34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m

Would you donate your organs?

Recently there was a conversation while watching TV with my bf, his mom, and his siblings. The topic that came up was organ donation and whether or not we would do it. Without hesitation we all said absolutely whatever is needed except for his mom. His mom said that is not what God wants. When you die you need to be buried and become the earth type deal. Okay I get that and I respect that this is how she grew up. But she seemed almost upset that all her kids and me said without hesitation that a doctor can remove our organs to help others. I do not see the issue. If I die I already do not want to be buried but cremated, another issue she says, so why not give myself to help so many others?

It is a common occurrence. Someone in your family, a close friend, or simply someone you know comes across tough times with their health and they require a transplant. There are more than 100,000 people in thr US right now waiting for a transplant of some sort. Frankly that number is likely on the low side. Many will die waiting. Maybe you even know of someone who has passed while waiting for that new heart or lung. The problem is not enough people are registered, or tell friends/family members they want to be a donor. The loss of someone is too great to also have to be asked if their organs can be removed and given to someone else. However organ donation is a wonderful gift to give. 8 lives can be saved from just whole organ donation. These being the heart, lungs, kidneys, liver, pancreas, and small intestines. Beyond that is tissue donation in which corneas, cardiac valves, veins, skin, bone, and more can all be harvested and give treatment or life to more than 50 people. A loss of one's life does not mean it needs to be left at that. Organ donation truly saves lives.

Now I know some people have hesitations. I mean the doctor will use terms like harvest and remove, cut, and transplant. All less than ideal terms to describe what happens during the process. I get that some people want to be left intact in the ground because their religion guides them to it, even though I believe all religions are okay with organ donation. I get it. I do not understand or agree but I get it. Then there is the hesitation not associated with religion but with the "icky" factor. I get that too. It is gross to think about but when so many lives can be saved I do not think that ick should hold someone back. We do not live forever, we could be killed tomorrow crossing the street. Should that happen would your friends or family know what your wishes were? Nearly anyone can be an organ donor, as long as the tissue or organ is alive it can be assessed for donation.

So the question is posed, would you donate your organs? Why or why not?
    Last edited by Sci_Girl; 12-10-2015 at 09:21 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

Maison (12-10-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/1
    Mentioned
    320 times
    Time Online
    95d 4h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    32m
    I would definitely without hesitation donate my organs! If we add God to this I personally think God would want you to help save other people! Many people are in need of them and sadly my Aunty passed away waiting on a donor list! So yes! I would donate especially if I won't have a use for them anymore! I am either going to be cremated or turned into a diamond ring

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    219 times
    Time Online
    40d 7h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m
    I'm a registered organ donor. The way I see it is if you're dead, why not give back so someone else has a chance at leading a good life? I have a friend who's on a wait list for a lung transplant. I would prefer that he gets to live over someone's religious preferences.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    376 times
    Time Online
    58d 1h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    I am on the donor list. I will be cremated. If my organs can help another survive, go for it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    142 times
    Time Online
    37d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    I'm would definitely donate my organs if it would help someone else. It's pretty upsetting when people deny their family a blood transfusion/organ donor because of their religion. It's not logical at all.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    153 times
    Time Online
    76d 2h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    32m
    I personally don't care what happens to my body once I'm dead - I'll be dead, after all. Take as many organs as you want.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    248 times
    Time Online
    58d 6h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Yes, no question.

I love Jess

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    109/0
    Mentioned
    465 times
    Time Online
    312d 3h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 57m
    What the hell do I care where my organs go once I'm dead. Somebody might as well get use out of them.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I wonder if there is a generational aspect to it. I have asked my grandma, years ago mind you and she said no way. Bf's mom is a no, I know her family and they would likely be a no. Has anyone asked their parents or know what your parents would say?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    109/0
    Mentioned
    465 times
    Time Online
    312d 3h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 57m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    I wonder if there is a generational aspect to it. I have asked my grandma, years ago mind you and she said no way. Bf's mom is a no, I know her family and they would likely be a no. Has anyone asked their parents or know what your parents would say?
    My dad could care less. He thinks the same way I do