100/0
    Mentioned
    103 times
    Time Online
    5d 3h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

Mermaids?

While flipping through the channels last night, I found this documentary, followed by an interview with a bunch of smart certified people.

What was this about?

Mermaids..

The documentary is called, Mermaid - The body found. I really think everyone should watch this.

I was wanting to know your thoughts on what may or may not be out there.

Considering, we've explored the Moon more than our own oceans.
    ~ <3 ~ <3 ~ <3 ~ <3 ~

�Of course it hurts, it�s a spanking. How else would it work?�

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Many bizarre and undiscovered species? A certainty.
    Mermaids? Very nearly impossible. Assuming you mean fish trunk and human torso+, if they existed, we'd have found (and co-existed or killed them) by now.

-Culturally speaking, humans and humanoids are social animals, they would naturally try to interact or war with us.

-Scientifically speaking, unless they only look human up top, but under the skin are whack ass different, it's not possible for their half-human anatomy to sustain life primarily in the water. They lack the physiology to swim, float, and be a competitive species at sea. Sharks are apex predators because of their anatomy/physiology, they are torpedo shaped, scales (I forgot if they're called scales or something else) shaped and composed for minimum friction, weight balance distributed accordingly, fin shape, etc. to be able to swim and find prey with efficiency. Despite a mermaid having a fish tail, a human body? Unless they've got guns that work under water, they would be like turkeys at Christmas for other sea-dwellers.

Pronouns
    she/her
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    64 times
    Time Online
    9d 8h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    I feel if there were mermaids out there at some point in time, they would probably not look anything like we've conjured up in our minds. Less Ariel, more Harry Potter/Peter Pan style mermaids. Or even closer to what Mod said, they would have to compete with everything else under the sea, including sharks and whales and scarier things which of course I can't think of right this second. So they would be even less human than we might be thinking of.

I'm sure it IS possible, that millions of years ago, something similar existed though. At least, that would be pretty rad if it did.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    100/0
    Mentioned
    103 times
    Time Online
    5d 3h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Have you ever heard of the Sea ape theory?
    it's a theory about us, and where we come from.

Why are we so different than other terrestrial animals?
    Humans can hold their breath longer than any land mammals. The record being almost 20 minutes. We have a thick layer of fat that is only found in that portion in sea mammals as well.
    Our spines are much more flexible than that of the chimps we are thought to be related to.
    Partial webbing between our fingers and toes.

And human babies hold their breath underwater, where as a baby chimp would drown.
    Some humans are so well adapted for life underwater that they still hunt under the sea, walking on the sea floor.
    The Moken people of south east Asia can actually contract their pupils at will underwater, so they can see clearly, as if wearing a mask.

All these adaptation for life in the water, but we lack them for life on land.
    We shed salty tears and sweat. Salt and Water is precious. Other land animals have different ways of controlling heat.

Part of our evolution took place in the sea..

is it completely possible that our early ancestors spent time near the water? learning to stand upright, while wading in the water?
    If that's possible, isn't it possible that a fraction of them split off, and decided to stay there. Instead of shying away from the water, going deeper into it?

I'm not saying these would be "humans" but they would be humanoid. Facial features, hands; they would look human, in a way.

Now for them being hunted..
    First off I'd like to bring about early human life. There where predators out there, that hunted us. We adapted and learned how to make tools. We where hunted once, just as they would be hunted.
    There have been numerous findings in the deep ocean of fish with spears in their sides. Found just killed. Who would be out in the deep sea, hunting with spears?
    It's plausible it could be something that's not us.

Even now, in the past decade, we've found 2 new species of whales.. 40 or 50 foot creatures, never before seen.
    Couldn't something small, say 6 foot, be able to hide as well?

Hmm.. let me rack my brain for more info.. lol
    ~ <3 ~ <3 ~ <3 ~ <3 ~

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    3d 13h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    If they existed, they'd probably look something like this:
    (you need an account to see links)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    100/0
    Mentioned
    103 times
    Time Online
    5d 3h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I vote for everyone watching that documentary..

See above post for awesome smartness.
    Last edited by Ray-Chill; 05-29-2013 at 01:38 AM.
    ~ <3 ~ <3 ~ <3 ~ <3 ~

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    18d 16h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    Many bizarre and undiscovered species? A certainty.
    Mermaids? Very nearly impossible. Assuming you mean fish trunk and human torso+, if they existed, we'd have found (and co-existed or killed them) by now.

-Culturally speaking, humans and humanoids are social animals, they would naturally try to interact or war with us.

-Scientifically speaking, unless they only look human up top, but under the skin are whack ass different, it's not possible for their half-human anatomy to sustain life primarily in the water. They lack the physiology to swim, float, and be a competitive species at sea.
    That, and for us to not have discovered them already means they'd probably have to live in the deepest parts of the ocean. Normal human physiology just can't sustain that kind of pressure at that depth, so it'd be very hard for merpeople to resemble us the way we tend to imagine they would. Assuming they've descended from a common ancestor as humans, they'd be mammals anyway so they'd have to live near the surface to breathe. In that case, it's just a little hard to believe that over all these decades of seafaring exploration and trade we don't have any credible reports of accidental sightings, unless somehow they live in an underwater oasis or crater of some sort. Or unless there's some sort of government conspiracy to hide them.

@(you need an account to see links) Do you have a link to this documentary you're speaking of online?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    100/0
    Mentioned
    103 times
    Time Online
    5d 3h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    @(you need an account to see links)

I'm not sure where the full one is at.. I got mine from the pirate bay... But I'll look right now.
    ~ <3 ~ <3 ~ <3 ~ <3 ~

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray-Chill For This Useful Post:

Daenery (05-29-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    100/0
    Mentioned
    103 times
    Time Online
    5d 3h 33m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I know my on demand for cable has it.
    I recomend watching that, and Mermaids- evidence found.. Or something like that.
    It's the interviews that really are good.
    ~ <3 ~ <3 ~ <3 ~ <3 ~

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    115/0
    Mentioned
    100 times
    Time Online
    17d 11h 55m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Seems pretty interesting. I'll see if I can find a torrent of it.

I'm pretty much with mod though do find these kind of things fascinating. I'll post after watching it with some views.
    <3 Jolz, Glenn, Luke, grrrawr & Whispers

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Arsura For This Useful Post:

Ray-Chill (05-30-2013)