Help With one Anatomy/Bio question. +rep
The entire menstrual cycle is driven by changes in the release of particular hormones. Describe the hormonal regulation of the menstrual cycle.
As of now this is the most helpful thing i can find.
I know this question involves a vagina. Please don't post stupid comments about it. It's something I actually need help with for my exam tomorrow.
Will max rep anyone who can help explain the hormones in words better.
- Rep Power
1) Let's start with the hypothalamus, the hypothalamus releases the chemical messenger Follicle Stimulating Hormone Releasing Factor (FSH-RF) to tell the pituitary to do its job.
2)The pituitary gland produces Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) and a little Leutenizing Hormone (LH) into the bloodstream which cause the follicles to begin to mature.
3) The maturing follicles then release another hormone, oestrogen. As the follicles matures they secrete more and more oestrogen into the bloodstream. Oestrogen causes the lining of the uterus to thicken and the cervical mucous to change.
4) When the oestrogen level reaches a certain point it causes the hypothalamus to release Leutenizing Hormone Releasing Factor (LH-RF) causing the pituitary to release a large amount of Leutenizing Hormone (LH)
5) The increase in LH causes the mature follicle to burst and release an egg, thus ovulation is complete.
6) After ovulation the egg only survives up to 24 hours without fertilisation. The remains of the follicle in the ovary become the corpus luteum; this body has a primary function of producing large amounts of progesterone. Progesterone causes the uterine lining to change in preparation for a potential implantation of an embryo.
7) If the egg is not fertilised, production of oestrogen and progesterone stops, the lining of the uterus breaks down and menstruation occurs.
Yahoo Answers. Made sense to me when I read it and you are just as smart.
But uh... Hmm... Follicle Stimulating Hormone... FSH... Vagina... FSH... Huh... Couldn't resist. Sue me.
Originally Posted by Federation
Thanks for the help man!