Thanks
    Mentioned
    111 times
    Time Online
    22d 9h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m

Is this allowed?

I have been wondering for some time, if it's allowed to purchase old booster packs, stickers, plushies etc.. (all the things that have item codes) and then use the codes.
    I would think that the answer would obviously be yes, but I've been surprised quite a few times, regarding what is and isn't allowed.
    I mean it could give you an "unfair" advantage, if you for example got a lot of great items. It could also be considered against the rules, if they don't allow you to resell. I don't know, if you are allowed to resell or not, but if it isn't allowed, then maybe they could say that you obviously bought them online and therefore it is against the rules or something. I honestly don't know, but I have just seen them give BS reasons, so many times before, so I just expect it.

I know this is a cheating forum, so most people probably don't care if it's allowed or not, but I just don't want to risk it.
    I would prefer if you have a direct quote from TNT, which says that it's allowed or disallowed.

Thanks a ton

Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    93 times
    Time Online
    28d 5h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    I mean, given that johnscardsforsale, a very rich neopian, used to do that and got very very rich off of it, I would imagine it to be legal. He might still do it, I really don't talk to him anymore but I know for a fact he has turned in hundreds of codes for the items.

A little more research shows that yes, it is legal. TnT has never commented on it as far as I know of, but Jellyneo does have a page outlining the use of RICs and I can't imagine why it would no longer be allowed. The idea itself seems shady on TnTs part, but honestly, they have proven time and time again that $$ > Rules.

On a final note, it may be worth your time (and money) to buy from users on cK if you are looking for neopoint purchases. While it may be against the rules, many users do in fact buy neopoints and get away with it. It is more cost efficient as well, and you are probably just as likely to be banned for a nonsensical reason as you are to be banned for buying neopoints. Just my opinion however, feel free to PM me with any further questions.
    Last edited by Frank12; 06-23-2013 at 11:23 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank12 For This Useful Post:

Whispers (06-23-2013)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    29 times
    Time Online
    2d 22h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    people often use old codes for items

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    111 times
    Time Online
    22d 9h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank12 View Post
    On a final note, it may be worth your time (and money) to buy from users on cK if you are looking for neopoint purchases. While it may be against the rules, many users do in fact buy neopoints and get away with it. It is more cost efficient as well, and you are probably just as likely to be banned for a nonsensical reason as you are to be banned for buying neopoints. Just my opinion however, feel free to PM me with any further questions.
    I know that, I am actually buying an epic main with all the extras, it's just that I wouldn't want to do anything that could ever risk that main, I want it to be my permanent main and I am also paying quite a large sum of money for it. So I want a way to be able to get a ton of NP/Items without risking the account and without technically cheating.
    This would obviously be in the future, I would try to stay as invisible as I can for at least 3-6 months, so as to not attract unnecessary attention from TNT or users.

Also thank you for doing some searching around, I am still hoping that somebody has a direct statement from TNT though

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    7d 17h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    The sale of the actual codes is prohibited under Rule 5 of the chat rules.

Second-hand sales of plushies or booster packs are never expressly prohibited as far as I can find. Indeed, there is no way TNT could prove you bought the items second hand rather than just you bought it ages ago and didn't use the codes yet so it's fine to do. They wouldn't want to risk accidentally freezing an avid purchaser of merchandise.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoSunset For This Useful Post:

Whispers (06-23-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    111 times
    Time Online
    22d 9h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    @(you need an account to see links) when you say that the actual sale of codes is prohibited, does that mean that it is prohibited to buy second-hand booster packs?
    Also thanks a lot

If anybody know is buying second-hand merchandise is allowed or not, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    93 times
    Time Online
    28d 5h 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m
    That ruling only applies to the sale of item codes onsite.

"A Rare Item Code can only be redeemed once and once only. There have been scams floating around the Neoboards where users would try and "sell" Rare Item Codes to others in exchange for Neopoints. In most of these cases, the scammer had already redeemed the code themselves and claimed the item from it, thereby making it useless, and the hapless Neopian who "bought" the code from them was left with nothing but a string of random letters and numbers and the feeling of being cheated." - Jellyneo

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank12 For This Useful Post:

Whispers (06-23-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    7d 17h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Whispers View Post
    @(you need an account to see links) when you say that the actual sale of codes is prohibited, does that mean that it is prohibited to buy second-hand booster packs?
    Also thanks a lot

If anybody know is buying second-hand merchandise is allowed or not, I would greatly appreciate it!
    Nah just the actual codes themselves are banned.

Found your answer, sales of second-hand things are ok though they won't provide support if there are issues with the code:
    (you need an account to see links)
    Hi! So, I recently found my Pocket Neopet and started playing with it again. I was wondering if the Rare Item Codes from it are still redeemable? ~macale4
    Yes, they are still redeemable. If you have an issue redeeming them, we can assist only if you have the original receipt for the Pocket Neopet. We cannot give replacement codes for second-hand items.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoSunset For This Useful Post:

Whispers (06-23-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    111 times
    Time Online
    22d 9h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    @(you need an account to see links) thanks so much, this was exactly what I was looking for! (+rep, though I only have 1 rep power)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    It's allowed; though for safety, you shouldn't openly state you bought the codes alone off some place.

-You're blowing your own, real money on these things to begin with. TNT and Neopets has already got the coin from your wallet, why can't you use whatever you spend on?
    -The Neopets TCG and much of its past merchandise has already been phased out years ago, the only way to obtain them now is through second-hand sellers anyways, not to mention the odd user who forgot about a code they already owned.

-Even now, occasionally there is a loser on the boards (particularly BD Chat) who talks about how they just eBayed a full booster box or two and opens all the packs, redeeming the codes asap while the rest of the board encourages him/her.
    -It is a huge waste of money hoping to get something awesome from these codes. It's common for the aforementioned users to blow 36-72 packs straight and get a few virtual TCG cards, and "Lint-Covered Peanut"s. The chance of getting something like a "Skarls Sword" is probably 1/1000 booster packs (my estimation).