46/0
    Mentioned
    471 times
    Time Online
    50d 14h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m

Tattoos tattoos tattoos.

I haven't really seen a thread for this, unless it was talking about pain, and I have a lot of questions regarding them, especially since I'm still considering being a tattoo artist for a career and have had many bad experiences myself.

Do you guys think people should ONLY get tattoos with a purpose, or is art a major aspect of it?
    Are you against getting tattoos solely for nice art?
    Do you guys have/want to get tattoos?
    Any stories behind them?

Personally, I have five tattoos, six if you count one that I covered up.
    Two of them have meanings behind them, but one was covered up because of bad art, and the cover-up is also not too swell of art.
    I used my own art as the tattoo, and I'm honestly tired of looking at it (like I always get with my own stuff) and I wish I would have gotten a tattoo of the tattooist's nice art, more-so than just went for the meaning.

I think getting a tattoo solely for the art aspect is absolutely fine. Tons of people do it, "just because it looks pretty". I have bows on my feet that are completely irrelevant to everything, but they're adorbs okay.

Anddd, I have five currently, like I said.
    - A large octopus on my ribs/stomach/belly button/hips that isn't finished. It still needs to be completely colored, and I'm wanting some sort of flowers, or feminine something to scattered around/behind it.
    - Two small bat silhouettes on the left side of my stomach (that will be covered up soon enough)
    - A red bow on both of my feet. (fun fact: the color of the ink is called 'monthly red') Once again, going to probably cover them up.
    - And the outline of a swallow on my back, which will also be covered up eventually.
    + Three butterfly silhouettes that are now covered.

4/5 of my tattoos are getting covered up, even though most of them have some sort of significance, mostly because of bad art. So I'm certainly all for good art tattoos without a meaning. If you like looking at it, shit, go for it!
    I got the bows on my feet with my mother. She got a broken heart that I drew when I was in middle school and going through a bad period tattooed on her foot at the same time. They're colored terribly because I pissed off the guy while he was doing them, so I'm eventually going to get better bows, or something completely different.
    The two bats were suppose to be an opposite to the butterflies on the other side, like dark and light sort of. Shittily done, and they're pointless and dumb and bring bad memories.
    The swallow was random. I could say it has a sort of "break free, blah blah blah" meaning to it, but it really doesn't. It was just a random drawing I did, and I wanted to let my brother-in-law practice his tattooing on me. It turned out nicely, but it's a useless tattoo.
    The octopus covered up three ugly terribly done butterflies that I got for my mother on my ribs, and the octopus represents being able to adapt. If they break off a leg, they grow it back. Some even change colors, size, etc. to adapt, and I've had to do that a lot in my life. I just wish I would have been more careful about selecting the artwork for it. Being that it's on my side/stomach, it's just a big lump. It's not very form-fitting, doesn't flow, and looks very out of place on my body. It's way too big to cover up though, so I'm hoping to even it out with flowers or something form-fitting up my sides.

I want many, many, many, many more tattoos, but I'm actually being careful and considering them for a while first.
    And I'm broke, but still.

Everyone told me to wait and not be impulsive about my tattoos, but I of course didn't wait and got my first one at fifteen, and almost immediately regretted most.
    The nerd in me almost wants a complete gaming based sleeve, but oh lord, some girls just look plan ridiculous with tattoos sleeves, and being my luck, I'd be one of them.
    So idk, we'll see.

Note - feet, ribs, hips, shoulder, etc. are not painful at all compared to getting something AROUND YOUR BELLY BUTTON OH MY GOD. I have a stupid high tolerance for pain, and that shit made me nearly cry, lolol.

/sorrydidn'tmeantowriteafuckingbook

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    1,190 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    58m
    I honestly don't have any tattoos because it doesn't mean anything to me and I just don't see what I'd like to tattoo on my body for a lifetime, but I don't have anything against tattoos. I mean, some people need them to express to sort of hidden feelings or something that means a lot to them. Wether it is for a signification purpose or only for the love of art, people should have the right to do whatever they want with their own body. I don't wish to have any tattoos myself even if some look really great. There's just nothing I'd want enough to keep it forever.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    471 times
    Time Online
    50d 14h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    @(you need an account to see links)
    I definitely see where you're coming from. I think it's the inner artist in me that sees a blank canvas and it drives me crazy to see it blank, ahah. I don't know what it is for everyone else, but I've always been all about collecting little pieces of anything that relate to me, or help me express myself, whether it be on my body or little figures or drawings or what have you.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    1,992 times
    Time Online
    279d 19h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 36m
    inb4 Madi

Hello I am retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Serrah
    Why would I need to buy from anyone else anyways? You're practically walmart
    (you need an account to see links) || (you need an account to see links)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drizzy For This Useful Post:

Maditude (06-26-2013),Raj (06-26-2013),Umbreon (06-26-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    40 times
    Time Online
    9d 19h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Your first post was so long I didn't read all of it, sorry ily.

But--

I think you should get whatever tattoo you want for whatever reason. If you like it and that's how you choose to adorn your body then go for it. I don't bother telling people not to or whatever if they're gonna regret it that's their problem not mine. Personally every tattoo I have I wanted for about 5-6 years. I figure if you want the same idea and you don't keep changing your mind for 5-6 years straight it's probably safe to do it and chances you'll regret it are slim.

What I hate is when people try and create false meaning behind their tattoo that they got because they just wanted a tattoo, you know? Or when someone feels pressured to have a tattoo with meaning so they do something totally ugly and stupid just so they can say there's meaning behind it.
    You don't need to get pink ribbons because your mom had breast cancer blah blah idk I think it's stupid. I'd rather see a gorgeous meaningless tattoo than a fucked up portrait of your child.

I don't regret any of my tattoos but I do have a much greater appreciation for flesh that DOESN'T have tattoos. I love looking at pristine spotless skin, I think it's beautiful. Before I just used to think people without tattoos were kinda plain and a little boring to look at.

At this point I don't crave tattoos anymore. I finally got to a point where I was like, "Yeah I have enough tattoos." I still plan on getting more at some point but it's no longer a priority for me.

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drizzy View Post
    inb4 Madi
    LOL Nailed it!
    Last edited by Maditude; 06-26-2013 at 09:12 AM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    471 times
    Time Online
    50d 14h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Ugh, yes, that's totally dumb in my opinion - people making up fake meanings. Soooo many people are like 'why'd you get bows, what's the story behind that?' And I'm like, '... I just liked bows at one point in my life okay. And I like the color red.' And then they tell me I'm dumb for getting just something random. Not every tattoo has to have a meaning. I agree that I'd much rather see a beautiful piece of art, that may or may not have meaning behind it, than something stereotypical that everyone in the world has on their body that you have a tiny meaning behind.

& I'm honestly super jealous I didn't wait to get my tattoos, because I see so many gorgeous people, and they have one single tattoo on them, big or small, and it looks absolutely amazing with all of the blank space around it. Or just plain skin period, it's wonderful to look at, I agree. I haven't worn a bathing suit since I got this huge octopus and I'm jealous of all of the people running around with nice bellies, but ah well ~

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    40 times
    Time Online
    9d 19h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by monsters View Post
    Ugh, yes, that's totally dumb in my opinion - people making up fake meanings. Soooo many people are like 'why'd you get bows, what's the story behind that?' And I'm like, '... I just liked bows at one point in my life okay. And I like the color red.' And then they tell me I'm dumb for getting just something random. Not every tattoo has to have a meaning. I agree that I'd much rather see a beautiful piece of art, that may or may not have meaning behind it, than something stereotypical that everyone in the world has on their body that you have a tiny meaning behind.

& I'm honestly super jealous I didn't wait to get my tattoos, because I see so many gorgeous people, and they have one single tattoo on them, big or small, and it looks absolutely amazing with all of the blank space around it. Or just plain skin period, it's wonderful to look at, I agree. I haven't worn a bathing suit since I got this huge octopus and I'm jealous of all of the people running around with nice bellies, but ah well ~
    I know that feeling. Sometimes I wish maybe I hadn't gone all the way to my wrist with my sleeve because I feel like it looks a little masculine. Also sometimes I get sad that my chest tattoos cover up my collar bones. But I never regret, just wonder what if.

The only time I ever hate having as many tattoos as I do is when people constantly ask questions and grab and poke and generally just invade my personal space. I know they're interesting and colorful and you have a lot of questions but I don't want to talk to every fucking person about my tattoos. I hate the attention they get sometimes.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    471 times
    Time Online
    50d 14h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    That's my thoughts with getting a gaming sleeve. I'm not sure if I'd be able to pull it off, so I'm considering a half-sleeve sort of thing.
    I considered a chest piece at one point, but my god, do I love collar bones. I also enjoy hips, which is why my octopus doesn't completely cover my hips; it's just right above my hip bone.

& Gosh, ugh. This is why all of mine are hidden ~ aside from my feet tattoos because I wear flats constantly.
    I got them for me, so I try to make it so that only I can revel in them. And everyone sees one of my worst tattoos and STILL ask me about them constantly. I can't even imagine if I had a big beautiful tattoo to show off.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    487 times
    Time Online
    26d 4h 56m
    Avg. Time Online
    9m

I have many tattoos all which I designed apart from one but it was from a very drunken night with my friends and we all tattooed DJR on our hips because we realised all of our names begin with either D,J or R

I see you have an opinion?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    17/0
    Mentioned
    40 times
    Time Online
    9d 19h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    That's my thoughts with getting a gaming sleeve. I'm not sure if I'd be able to pull it off, so I'm considering a half-sleeve sort of thing.
    I considered a chest piece at one point, but my god, do I love collar bones. I also enjoy hips, which is why my octopus doesn't completely cover my hips; it's just right above my hip bone.

& Gosh, ugh. This is why all of mine are hidden ~ aside from my feet tattoos because I wear flats constantly.
    I got them for me, so I try to make it so that only I can revel in them. And everyone sees one of my worst tattoos and STILL ask me about them constantly. I can't even imagine if I had a big beautiful tattoo to show off.

You're lucky. If I had a dollar for every old lady who GRABBED my arm and twisted it in circles trying to get a better look, I'd be rich. I wish people would learn to look and not touch. That's like going to the louvre and putting your nasty fingers all over the Mona Lisa.