Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suicide : is it ever justifiable?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    1d 17h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A

Suicide : is it ever justifiable?

Do you agree that suicide can ever be a justifiable option?

Remember debate rules before posting, such as : no flaming/harassment, no spam, post sources and
    minimum of 3-5 sentences per reply.
    AND BE RESPECTFUL TOWARDS THE OPINION OF OTHERS

In my opinion, suicide is a terrible act. I don't think it is either courageous or cowardly to want an end to pain: I don't think that a lot of people could want their life to stop if they are happy.

Last edited by Inq; 02-16-2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Edited for due appropiateness.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    435d 9h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 29m
    I don't think it could be described as courageous no matter how you look at it.
    I could see it being cowardly in the sense that you gave up on the world, you gave up on yourself, and are taking the easy way out.

But with that said, sometimes the "easy way out", is really the hard way out; sometimes it might seem like it's the only way out.

If you are contemplating suicide then there are definitely some underlying problems that you should really open up and talk with people about. Maybe you think nobody cares, because nobody really knows.

I'm not really sure what the deal is with all the suicide in the news lately. I mean, yeah I can definitely understand all the pain that people are subjected to, but if you look on the other side of that coin, there are an equal amount of people on your side who are trying to help you out; you just have to listen and filter out all the hatred. =\

3. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

kutt (08-29-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    73/0
    Mentioned
    51 times
    Time Online
    1d 8h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Speaking from experience my uncle was getting divorced and rather than live he jumped out of my aunts vehicle while driving over a bridge in new orleans and jumped off. My father was never the same after that. I don't think most people realize that it may end their suffering by ending their life but it is destroying everyone else's around you. I think it is a cowards way out. I have suffered with depression for many years and never once have i thought about suicide because I would never do that to the people that I love and care about. There are people who can help, you are never alone and there is ALWAYS someone that has it worst than you.
    On another note, my sister about 2 years ago tried to kill herself by swallowing a bottle of tylenol pm over a boy who I shit you not "while he was high on mushrooms saw the woman of his dreams and it wasn't my sister" so he broke up with her and she couldn't live anymore, needless to say the guy found out about it and called the police and they found her in time but she did a lot of damage to her liver and once she got help she is thankful everyday she is alive and has said on numerous occasions how stupid it was what she tried to do. so before you go down that road, get help, you never know and it can't hurt to try.
    Last edited by Bailey; 02-16-2012 at 07:11 PM.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bailey For This Useful Post:

Dracula (04-13-2013),I_royalty_I (02-16-2012),Kad (02-18-2012),zxzero (04-09-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    1,446 times
    Time Online
    368d 17h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 7m
    To be honest, this board shouldn't even be a discussion. Its not right for a forum. Im saying this because some people may have personal feelings about, or been greatly affected by it.

I know someone who took their life because they indeed had no options left, and nothing else was working (schizophrenia). I don't think a sane person would take their life if they felt like they had options left.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bettser For This Useful Post:

janikanicolepi (01-18-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    72/0
    Mentioned
    81 times
    Time Online
    1d 17h 23m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Bettser View Post
    To be honest, this board shouldn't even be a discussion. Its not right for a forum. Im saying this because some people may have personal feelings about, or been greatly affected by it.

I know someone who took their life because they indeed had no options left, and nothing else was working (schizophrenia). I don't think a sane person would take their life if they felt like they had options left.
    I don't know. Many debates here can affect a lot of people anywhere. Like abortion, gay marriage, death sentence, euthanasia... Some people here are gay and are very ashamed that some others are agains't them getting married or having children.

Every people can have their point of view about suicide. We can't just say we'll not talk about anything that could affect people. Someone could find a forum talking about suicide and decide or not to read it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Slasher For This Useful Post:

Matt~ (07-14-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    1,446 times
    Time Online
    368d 17h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 7m
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
    I don't know. Many debates here can affect a lot of people anywhere. Like abortion, gay marriage, death sentence, euthanasia... Some people here are gay and are very ashamed that some others are agains't them getting married or having children.

Every people can have their point of view about suicide. We can't just say we'll not talk about anything that could affect people. Someone could find a forum talking about suicide and decide or not to read it.
    I know. I dont expect anything to be done. Just giving my opinion on it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    97 times
    Time Online
    9h 29m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    @(you need an account to see links)

My first reaction was the same. However, there is no harm in debating the subject, as long as the discussion is kept appropiate. I'm keeping a close eye on this thread, all the same.

Just a message to everyone: please PM me if you have any personal concerns about anything that is discussed here. That goes for anything in the Debate Zone, not limited to this thread.

Edit: Cleaned up the thread title and original statement for due appropriateness. This is a sensitive subject, so please treat it in a sensitive manner.
    Last edited by Inq; 02-16-2012 at 08:28 PM.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inq For This Useful Post:

Bettser (02-16-2012),Cody. (06-28-2012),Slasher (02-16-2012),thequeen (04-08-2012),zxzero (04-09-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    352 times
    Time Online
    1d 20h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    A good friend and colleague of mine committed suicide almost 3 years ago. It was absolutely devastating, not only for me but for his other friends and family. Ever since I've had a strong view against suicide.

I believe that suicide is the absolute most selfish thing someone could ever do. There are so many options and there is always help you can get! I don't think a lot of people realize that suicide hurts everyone around you, especially your family. It always makes me so sad when I hear of someone committing suicide. And I despise bullies for driving so many young kids to suicide more than ever lately.

PM me for any of the following:
    PSN
    NDS Friend Code
    Tumblr

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    7d 17h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I'd like to start by stating a couple of things:
    1) I have tried to kill myself in the past and ended up in hospital for a couple of days
    2) I'm therefore likely to become a little OTT at times in my posts, I'd be grateful if someone could PM me if you think I'm heading too far that way and I'll try and correct it.
    3) I'll doubtless end up sounding like I'm trying to speak for all people who have tried to/have successfully/have thought about committing suicide but that isn't my intention- people are all different, we reason differently and my feelings at that time won't be the same as someone else in that position.
    4) Part of my coping with stuff like this is to make light of it in a dark-humoured/facetious way, if that offends anyone please let me know and I'll try and rephrase.

So basically just a few pre-emptive apologies/warnings if I get a little too involved

I would agree entirely with the idea of suicide being a terrible act. Obviously, in an ideal world, no-one would want to kill themself.

I'd like to challenge the idea that suicide is the 'easy way out'. There is nothing easy about the decision that life isn't worth living. In fact, I'm not entirely convinced that it's a conscious decision to make. For me it was a growing sense that I had to die, I didn't ever decide that it would be a good thing, or a better thing even. Just a necessity. Because to me, and it seems to be fairly widely accepted, suicide is not about making the decision that you don't want to keep fighting. I'm a subscriber to the view that: "Suicide is not chosen; it happens when pain exceeds resources for coping with pain." Therefore, any discussion about whether or not it is courageous or whether it's cowardly is wrong. It is neither of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin View Post
    I believe that suicide is the absolute most selfish thing someone could ever do. There are so many options and there is always help you can get! I don't think a lot of people realize that suicide hurts everyone around you, especially your family.
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    What do you do when you've sought help and it's either not been there or not helped? What do you do when every day it's a struggle even to open your eyes and get out of bed? When the faint flame of hope has been extinguished, to your mind at least? And for me at least, I knew that it would hurt others. I knew that but still couldn't stop myself from doing it. Because at that point, you hurt too much to think logically, to reason rationally. All my mind could focus on was relieving the intense pain that no-one else could see.
    Last edited by IndigoSunset; 02-16-2012 at 08:41 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoSunset For This Useful Post:

thequeen (04-08-2012)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    352 times
    Time Online
    1d 20h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoSunset View Post
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    What do you do when you've sought help and it's either not been there or not helped? What do you do when every day it's a struggle even to open your eyes and get out of bed? When the faint flame of hope has been extinguished, to your mind at least? And for me at least, I knew that it would hurt others. I knew that but still couldn't stop myself from doing it. Because at that point, you hurt too much to think logically, to reason rationally. All my mind could focus on was relieving the intense pain that no-one else could see.
    To be honest, it breaks my heart when I hear about people who've sought help and cried out but have been ignored. It just kills me that either people don't care or they don't "want to think about it".
    I honestly can't answer your question because I've never been there. I always try to be on alert for people who might be hurting and do my very best to be empathetic and helpful. My husband struggles with severe depression and attempted suicide (before we met), and I understand that sometimes suicide seems like the only option. I'm really really glad that you're still here! I'm always happy to see suicide survivors, and my heart goes out to you. Its really frustrating that no one was willing to listen and help you though.

PM me for any of the following:
    PSN
    NDS Friend Code
    Tumblr