98/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    18d 15h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m

Anyone here use VPNs?

I wanted to delve deeper into autobuying, cheating, and general naughtiness.

I have used proxy lists before but I started looking at virtual private networks as a maybe better way to do things.

Anyone have anything to say about them? I just skimmed the surface, so if anyone who uses it/them can give an opinion, that would be great.
    Last edited by Thane; 06-13-2013 at 10:26 PM. Reason: meant networks not servers. :)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    VPNs are different from VPS.

VPNs are better than proxies for the most part (especially if you're not paying),
    they're faster, more stable, and more secure.

There is no possibility of an unauthorized interception of your data unless your VPN provider is a sneak (very rare, and who would for Neopets?).

When you switch on a VPN, it'll encrypt your entire connection. All traffic from your computer will be routed to the VPN and use its IP address. An easy work-around to get more IPs is to use proxies after your VPN is up, but not many people do that - it'll be slow AS anyways.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    98/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    18d 15h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    VPNs are different from VPS.

VPNs are better than proxies for the most part (especially if you're not paying),
    they're faster, more stable, and more secure.

There is no possibility of an unauthorized interception of your data unless your VPN provider is a sneak (very rare, and who would for Neopets?).

When you switch on a VPN, it'll encrypt your entire connection. All traffic from your computer will be routed to the VPN and use its IP address. An easy work-around to get more IPs is to use proxies after your VPN is up, but not many people do that - it'll be slow AS anyways.
    I meant VPN my bad. But, that's exactly what I wanted to know. So the VPN would have I guess a static IP address. What if someone ( like TNT) were to ban the IP I was using through a VPN?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    82/0
    Mentioned
    135 times
    Time Online
    30d 14h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    I use to use VPN direct and it was an awesome VPN, At one stage it was the only way my neopets accounts wouldn't be banned.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Quote Originally Posted by Casu Marzu View Post
    So the VPN would have I guess a static IP address. What if someone ( like TNT) were to ban the IP I was using through a VPN?
    Yes and no. Most VPNs (all free ones for sure) will randomly assign you to one of their servers each time you switch it on, so it's unlikely you'll get the same IP unless you have the dedication to keep re-connecting until you hit it. It's dynamic in that sense. But static, in that once you're connected, it won't change.
    (There are some VPNs that offer selectable, static IPs, but none of those are free.)

If TNT were to ban your VPN IP, not much would happen.
    For one, you (or anyone else) can't use that IP for Neopets anymore, any Neopets' accounts that used that IP recently will probably get chained, both yours and others who used it.
    Secondly, you could just re-connect and get another VPN IP then.

I haven't heard of any VPN IP bans though, and if there are, probably go unnoticed due to the dynamic assignment, and usual random selection of 1/100+ VPN servers, dep. on VPN used.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

Thane (06-13-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    98/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    18d 15h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Alright well that was informative, thanks.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    55 times
    Time Online
    23d 18h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    Yes and no. Most VPNs (all free ones for sure) will randomly assign you to one of their servers each time you switch it on, so it's unlikely you'll get the same IP unless you have the dedication to keep re-connecting until you hit it. It's dynamic in that sense. But static, in that once you're connected, it won't change.
    (There are some VPNs that offer selectable, static IPs, but none of those are free.)
    Not sure if I understood this correctly, mind explaining more about this? If let say, I plan to SS or AB on a cheating account. If each time I connect to the VPN (on different days) they'll give me different IPs, then would TNT find it suspicious for my IP to change everyday and never be the same as before? Or does it not matter?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/1
    Mentioned
    562 times
    Time Online
    118d 6h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Defiantly worth paying for a decent vpn , hotspot shield for e.g free version gives me the same ip many times and sometimes you will visit forums and find u are ip banned due to a user using it before you to spam or something :X.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DarkByte For This Useful Post:

Mod (06-16-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Quote Originally Posted by aviator View Post
    Not sure if I understood this correctly, mind explaining more about this? If let say, I plan to SS or AB on a cheating account. If each time I connect to the VPN (on different days) they'll give me different IPs, then would TNT find it suspicious for my IP to change everyday and never be the same as before? Or does it not matter?
    What rdd said.

To answer your question, yes. That is a risk of suspicion TNT can throw at you, though I haven't known of many (or any) users frozen for having different VPN IPs every time they go on Neo...yet. TNT won't freeze you unless there's a strong reason to, and by then, they probably would anyways, regardless of VPN usage or not. It may increase their opinion on freezing you or give them more to say against you, if you try to get a frozen account back too.

In your defense, you could say you've subscribed to a shared internet plan, where it includes VPN for all. Or say you play during work, and your company has a VPN installed for all company computers, etc. Just a couple of ideas, if you'll ever need any excuses.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

aviator (06-16-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    40 times
    Time Online
    9d 19h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m