Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    111 times
    Time Online
    22d 9h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    I think for this to even be such a hot button topic is so ridiculous and makes me lose faith in humanity!

When I was younger I didn't really understand the whole point of getting married. I mean if two people really love each other, why would they need a paper to make it official? I felt that it was just another way for the government to keep track of people and for capitalist to earn more money!
    However as I grew older (and got engaged twice, yeah I know, crazy!) I came to understand that there is just something very meaningful in being able to stand in front of all your friends and family and announce, that you love this person and want to be with them for the rest of your life. Of course you could still do that, without necessarily having a paper to prove it, but unfortunately, this little piece paper gives you so many rights, you wouldn't have if you didn't have it. Also I feel that if you want to have it, then you should be able to!

When it comes to gay marriage, I think the only people who would really be against it, would be the religious extremists and I personally don't even get why we are even listening to them. That is not to say that we shouldn't listen to peoples opinions, but when it comes to a law, that has nothing to do with them, (other than them feeling that it is wrong and being offended by it) we shouldn't be listening to them at all!

If we were to base our laws in terms of what would make religious extremists happy, then we would need to go back to the stone age. No sex before marriage. No drinking. No smoking. No drugs. Women shouldn't be at work or school, they should stay at home and take care of their children, husbands and house. We wouldn't be able to wear the clothes we wanted to. Get tattoos. Speak our minds. No abortions. And the last goes on and on.

We have absolutely no right, to say that men and women can't marry the same gender! If you feel that it's bad, wrong or immoral to marry the same gender, then DON'T do it! Just because there would be an option, doesn't mean that, you have to take this option! It wouldn't effect your life in the slightest, however it would VERY MUCH effect their lives, so please don't be a selfish jackass!

I have had this debate so many times, it's not even funny! And I am just so tired of having it, that I've actually stopped trying to better my arguments, because I just feel that it's stupid to continue this debate! Doesn't your religion teach you to be respectful of others and not judge? Well then shut the f*** up! Seriously it's not because I have anything against religious people, but just as we have NO right at all to tell you what you should believe in, you DON'T have any right to tell us, what we should believe in! Stop trying to force your belief onto others!

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

Yay I just ranked up

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Whispers For This Useful Post:

Kay (06-25-2013),Raj (06-25-2013),Winona (06-12-2015),wrath (06-25-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    68/0
    Mentioned
    1,177 times
    Time Online
    96d 22h 1m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m

Re: Gay Marriage?

Quote Originally Posted by Federation View Post
    Both probably. I have no sympathetic feelings about it. However I'm not opposed either. Marriage predates Christianity and therefore any argument about the morality or ethics of a man and a man being married based on religious views is immediately discarded in my view. And then there's the concept of marriage itself that to me is little more than paper and a party. What does marriage actually symbolize? Monogamy? Well, if you're not a slut, you could just...you know, be faithful and poof! Same thing.

To me the only reason it matters if one is married in this society is due to legality and financial purposes. At which point, I would tend to favor gay marriage because there are many legal and financial benefits to being married; benefits, taxes, etc. I don't think there should be any specific discrimination based on sexual orientation in view of the government. The government was established on the idea of freedom and equality, and though the US is rather hypocritical of that philosophy on a daily basis, once that's limited and actually fought for to deny two people of any race, gender, etc. to be married, the entire government becomes somewhat laughable and even more pathetic than it already is.

And then there's the personal level that it has no effect on me so why should I care? American values right? All I really care about is being able to do whatever the fuck I want as long as it doesn't affect anyone else that I'm doing so. And in that regard, sure, gay marriage is fine with me, don't rightly give a fuck.
    Thanks for clarifying. I agree with most of this, as I don't understand the whole religion argument (never read the Bible anyway) but it sure as hell (see what I did there) should not factor into this decision for anyone. But I believe marriage is mainly symbolism which shows two people are legally bonded. But beyond that is the proclamation of love between two people; that is all that matters. The legal bond that is made is for just that - legal purposes. That is all that is symbolized and it seems idiotic on the surface, mainly because it is. Marriage is just a bond and that is it. As for your last point, I agree completely. As long as it doesn't fuck with me, I don't care. Also thanks for clarifying your opinion, once again.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raj For This Useful Post:

Whispers (06-25-2013),wrath (06-25-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    18d 16h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Quote Originally Posted by Maditude View Post
    I agree with that. I seriously can't even wrap my head around why people care in the first place. Clearly it's religion related. Separation of church and state is such bullshit.
    I agree. I'm all for people believing what they want to believe, but when that belief begins to infringe on others' rights to the same happiness, it becomes bullying. I can't condone that.

Three of my best friends since childhood came out as gay/lesbian, and they were among the kindest and most selfless people I've ever known. To think of them not being allowed to marry the people they love makes my blood boil.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daenery For This Useful Post:

Maditude (06-25-2013),Raj (06-25-2013),Winona (06-12-2015)

Pronouns
    minty/fresh
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    1,231 times
    Time Online
    340d 23h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 59m
    Dont get me wrong, I support it, but there are bigger issues for the government to take care of than Gay Marriage, IMO.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    4d 8h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    To be honest, whenever I see 'debates' like these involving gay marriage, it's always one sided (at least on these types of forums). It SHOULD be one sided, but in that case, it really isn't a debate, is it? It's a circlejerk at this point, but whatever.

Gay marriage is legal in Canada already so clearly we're better than America

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Thunder For This Useful Post:

Maki (06-25-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    18d 16h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mint View Post
    Dont get me wrong, I support it, but there are bigger issues for the government to take care of than Gay Marriage, IMO.
    I think the point is that it should be a non-issue but it clearly isn't. Like Fed said, this country was established based on the right to freedom and equality. Trivializing gay peoples' rights to the same benefits as straight couples because it doesn't affect you isn't right.
    The people who are making it an issue are the ones opposing it due to their own ill-founded beliefs. If we'd just allow gay marriage based on the fact that they should have the same rights as everybody else, we'd of course be able to focus more of our energy on other forms of progress.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Daenery For This Useful Post:

Whispers (06-25-2013)

Pronouns
    minty/fresh
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    1,231 times
    Time Online
    340d 23h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 59m
    Quote Originally Posted by Daenerys View Post
    I think the point is that it should be a non-issue but it clearly isn't. Like Fed said, this country was established based on the right to freedom and equality. Trivializing gay peoples' rights to the same benefits as straight couples because it doesn't affect you isn't right.
    The people who are making it an issue are the ones opposing it due to their own ill-founded beliefs. If we'd just allow gay marriage based on the fact that they should have the same rights as everybody else, we'd of course be able to focus more of our energy on other forms of progress.
    If I was good with words that'd basically be my post

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    487 times
    Time Online
    26d 4h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Please read all of this before thinking I'm homophobic

Gays being married in a church I'm not for. Being married in a church is Christian/Catholic event and those religions are against homosexuality and they are not going to change their views on it because 1 verse in 1 chapter from a book was written 400 years AFTER the person apparently said it.

As someone who is not religious like myself, I actually don't want to be married in a church, I'm not part of that religion, so why marry into it? I am 100% for gay rights and I don't deem it as gay marriage... it's just marriage, don't matter who it's between.

I believe in evolution, big bang and not religion so I am not welcome in their church and neither is homosexuality. We shouldn't try and force our way in like they shouldn't force their views on us.

I plan on being married at a registry office like my sister was. People are put off by the idea of a registry office wedding but (i don't know what its like in USA) they really do make the place look amazing. I will post a couple for pictures form my sisters wedding so you can see. Their not as grand as a church but everyone was there and isn't that more important then a church?

I see you have an opinion?

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jolz For This Useful Post:

Daenery (06-25-2013),Mod (06-25-2013),Slasher (06-27-2013),Thunder (06-25-2013),Winona (06-12-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    I agree with your perspective on not submitting yourself to another's religion simply because it is mainstream and expected.
    All dependent on the dominant religion, dominant culture, based on your location. And in the Western world, it's the Church.

You always astound me with such intellectual thoughts and a strong voice in spite of others' opinions, and your appearance, Thor.
    (Then again, you are the Thundergod, amirite?)

Quote Originally Posted by Jolz View Post
    Andy
    A boss, like his father in his age; white tux.
    But with sneaks for 2013.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

Jolz (06-25-2013)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    37 times
    Time Online
    48d 20h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolz View Post
    As someone who is not religious like myself, I actually don't want to be married in a church, I'm not part of that religion, so why marry into it? I am 100% for gay rights and I don't deem it as gay marriage... it's just marriage, don't matter who it's between.
    That's actually a really good point that I never thought of. o.O I've always assumed I would get married in a church (if I get married), but I'm not religious at all. I just never questioned it. Interesting.

And I kinda of agree with @(you need an account to see links) (not sure about the Canada thing but I'll let it go ), when I saw this thread I thought that is probably wouldn't be much of an actual debate. The generation most of us are from are much more understanding than our parents'/grandparents' generation because I think most of us grew up being taught that everyone is different and that is okay.

I don't have a problem with gay marriage at all.