Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Legalize it: for or against the removal of marijuana from the controlled substances act

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    228 times
    Time Online
    35d 5h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m

Legalize it: for or against the removal of marijuana from the controlled substances act

lol prepare for a wall of text - this is probably one of the things I am most passionate about, politically and personally speaking.

I am quite surprised there is nothing in this section on legalizing marijuana. I personally happen to be a big fan of weed for many reasons, only one of which is "I like to get high". Obviously I like it, but the medicinal benefits it provides for me far outweigh the negatives - mostly because I can't find any!

I have alot of health problems. The two main issues I have are a heartburn condition that literally causes unceasing heartburn, I have it 24/7. I have forgotten what life without heartburn was like. The other is depression/anxiety. I would say that marijuana helps me the most with my anxiety. I do NOT like to take anxiety medicines, as I feel like a zombie on them. They make me tired and fatigued and I cannot for the life of me figure out why people would want to take them to get high, but that's just me I guess. I have bad anxiety attacks sometimes, and while I can do my best to allay the more severe symptoms with things like breathing and calming exercises, they only work for a minute at most. Weed is my anxiety medication. I can have one for hours that refuses to go away, but then I smoke and it's gone. I'm not a zombie, I am still completely functional, and my anxiety is gone. I should also throw in there that it is a much better "high" than any anxiety meds I have tried. As for the heartburn, it's more of a way to relax all of the very tense muscles in my chest/abdomen/shoulders. As long as I don't have that, I can deal with the heartburn if the weed doesn't take care of it.

Aside from it's health benefits, and trust me there is a staggering list of conditions it can help with, it could give our economy a great boost. Of course I don't want to pay taxes, but taxing marijuana with the amount of people that smoke it in this country, we could make an astronomical amount of money from it. Money that could go to schools, fighting REAL crimes, rebuilding desolate areas.. there are so many things we could do. In it's FIRST day, the dispensary that opened in Colorado made 5 million dollars, then an impressive 14 million in it's first month! That's 2 million dollars in one month alone in taxes. 1.9 million dollars of that money was put into Colorado's education system.

Prescription pill abuse went down dramatically in all of the states with laws allowing the recreational use of marijuana, DUI percentage went down, so many jobs were opened up to people, the crime rate has dramatically decreased. We could free up so many cells in jails across the country, saving us millions in tax dollars for feeding and caring for inmates who are in jail for posession or selling. They don't need to be in there.

Best of all the production of hemp could save us so much money, creating much less expensive ways to make clothing, paper products, foods, and so many other things we use every day, that currently cost alot of money to make, or destroy habitable forests or other areas.

Let me sum up most of the negative arguments people will have about marijuana:
    1. It is immoral to legalize something that is considered a controlled substance.
    2. Weed is addictive and can destroy your life.
    3. It is a gateway drug and more people will do heavier things.
    4. More children will start to smoke marijuana if it is legal.
    5. Weed is bad for you.
    6. Marijuana makes people lazy, fat, and unmotivated.

Let me explain why these are stupid.
    We should never base any kind of argument off of morality, because every single person in this world has their own set of morals. For years the government has thrown shade on marijuana, making it look bad for you, or putting out false advertisements of people picking up a gun and shooting themselves when they're high. I really don't think I need to explain why this is stupid.

Weed is not in any way addictive, I smoke it every day normally but I haven't had it in three days now and I am completely fine. Sure, i'm sitting here wishing I had it but it's not a physical craving, I am not withdrawing. I can go without marijuana forever if I wanted, without issue.

I can tell you with 100% sincerity and confidence that weed is not a gateway drug. I have no desire to do anything besides smoke.

I cannot refute or back this argument. Frankly, no one knows if more people, or children, will start doing it.

Weed is not in any way bad for you, actually. People have said for many years that it kills brain cells, but they have done studies on this and have actually proven that very wrong. Smoking anything can negatively impact your lungs, so I guess that would be the only negative. There is literally not a single death in history from marijuana.

Every person in the world will handle weed differently. It is completely up to the person how they act, how they handle it financially, what they get done while under the influence of the drug. So really, this is a very stupid argument.

So, based on personal experience, lack thereof, any information you may have gleaned from the internet, or even this post, how do you feel about it? Are you for or against legalizing marijuana?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    636 times
    Time Online
    88d 2h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    33m
    There is a board on legalizing marijuana already, among other drugs.
    Not that there can't be two, b'yeah.

(you need an account to see links)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    Quote Originally Posted by Whither View Post
    Every person in the world will handle weed differently. It is completely up to the person how they act, how they handle it financially, what they get done while under the influence of the drug. So really, this is a very stupid argument.
    I won't repeat my reasons I've already cited on the thread @(you need an account to see links) posted, however I would like to point out that you refute the reasons against marijuana with your own personal experiences, yet then say the above statement. Doesn't that in itself suggest, by your own words, that whilst the negative consequences may not be applicable to your situation, it is entirely possible for them to happen to another? Because while your personal experiences may suggest that everything on pot is fine and dandy like sugar candy, other people might have, as you said, "handle[d] weed differently"; my personal experiences are the opposite of yours. Of your points, numbers 2, 3, 5 and 6 have all been true in my experiences.

Weed is not in any way addictive, I smoke it every day normally but I haven't had it in three days now and I am completely fine. Sure, i'm sitting here wishing I had it but it's not a physical craving, I am not withdrawing. I can go without marijuana forever if I wanted, without issue.

I can tell you with 100% sincerity and confidence that weed is not a gateway drug. I have no desire to do anything besides smoke.
    These might be true for you, but as everyone handles things differently you cannot definitively state that neither of these things are true for others.

I agree with you that everyone handles things differently, but you contradict this when saying that marijuana is a good thing and to think otherwise is stupid.
    Last edited by Mama Bear; 02-26-2015 at 09:28 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 1h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    As a smoker on seldom occasions, I would like to see it legalized. Not only because I enjoy it from time to time, but I see the negative effect it has on people around me when they get "busted" with small-large amounts of it and are put into the system.

Ok, it's a plant. Yes, it impairs your judgement. No, you should not be driving on it whether you're a nascar driver or a fed ex driver or an old lady when you're sober. It shouldn't be done. Sure, you think you can do it just fine, but in reality, your reflexes and judgment ARE impaired and you aren't driving to the best of your true abilities. You may not believe you're a risk to the people around you but you are. Stop doing it. Don't do it. I have a DWI on my record, and I was "invincible" when I was doing it. I could have cops follow me for miles without even second guessing my sobriety. Should I have done it, no. I could have gotten in an accident, I could have hurt myself or someone around me whether they be in the passenger seat, another vehicle, or a pedestrian. I would personally want to commit suicide if I were to hurt someone while driving impaired (whether it be on alcohol, marijuana, coke, meth, heroin, or fucking bath salts, whatever) and that's saying something as my dad committed suicide and it's the most selfish thing someone could ever do.

Ok I'm off topic sort of.

I feel as though the decriminalization would reap great benefits if done in a controlled environment. Don't allow just anyone to grow and harvest the crop as this would cause people experimenting with strains/additives/etc. and could make a potentially harmful man-made drug. If it were to be in a controlled setting, I think it could be a good thing. I mean, look at Colorado; they have made a shit ton of tax money off of the decriminalization.

I am, an avid drinker, however; and I'd just like to point out that I would much rather see marijuana legalized and alcohol prohibited again. Alcohol has little to no benefits. Sure the "glass of wine a day" thing could be true as far as digestive health or whatever the bullshit they spew at you is, but in reality, not many people are having a glass of wine while reading a book at bed time like Katherine Heigl movies. Get real.

The benefits of marijuana FAR outweigh the risks. There'd be street dealers out of business, there'd be a ton of different linens/paper/and if I remember correctly, you can even fuel vehicles from the oil of the plants.

For fuck's sake it's a no brainer. I'm done ranting for now, I could go on with this subject for days upon days.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Misha For This Useful Post:

spleef35 (02-27-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    228 times
    Time Online
    35d 5h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    The point I was making when I said that everyone handles it differently is that you can't say that is going to happen to everyone. Every person is responsible for themselves and their actions and blaming the drug itself is a very false argument. It may be true for others, but that is entirely to do with them and how they handle it and just blaming the drug is stupid.

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post
    As a smoker on seldom occasions, I would like to see it legalized. Not only because I enjoy it from time to time, but I see the negative effect it has on people around me when they get "busted" with small-large amounts of it and are put into the system.

Ok, it's a plant. Yes, it impairs your judgement. No, you should not be driving on it whether you're a nascar driver or a fed ex driver or an old lady when you're sober. It shouldn't be done. Sure, you think you can do it just fine, but in reality, your reflexes and judgment ARE impaired and you aren't driving to the best of your true abilities. You may not believe you're a risk to the people around you but you are. Stop doing it. Don't do it. I have a DWI on my record, and I was "invincible" when I was doing it. I could have cops follow me for miles without even second guessing my sobriety. Should I have done it, no. I could have gotten in an accident, I could have hurt myself or someone around me whether they be in the passenger seat, another vehicle, or a pedestrian. I would personally want to commit suicide if I were to hurt someone while driving impaired (whether it be on alcohol, marijuana, coke, meth, heroin, or fucking bath salts, whatever) and that's saying something as my dad committed suicide and it's the most selfish thing someone could ever do.

Ok I'm off topic sort of.

I feel as though the decriminalization would reap great benefits if done in a controlled environment. Don't allow just anyone to grow and harvest the crop as this would cause people experimenting with strains/additives/etc. and could make a potentially harmful man-made drug. If it were to be in a controlled setting, I think it could be a good thing. I mean, look at Colorado; they have made a shit ton of tax money off of the decriminalization.

I am, an avid drinker, however; and I'd just like to point out that I would much rather see marijuana legalized and alcohol prohibited again. Alcohol has little to no benefits. Sure the "glass of wine a day" thing could be true as far as digestive health or whatever the bullshit they spew at you is, but in reality, not many people are having a glass of wine while reading a book at bed time like Katherine Heigl movies. Get real.

The benefits of marijuana FAR outweigh the risks. There'd be street dealers out of business, there'd be a ton of different linens/paper/and if I remember correctly, you can even fuel vehicles from the oil of the plants.

For fuck's sake it's a no brainer. I'm done ranting for now, I could go on with this subject for days upon days.
    Yes, agreed with pretty much this entire post lol.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 1h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Unfortunately, when you get into the business side other than medical marijuana, you can't find anything that will be profitable for the big businesses, which is why it will never happen.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    228 times
    Time Online
    35d 5h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Or if you think about all the money the government would be losing in the process. If it doesn't benefit them, they won't do it. Too much money to be made from busts -___-

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rachel View Post
    There is a board on legalizing marijuana already, among other drugs.
    Not that there can't be two, b'yeah.

(you need an account to see links)
    Thanks, Rachel, I must have missed it. Sorry 'bout that :p

Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    104d 6h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    I think that people who say weed has no-very few risks aren't aware of the problems it can cause. Lung cancer, secondhand smoke, all that nasty shit. Sure, tobacco comes with all of that too, but people who don't smoke generally don't like being around that. It's just not a pleasant thing at all. The smell that both tobacco and weed cause, the smoke that's going into people's lungs who don't smoke, etc. Not to mention relationship-wise it's an instant turn off for me if someone smokes anything. I have a brother who has serious asthma problems. Any time he walks by someone smoking something, he goes into an attack and immediately needs an inhaler or he quite literally can't breathe. There's tons of people out there who have problems like that. I have terrible allergies and will cough/sneeze for a while after passing someone smoking anything. It's just selfish to be smoking anything in public. If it did get legalized, I would want it to be highly regulated. You can't openly drink in public so if it gets legalized, at least have the courtesy to do it away from where people are at. No one has the right to expose non-smokers to anything like that. It's just disrespectful.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to learningtoneopet1 For This Useful Post:

Clear (05-09-2015),Mama Bear (02-27-2015),spleef35 (02-27-2015)

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    172/0
    Mentioned
    657 times
    Time Online
    182d 5h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 15m
    Quote Originally Posted by Whither View Post
    The point I was making when I said that everyone handles it differently is that you can't say that is going to happen to everyone. Every person is responsible for themselves and their actions and blaming the drug itself is a very false argument. It may be true for others, but that is entirely to do with them and how they handle it and just blaming the drug is stupid.
    You blame the person for choosing to take a substance that alters the way they might otherwise have handled a situation; like alcohol, it impairs your judgement and thus your ability to make the best choices. If the drug affects your ability to make your normal choices, how it is not partially responsible for what that person does? It's ok, Mr Meth-head. The drug isn't to blame for your actions. You are, for putting yourself in the situation where you might have an adverse reaction and hurt people. Allowing everything and just blaming the person for how they handle it isn't logical. If I make a cancer cure that kills 50% of people who take it, should I blame the people for handling it badly? I hyperbolise to make a point.

As I said in the other thread, legitimate medical use is fine with me. My objection is to your use of high modality in your original post. It is worded in a sense that lends it absolute authority, because it is true for you. It seems to suggest that anyone who has a less-than-positive reaction is to blame themselves, rather than looking at anything else.

Weed is not in any way addictive
    For you. For others, including much of my family, it is.
    I can tell you with 100% sincerity and confidence that weed is not a gateway drug
    For you. But you can't, with 100% sincerity and confidence, say that it won't open other people up to the idea of other drugs. This one is illegal and wasn't so bad. Maybe ice will be the same way.

I'm happy that you have not had a negative reaction with your smoking. I truly am, as I'd hate for others to experience what I have. I am just very concerned that other people, particularly younger readers, might see your post as a blanket truth, rather than an individual one. Just because I'm able to handle juggling chainsaws doesn't mean I'm going to put a post saying "Juggling chainsaws is super easy. I've never had an injury whilst doing it, I say with 100% sincerity. It's fun, great exercise and improves your hand-eye coordination."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Bear For This Useful Post:

cloudxcrash (05-28-2015)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    104d 6h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus View Post
    For you. But you can't, with 100% sincerity and confidence, say that it won't open other people up to the idea of other drugs. This one is illegal and wasn't so bad. Maybe ice will be the same way.

I'm happy that you have not had a negative reaction with your smoking. I truly am, as I'd hate for others to experience what I have. I am just very concerned that other people, particularly younger readers, might see your post as a blanket truth, rather than an individual one. Just because I'm able to handle juggling chainsaws doesn't mean I'm going to put a post saying "Juggling chainsaws is super easy. I've never had an injury whilst doing it, I say with 100% sincerity. It's fun, great exercise and improves your hand-eye coordination."
    Going off of this, I've known way too many people who start with weed and move to harder stuff. Anyone who has lived on campus at a college can tell how people change once they start smoking. Multiple people in my dorm had never drank or done any drugs before. They decided to smoke weed at a party one day and they've slowly changed since that day. They started out just smoking once every few weeks, but they've started getting high every few days now. These people then started to do adderall because they couldn't keep their grades up anymore since they were out getting high when they could've been studying. A few of them have tried coke now too. Who knows what they'll go to next? The pot high isn't as exciting for people when they start to do it regularly, so they go to different drugs to get a new high.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to learningtoneopet1 For This Useful Post:

cloudxcrash (05-28-2015),spleef35 (02-27-2015)