Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to encourage healthy eating is schools?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    225 times
    Time Online
    42d 21h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m

How to encourage healthy eating is schools?

Hey guys, basically I'm doing this project that we have to think of ways to encourage students to make healthier choices. Any tips guys?

I'll +1 rep to all helpful replies, and +2-3 rep if your idea gave me an inspiration. If you include sources like where it has been done before or suggested, I'll +5 rep. Pls give some ideas, thanks so much

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    18d 16h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    The best way would be to somehow force the higher ups to introduce some sort of legislature to force healthier options in school lunches. But that's probably not going to happen, especially if the junk food giants are trying their hardest to make money off the vending machines in the lunchroom like in my middle school. All my schools ever had was crappy junk food, and the occasional mushy grey mass of broccoli-like matter. I mean, it's also partly the parents' responsibility to look after what their kids eat, but if your parents are hard working full time jobbers, they might not always have the time or the energy to prepare a lunch. Since kids are mandated to be in school I think it should be the school's responsibility and the child's right, anyway. It's also really important to introduce healthy eating habits early.

I remember reading an article written by an American mom who was raising her kids in France - she was shocked at how French pre-schoolers were getting 3 course lunches every day, with a menu that gave them a different meal every day for a month. I don't think she said it was a private school, either.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daenery For This Useful Post:

goodieboy (04-24-2013)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Points system. Healthier choices accrue points/punches on a card. After so many points/punches, next meal is free.

Source: Subway

Come at me bro!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wrath For This Useful Post:

goodieboy (04-24-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    225 times
    Time Online
    42d 21h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Federation View Post
    Points system. Healthier choices accrue points/punches on a card. After so many points/punches, next meal is free.

Source: Subway

Come at me bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorn View Post
    The best way would be to somehow force the higher ups to introduce some sort of legislature to force healthier options in school lunches. But that's probably not going to happen, especially if the junk food giants are trying their hardest to make money off the vending machines in the lunchroom like in my middle school. All my schools ever had was crappy junk food, and the occasional mushy grey mass of broccoli-like matter. I mean, it's also partly the parents' responsibility to look after what their kids eat, but if your parents are hard working full time jobbers, they might not always have the time or the energy to prepare a lunch. Since kids are mandated to be in school I think it should be the school's responsibility and the child's right, anyway. It's also really important to introduce healthy eating habits early.

I remember reading an article written by an American mom who was raising her kids in France - she was shocked at how French pre-schoolers were getting 3 course lunches every day, with a menu that gave them a different meal every day for a month. I don't think she said it was a private school, either.
    Thanks guys, but what I really need are specific ways to encourage them, like I thought about teachers sharing their diet choices with students during lessons, so as to influence them subtly. I'll think about the subway one, thanks for your inputs.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    338/0
    Mentioned
    233 times
    Time Online
    86d 10h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    29m
    @(you need an account to see links)
    Well the first things I'd do would be to set up nutritional policies that must be obeyed to the fullest extent.

Video 1:
    (you need an account to see links)

Video 2:

Video 3:

^ Take a look at those, around 5 minutes a piece, somewhat informative on what some schools did to encourage healthy eating among children in school.

Study from 2000-2001 Suggesting small gardens can make kids wanna eat more vegetables:

How being educated on vegetables and fruits can inspire kids to eat them more:

Shows some informative guides, research papers, videos, on how certain schools succeeded on getting kids to eat healthier.

If you need some more just PM me I could find some for you
    Last edited by Zeus; 04-24-2013 at 04:08 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

goodieboy (04-24-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    225 times
    Time Online
    42d 21h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Repped you guys, You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Federation again. Still looking at more opinions! Thanks so much @(you need an account to see links), those were immensely helpful.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to goodieboy For This Useful Post:

Zeus (04-24-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Eh, kids these days are little fucks.

They won't listen to reason or good-natured, formal campaigns.
    You have to get them at their fears, give them cold, hard reality.

---

Try something like a subliminal shock video:

-Like one that cycles through a thousand disturbing and extreme pictures in a minute, while playing suspenseful music.
    -And every few seconds, throw a blank slide with just a single, bolded word in the centre with a sudden, sharp sound, like:

That should hit it where it hurts for children, they'll get the message.
    If they still don't, well there's going to be even more fatties and sticks 10 years from now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

Miri (04-24-2013)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    I actually had to do a project similar to yours.
    To encourage healthy eating in schools, make what the kids like.

For example;; People like pizza in my school a lot.
    We just used whole grain crust, lower soduim sauce, low-fat cheese & made sure there was lots of veggies on it.
    People liked bell peppers/olives/tomatoes and all that, so we offered it. Tasted just the same as normal pizza.

And if you want to encourage fruits, just ask the schools to offer smoothies? o.O Like, if you offer breakfast in the mornings?
    Like just use strawberries/bananas/oranges, and then put in like carrot juice or some other vegtable juice. Can't even taste the vegtables,really. They don't need to know there was carrots in it.

Part of it is to also make the food look more appealing. If it honestly looks like a grey blob, would you eat it?
    or even something drenched in oil is not too good for you either. Baking foods with a little oil (Olive/Canola) makes it crispy and lower in bad fats.

looks good=people will generally try it.
    and keep it a low price point. If you can get something for $1.50 and less healthy vs 3.00, less appealing but more healthy, people will go for the first one.
    not so low it can't make profit though. Fresh food may be a bit more expensive, but what would you pay for health?

Not sure if this is what you meant, but I did do a project on this in 9th Grade, and the school board liked it.
    PM me if you need more clarfication.
    Last edited by simmie; 04-24-2013 at 11:29 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to simmie For This Useful Post:

goodieboy (04-25-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    4d 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Well i remember at Panera Bread they decided to put up the calorie count on their menu. Ok they were forced to, and wow this made a huge difference. As soon as people saw the calorie count they decided to go for the low calorie items. i suggest that the school menu be forced to put a calorie count on all their items so kids can get a sense of what they actually intake. And trust me word goes around that the more calories you eat, the fatter you get. So this will definitely force a change toward healthy eating.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 times
    Time Online
    13d 10h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmie View Post
    I actually had to do a project similar to yours.
    To encourage healthy eating in schools, make what the kids like.

For example;; People like pizza in my school a lot.
    We just used whole grain crust, lower soduim sauce, low-fat cheese & made sure there was lots of veggies on it.
    People liked bell peppers/olives/tomatoes and all that, so we offered it. Tasted just the same as normal pizza.

And if you want to encourage fruits, just ask the schools to offer smoothies? o.O Like, if you offer breakfast in the mornings?
    Like just use strawberries/bananas/oranges, and then put in like carrot juice or some other vegtable juice. Can't even taste the vegtables,really. They don't need to know there was carrots in it.

Part of it is to also make the food look more appealing. If it honestly looks like a grey blob, would you eat it?
    or even something drenched in oil is not too good for you either. Baking foods with a little oil (Olive/Canola) makes it crispy and lower in bad fats.

looks good=people will generally try it.
    and keep it a low price point. If you can get something for $1.50 and less healthy vs 3.00, less appealing but more healthy, people will go for the first one.
    not so low it can't make profit though. Fresh food may be a bit more expensive, but what would you pay for health?

Not sure if this is what you meant, but I did do a project on this in 9th Grade, and the school board liked it.
    PM me if you need more clarfication.
    Price is always a good incentive.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ritzwin For This Useful Post:

simmie (04-24-2013)