Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alright, my turn to ask for some advice.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    21d 9h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren. View Post
    Oh I didn't even think about that. Awkward. There's people I know who are married but not living together and they're just dating other people. Have been for months now. I'm like wtf, do you guys not know what it means to get divorced? Bleh. Everyone's different I guess.
    I know, it's been like an ongoing thing for over a year; my dad will come back after a while, leave after a bad fight, and then date someone for a few months, and when they break up he comes back again. My mom just lets it happen because she would never consider divorce, but I personally wish they would just get divorced so I wouldn't have to see my dad

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    375 times
    Time Online
    32d 10h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    If I were you, I'd go because it is his day. But I would make sure to tell him after the fact, maybe not tomorrow, that you wished you could have been more a part of the plan making process because you're his daughter, too. That is such a tough situation, and while I've never had to go through a parent remarrying or having step/half brothers/sisters myself, I can imagine how hard is must be for you to feel like the third wheel to your own dad. I'm sorry.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mojo For This Useful Post:

Sylveon (06-15-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    32d 21h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by juliaxo View Post
    I know, it's been like an ongoing thing for over a year; my dad will come back after a while, leave after a bad fight, and then date someone for a few months, and when they break up he comes back again. My mom just lets it happen because she would never consider divorce, but I personally wish they would just get divorced so I wouldn't have to see my dad
    My father & stepmother were so ignorant when they first started their "relationship". Leaving flowers and cards/love notes for her to find in HER house. I'm glad she had the nerve to leave. Hopefully your mom will find her nerve some day. It might just take time.

Of course she got almost nothing out of him because he threatened to take me and I was more important than money.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    172 times
    Time Online
    16d 13h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I think you should definitely try to go.

If you absolutely see yourself being completely uncomfortable, try to come up with an alternate.

If your half-sister is taking him to lunch/breakfast, maybe you can take him to dinner. Or maybe vice-versa.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    4/0
    Mentioned
    34 times
    Time Online
    32d 21h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    If I were you, I'd go because it is his day. But I would make sure to tell him after the fact, maybe not tomorrow, that you wished you could have been more a part of the plan making process because you're his daughter, too. That is such a tough situation, and while I've never had to go through a parent remarrying or having step/half brothers/sisters myself, I can imagine how hard is must be for you to feel like the third wheel to your own dad. I'm sorry.
    It is his day and I really do want it to be nice for him. He's just so hard to talk to, it almost makes me wonder how much it's worth, trying to get this across to him.

I'm going to give it a shot though. Thank you!

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jena View Post
    I think you should definitely try to go.

If you absolutely see yourself being completely uncomfortable, try to come up with an alternate.

If your half-sister is taking him to lunch/breakfast, maybe you can take him to dinner. Or maybe vice-versa.
    This was something I'd thought about too. Maybe even allowing them to have their day, since that's pretty much what it is, and then have our day together. It's not that I wouldn't want to see him on Father's Day, but if it gets ruined by petty comments or something of that sort....idk, I'd just feel awful.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    21d 9h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren. View Post
    My father & stepmother were so ignorant when they first started their "relationship". Leaving flowers and cards/love notes for her to find in HER house. I'm glad she had the nerve to leave. Hopefully your mom will find her nerve some day. It might just take time.

Of course she got almost nothing out of him because he threatened to take me and I was more important than money.
    I hope my mom gets the nerve. It's frustrating, before they started to fight my dad was nice to my mom and my brother and not me, literally I'm like the hated child in the family but I honestly don't care that much.