Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need some quick help with calming down a crying child?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 22h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    Quote Originally Posted by juliaxo View Post
    HAHA I wish I could, my parents said they used to give me a tiny bit of whiskey when I had toothaches. I don't know if that's smart or they were just shitty parents
    No it's the smart parents secret weapon. Just don't use the hard stuff like cocaine and you will be good!

Quote Originally Posted by Drizzy View Post
    I was gunna say rum but to each his own !
    Rum works too!
    Might as well line up a few bottles with rum/vodka/tequila/whiskey/etc and see which one the baby likes best!
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

2. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Jules (06-14-2013)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/1
    Mentioned
    251 times
    Time Online
    14d 3h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    @(you need an account to see links)
    Another good thing for teething is taking a wash cloth and get it damp, put it the freezer for a few mins, and let them suck on it, the coolness helps the fever in the gums.
    I watch my 3 year old niece a lot, and did the same for my nephew.
    A few other things you could try -
    - Put laughing baby videos up on YouTube. Im not sure why, but babies seem to like watching other babies.
    Other funny/baby stuff works good too on YT.
    - If you have some sort of rocking chair, he might just be cranky from waking up, possibly try rocking him for a bit.
    - Foods are a good bribe too, my niece loves bananas, so maybe try something along that line?
    - Singing, even if you have a terrible voice, babies like the soothing comforting tone in your voice, it doesn't even have to be a baby song, sing anything you want!
    - Baths, I would put my niece in a little warmish water in the tub with a few toys and just let her wear herself out.

Hope you get him calmed down, I know how stressful a baby can be when they just won't stop crying.
    It sort of makes you feel helpless lol.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    2d 10h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Oh dear, please do not give the child any kind of alcohol lol. First thing you should do is get some confidence. Kids smells fear like other animals Other than that crying is distressing for YOU but is not really the end of the world to a 2 year old. Kids that age I always shoot for the three basic needs. Poop check (change if necessary), feed, and then put back to sleep. He's 2 so he can basically eat anything. Find something soft like a banana. Kids love bananas I wouldn't give him any kind of milk because you say you've never babysat before and you don't know if he's lactose intolerant or if his mom feeds him something particular. A banana is safe because it's low in pesticides even when not organic, easy to chew very little chance of choking, and I've not really ever heard of anyone being allergic to bananas. After you give him the banana you'll have to start troubleshooting whatever his routine is. If you know how mama puts him to sleep try that. If you don't try singing, cuddling, rocking, and then just try putting him back in his crib shutting the door turning on a fan or something an leaving for a minute or 2. My son for example does NOT want to be held or cuddled when he wants to sleep. Now if he's in the room by himself and he continues to cry for more than a couple minutes or if the tone of his cry sounds like he's absolutely losing his marbles you'll wanna go grab him. Hope that helps. In fact it's morning now so this probably isn't even an issue anymore lol. Prayers for daddy going out and hopefully they are back now. In the future above info is solid haha.
    Last edited by jet; 06-17-2013 at 07:46 AM.