Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to encourage healthy eating is schools?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    18d 16h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Quote Originally Posted by goodieboy View Post
    Thanks guys, but what I really need are specific ways to encourage them, like I thought about teachers sharing their diet choices with students during lessons, so as to influence them subtly. I'll think about the subway one, thanks for your inputs.
    Ahh, I see. I was going more for the root of the problem - even with encouragement it would be hard to get kids to eat right if the options aren't even there at school, haha. It was a huge problem in my childhood and even though I learned to eat well on my own a lot of my friends are just so used to eating unhealthily that they still do so to this day. But it's no problem, hope you find what you're looking for!

Though you have a good point in regards to the role teachers have in promoting healthy eating. I'm not sure about other areas of the U.S. but I know that we didn't actually have a proper nutritional science class until high school, and our teachers simply weren't present at lunchtime in elementary school because that was when they also ate their own lunches. It would be great if elementary schools held more events (like the Thanksgiving events we used to have) where teachers themselves organized the menus, which deviated from the normal school menus. Budget permitting, they could introduce tastier versions of healthy dishes to show kids that eating healthily doesn't necessarily mean sacrificing taste. You know how a lot of kids are, they despise vegetables because vegetables tend to be cooked in a way that's tasteless - especially in school lunches, lol.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    12/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    1d 22h 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    For starters, you can use colorful yet informative posters to promote your cause.

I would also suggest you write to the board of education regarding this issue and/or attend one of their meetings (in my town, the board of education hosts monthly meetings where people stand up and ask a question, and the board answers.) You will need to persuade upper management in order to have any sort of action going.

Nowadays, some people don't have a conscience when it comes to food, so the best way is to reduce fats and use healthier ingredients in foods that students love. Pizza is the most obvious example. Vending machines should dispense water and healthy drinks instead of soda. Try to up the quality of food as sometimes the sight of mushy vegetables instantly make some people lose their appetites.

Hope this helps, and good luck!!!

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmie View Post
    Like just use strawberries/bananas/oranges, and then put in like carrot juice or some other vegtable juice. Can't even taste the vegtables,really. They don't need to know there was carrots in it.
    So if I ask for a carrot smoothie from you, you'll add disgusting fruits behind my back?

Quote Originally Posted by Simmie View Post
    keep it a low price point. If you can get something for $1.50 and less healthy vs 3.00, less appealing but more healthy, people will go for the first one.
    Amen.
    Those organic bananas are too rich for my blood, cost a whooping $0.15/lb. over the supergenetic bananas I only buy.
    With the 50 cents I saved being cheap, I could afford half a tomato.

It doesn't help that a coupon combo from A&W is cheaper than a self-made meal at home, with groceries bought on sale.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    225 times
    Time Online
    42d 21h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Max rep given out today, thanks so much guys!

Edit: Will be giving more tmr.