Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m

A few Trade forum suggestions.

1. I've read several threads down from this one (at the time of posting) about an Auction section; frankly that sounds fantastic. But until some system like that can be made into cK, I've got a few suggestions with the current Auction threads to make things a little more fair for all (chime in if you disagree).

For the most part, everything is running fine, though going through searches of past auctions, a few of them seem skewed. That, or missing details that would save bidders and sellers time instead of PMing.

A) Sellers should clearly state an auction end date and time, including time zone (as opposed to vague deadlines like "Tuesday", or "tonight").

The time zone listed would help, as not everyone will have their settings configured the same, and posts don't have an exact timestamp now, just "minutes ago/hour ago/day(s) ago", etc.

Since the first post will likely be edited to update with the current asking, maybe sellers could post info like this on the second post, which should not be edited ever.

(the point of this is to prevent unpredictable, early ends / stretching out auctions if the seller doesn't like the HB ) - the exception to this would be stating an AB price.

B ) While an AB would be nice, I wouldn't say it is mandatory unless the seller wants one listed.

But what I do think should be mandatory is a SB or reserve price (like on eBay). This would save a lot of time and unwanted bids, and to protect sellers from selling something for a price they don't want to (which might also affect my suggestion A), about early or stretched out auctions). If the seller wants a fun auction, that's cool; just state "no reserve", or SB: $0.

C) Bidders must make their bids public on the thread, or the seller must identify all bids (esp. HB ) with the bidder's name, say if done by PM.

This too, is to deter false bids and fraud among sellers/bidders (eg. sellers protecting their items from being sold to low bids, or bidders without intent on buying)

D) Of course, sometimes bidders make mistakes, so they should be able to retract their bid, but on a new post with their previous bid stated (can't edit their older, bid posts, then decide later they want to re-bid, re-edit, and slam the next bidder out).

Sellers can choose to refuse bids from repeat retractors (# either at the seller's discretion, or through a common rule)

E) Sellers should state their accepted forms of payment in the beginning, as well as any restrictions they may have (such as being PP-restricted for new members/lack of feedback). This would be nice if it were a standard among everything in the trade forum, and isn't absolutely critical. I just figured it'd be nice to save time over PMing.

2. Unrelated to auction-style threads; I understand that vB is limited to minimum 4 character searches, so the next best thing would be to Google site search cK with whatever 3-letter (or 2) term you're looking for, but it's not entirely comprehensive.

This isn't an important suggestion by any means, but I thought I'd just throw it out there to make a public notice/addendum for commonly traded items with 3-letter or less abbreviations for sellers/buyers to state the full name, or something like that (such as tagging) to make forum searches easier.

Eg. GoW, LEV, SAP, AP.

I see some topics only use their abbreviations and not the full name, which makes them unsearchable.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

anonymous_guy (05-22-2013),Brittanee (01-06-2013),CrunchyNipples (01-07-2013),Desu (02-22-2013),jet (06-12-2013),Joelalala (01-05-2013),John (01-05-2013),Leah (05-22-2013),Lmp (01-05-2013),Nath (01-05-2013),Nik (01-05-2013),Storme (07-08-2013),Toasted (02-21-2013),Whispers (06-18-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    471 times
    Time Online
    50d 14h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    I agree with all of these!
    I see many, many, many people not having an end date at all, and just let it go on until an offer they see appeals them.
    That alone just seems silly to me and they may as well just advertise it as for sale instead of an auction.

But most of all, an auction section itself would be amazing~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Umbreon For This Useful Post:

Whispers (06-18-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    343 times
    Time Online
    286d 22h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 38m
    Excellent, especially this:

B ) While an AB would be nice, I wouldn't say it is mandatory unless the seller wants one listed.
    Several auctions have the HB updated without any public indication that a bid has been made, and I don't like that!

Nice post and some good things suggested.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    1,100 times
    Time Online
    43d 11h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    this will be considered.
    [9/3/12 11:11:58 PM] Joanna: sigh
    [9/3/12 11:12:14 PM] Joanna: john
    [9/3/12 11:12:16 PM] Joanna: is
    [9/3/12 11:12:17 PM] Joanna: perfect

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    65 times
    Time Online
    16d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I was looking through some old selling threads today and saw some that were set up as auctions and I was thinking of trying this myself but to have an actual organized auction section would be better : )

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    343 times
    Time Online
    286d 22h 39m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 38m

I'd like to bring up the point about auctions again. Last we saw was that it would be considered.

I'd like to see something in place for end date's on auctions. How is it a proper auction if it ends only when the bid is high enough for the seller to be happy....surely that's just called taking offers. Obviously a thread would need to be classified as an auction or have end date as a "built in" part of creating the thread to prevent it being edited. I'd also like to see the rule mentioned where all bids must be made in public, or at the very least confirmed in public by the bidder.

Also I would see no problem with ending the auction early and accepting the highest bid at the time, or of increasing/decreasing the AB price if there is one.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nath For This Useful Post:

Dream (05-21-2013),Maki (05-21-2013),Pestix (05-23-2013),Whispers (06-18-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    86 times
    Time Online
    33d 21h 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    ^ the only worry i have is the same worry i had with neopets back when they counted auctions down to the second, no 1 bids in the first 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 50 seconds and the last 10 seconds get spammed with bids, whoever got lucky gets it kind of thing

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    65 times
    Time Online
    16d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by purekilla View Post
    ^ the only worry i have is the same worry i had with neopets back when they counted auctions down to the second, no 1 bids in the first 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 50 seconds and the last 10 seconds get spammed with bids, whoever got lucky gets it kind of thing
    I think that's pretty hard to avoid unfortunately..

Happens on Ebay ALL OF THE TIME..

I can't really see an auction working without some sort of time basis..or a specified date.. maybe have them run from 24 hours to a few days or something like that.. I prefer that actually so I can plan on attending / bidding my heart out if its something I want :p I would feel slightly hurt if an auction ended early and I was planning on hitting it up after work

Thanks
    DL/UL
    50/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    104d 6h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    38m
    Quote Originally Posted by purekilla View Post
    Yeah if you have this, there will still be that problem of it getting spamm bidded in the last few seconds

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    2d 10h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    These are fantastic ideas. Basically in reiteration of what you posted above I think the following are NECESSARY for safe and fair transactions:

1.) Auction must have an exact start time, end time, and date!
    2.) The start price, time, and date needs to be in a post that is NOT edited.
    3.) If a seller has a reserve in mind the auction NEEDS to start at that price. Otherwise potential buyers are wasting their time and that's not cool. Not to mention a imaginary reserve can be changed in the sellers head at any time and that's not cool either.
    4.) There should be reprecautions for failing to do these things. There should ALSO be reprecautions for buyers who win and do not pay. Auctions should be a legally binding contract between buyer and seller and there shouldn't be any games involved.

Sellers need to realize that auctioning is a risk. If they aren't willing to take that risk then they shouldn't be auctioning. Buyers need to understand that they should not be bidding if they don't have the funds.

My 2 cents

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jet For This Useful Post:

Duck4Cover (06-14-2013),Whispers (06-18-2013)