27/0
    Mentioned
    1,190 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    58m

I need somebody experienced with photoshop coloring +REP

So basically, I have been practicing my anime drawings for years and everytime I attempt to color them after finishing my base layer, I just mess everything up as I don't get how to use opacity, mix of colors, etc.

I don't intend to do anything realistic, but if anybody has some tips for anime coloring, or has an amazing tutorial online, I'd love to know!

Everytime I try to look up for one on the net, I only get those speed tutorial and I don't understand what the person is doing at all.

Please & thank you. <3

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    122/0
    Mentioned
    89 times
    Time Online
    15d 16h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    are talking like shading ? there are lots of nice tuts on shading are the net

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    18d 16h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I don't tend to do a lot of cel shading myself, but if you're looking for that technique, here's a guide I found:

(you need an account to see links)

And here's a basic tool guide, though the person's drawing looks a little weirder than the above

When you hear people talk about buying and selling cels online, it generally means they're buying official cels from animes that were used in the actual animation process.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Daenery For This Useful Post:

Cath (05-25-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    1,190 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    58m
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorn View Post
    I don't tend to do a lot of cel shading myself, but if you're looking for that technique, here's a guide I found:

And here's a basic tool guide, though the person's drawing looks a little weirder than the above

When you hear people talk about buying and selling cels online, it generally means they're buying official cels from animes that were used in the actual animation process.
    Aw thank you, I'm definitely going to look at them right now. <3

I also have another coloring question and I have no idea how to formulate it, so it might sounds quite weird:
    When I watch coloring videos on youtube, people tend to use many layers, one for each of the character body, but they always seem to color way too off the lines, and then suddenly, everything beside the line suddenly disappear, letting a neat coloring behind.
    How do people actually manage to do it? /I feel so stupid right now.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    18d 16h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Quote Originally Posted by katzes View Post
    Aw thank you, I'm definitely going to look at them right now. <3

I also have another coloring question and I have no idea how to formulate it, so it might sounds quite weird:
    When I watch coloring videos on youtube, people tend to use many layers, one for each of the character body, but they always seem to color way too off the lines, and then suddenly, everything beside the line suddenly disappear, letting a neat coloring behind.
    How do people actually manage to do it? /I feel so stupid right now.
    It may be similar to the second tutorial I linked to you, and it's something I've just learned to do as well, especially with my latest drawings/signaturebuttons/userbars. You can do it if you have a fully drawn solidly filled shape of your drawing on any layer - select that layer, right click the panel and click "select pixels", and then select the lasso tool, right click on the selection, and click "select inverse". Then you can choose your coloring layer (with the same pixels from your base layer selected) and erase anything around the subject without disturbing your original drawing. There might be more techniques for it but that's what I like to do.

I could maybe try making a tutorial for that sometime if my explanation was too technical lol, sorry ;w;

Edit: Oh, you can combine that with layer masks to hide or reveal all elements of your selection by filling parts you don't want to see with black on the layer mask layer, too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daenery For This Useful Post:

Cath (05-25-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    1,190 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    58m
    It may be similar to the second tutorial I linked to you, and it's something I've just learned to do as well, especially with my latest drawings/signaturebuttons/userbars. You can do it if you have a fully drawn solidly filled shape of your drawing on any layer - select that layer, right click the panel and click "select pixels", and then select the lasso tool, right click on the selection, and click "select inverse". Then you can choose your coloring layer (with the same pixels from your base layer selected) and erase anything around the subject without disturbing your original drawing. There might be more techniques for it but that's what I like to do.

I could maybe try making a tutorial for that sometime if my explanation was too technical lol, sorry ;w;

Edit: Oh, you can combine that with layer masks to hide or reveal all elements of your selection by filling parts you don't want to see with black on the layer mask layer, too.
    You're always so helpful ;o;

& What do you mean by layer masks ? (I feel retarded LOL)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    18d 16h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    You're always so helpful ;o;

& What do you mean by layer masks ? (I feel retarded LOL)
    It's no problem, it took me a while to discover these tools too so I like to share <3

Click on the layer you want to edit, then go to Layer>Layer Mask. From there you can either choose 'Hide all' or 'Reveal all'. If you choose hide all, you get a little square canvas linked to that layer that's filled with black and the entire layer is hidden. You can use various shades of grey to slowly reveal details on that layer again, with white revealing everything. If you have a selection already selected using the lasso/select pixels function, and you make a layer mask with hide all, it will automatically hide the things around it you don't want. ^^

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Daenery For This Useful Post:

Cath (05-25-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    27/0
    Mentioned
    1,190 times
    Time Online
    162d 23h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    58m
    It's no problem, it took me a while to discover these tools too so I like to share <3

Click on the layer you want to edit, then go to Layer>Layer Mask. From there you can either choose 'Hide all' or 'Reveal all'. If you choose hide all, you get a little square canvas linked to that layer that's filled with black and the entire layer is hidden. You can use various shades of grey to slowly reveal details on that layer again, with white revealing everything. If you have a selection already selected using the lasso/select pixels function, and you make a layer mask with hide all, it will automatically hide the things around it you don't want. ^^
    Thanks a bunch sweetie. <3 I love you.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lorn again.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    18d 16h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Thanks a bunch sweetie. <3 I love you.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lorn again.
    LOL it's no problem, I would have helped either way. Good luck bby <3