latency (since there are so many locations)

Astrill VPN on the other seems like it's also a pretty good service with many good reviews on their site. However, I've found that there have been instances when they went offline, and one of those was in this month. If you're looking for a service where you can use the same IP over and over I would suggest trying out Astrill but I can't guarantee that they don't use the same method as HMA. If you're dissatisfied with their service you can always ask for a refund.

Annnnnd soooo... Good luck with choosing a new VPN.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hinth For This Useful Post:

Spurs (06-28-2013),SugarCoated (06-27-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    29 times
    Time Online
    3d 4h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Company should be the same. I'll post it here when I get home.