Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to encourage healthy eating is schools?

Asia
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Time Online
    42 d 14 h 28 m
    Avg. Time Online
    32 m

How to encourage healthy eating is schools?

Hey guys, basically I'm doing this project that we have to think of ways to encourage students to make healthier choices. Any tips guys?

I'll +1 rep to all helpful replies, and +2-3 rep if your idea gave me an inspiration. If you include sources like where it has been done before or suggested, I'll +5 rep. Pls give some ideas, thanks so much

Zoboo Land (ง˙▿˙)ง
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    257 Post(s)
    Time Online
    18 d 16 h 52 m
    Avg. Time Online
    15 m
    The best way would be to somehow force the higher ups to introduce some sort of legislature to force healthier options in school lunches. But that's probably not going to happen, especially if the junk food giants are trying their hardest to make money off the vending machines in the lunchroom like in my middle school. All my schools ever had was crappy junk food, and the occasional mushy grey mass of broccoli-like matter. I mean, it's also partly the parents' responsibility to look after what their kids eat, but if your parents are hard working full time jobbers, they might not always have the time or the energy to prepare a lunch. Since kids are mandated to be in school I think it should be the school's responsibility and the child's right, anyway. It's also really important to introduce healthy eating habits early.

I remember reading an article written by an American mom who was raising her kids in France - she was shocked at how French pre-schoolers were getting 3 course lunches every day, with a menu that gave them a different meal every day for a month. I don't think she said it was a private school, either.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daenery For This Useful Post:

goodieboy (04-24-2013)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 692 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Time Online
    70 d 14 h 40 m
    Avg. Time Online
    56 m
    Points system. Healthier choices accrue points/punches on a card. After so many points/punches, next meal is free.

Source: Subway

Come at me bro!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wrath For This Useful Post:

goodieboy (04-24-2013)

Asia
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Time Online
    42 d 14 h 28 m
    Avg. Time Online
    32 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Federation View Post
    Points system. Healthier choices accrue points/punches on a card. After so many points/punches, next meal is free.

Source: Subway

Come at me bro!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorn View Post
    The best way would be to somehow force the higher ups to introduce some sort of legislature to force healthier options in school lunches. But that's probably not going to happen, especially if the junk food giants are trying their hardest to make money off the vending machines in the lunchroom like in my middle school. All my schools ever had was crappy junk food, and the occasional mushy grey mass of broccoli-like matter. I mean, it's also partly the parents' responsibility to look after what their kids eat, but if your parents are hard working full time jobbers, they might not always have the time or the energy to prepare a lunch. Since kids are mandated to be in school I think it should be the school's responsibility and the child's right, anyway. It's also really important to introduce healthy eating habits early.

I remember reading an article written by an American mom who was raising her kids in France - she was shocked at how French pre-schoolers were getting 3 course lunches every day, with a menu that gave them a different meal every day for a month. I don't think she said it was a private school, either.
    Thanks guys, but what I really need are specific ways to encourage them, like I thought about teachers sharing their diet choices with students during lessons, so as to influence them subtly. I'll think about the subway one, thanks for your inputs.

Banned

Wordpress
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Time Online
    81 d 19 h 59 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 2 m
    @goodieboy
    Well the first things I'd do would be to set up nutritional policies that must be obeyed to the fullest extent.

Video 1:
    http://healthyeatingatschool.ca/video/vignette-1

Video 2:
    http://healthyeatingatschool.ca/video/vignette-2

Video 3:
    http://healthyeatingatschool.ca/video/vignette-3

^ Take a look at those, around 5 minutes a piece, somewhat informative on what some schools did to encourage healthy eating among children in school.

Study from 2000-2001 Suggesting small gardens can make kids wanna eat more vegetables:
    http://www.kohalacenter.org/HISGN/pd...nstruction.pdf

How being educated on vegetables and fruits can inspire kids to eat them more:
    http://www.lifelab.org/wp-content/up...tion_Brief.pdf

Shows some informative guides, research papers, videos, on how certain schools succeeded on getting kids to eat healthier.
    http://healthyeatingatschool.ca/

If you need some more just PM me I could find some for you
    Last edited by Zeus; 04-24-2013 at 05:08 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeus For This Useful Post:

goodieboy (04-24-2013)

Asia
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Time Online
    42 d 14 h 28 m
    Avg. Time Online
    32 m
    Repped you guys, You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Federation again. Still looking at more opinions! Thanks so much @Zeus, those were immensely helpful.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to goodieboy For This Useful Post:

Zeus (04-24-2013)

Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,711 Times in 2,504 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1365 Post(s)
    Time Online
    131 d 12 h 4 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 42 m
    Eh, kids these days are little fucks.

They won't listen to reason or good-natured, formal campaigns.
    You have to get them at their fears, give them cold, hard reality.

---

Try something like a subliminal shock video:

-Like one that cycles through a thousand disturbing and extreme pictures in a minute, while playing suspenseful music.
    -And every few seconds, throw a blank slide with just a single, bolded word in the centre with a sudden, sharp sound, like:

That should hit it where it hurts for children, they'll get the message.
    If they still don't, well there's going to be even more fatties and sticks 10 years from now.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

Miri (04-24-2013)

jane and finch
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,087 Times in 945 Posts

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    831 Post(s)
    Time Online
    109 d 7 h 37 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 23 m
    I actually had to do a project similar to yours.
    To encourage healthy eating in schools, make what the kids like.

For example;; People like pizza in my school a lot.
    We just used whole grain crust, lower soduim sauce, low-fat cheese & made sure there was lots of veggies on it.
    People liked bell peppers/olives/tomatoes and all that, so we offered it. Tasted just the same as normal pizza.

And if you want to encourage fruits, just ask the schools to offer smoothies? o.O Like, if you offer breakfast in the mornings?
    Like just use strawberries/bananas/oranges, and then put in like carrot juice or some other vegtable juice. Can't even taste the vegtables,really. They don't need to know there was carrots in it.

Part of it is to also make the food look more appealing. If it honestly looks like a grey blob, would you eat it?
    or even something drenched in oil is not too good for you either. Baking foods with a little oil (Olive/Canola) makes it crispy and lower in bad fats.

looks good=people will generally try it.
    and keep it a low price point. If you can get something for $1.50 and less healthy vs 3.00, less appealing but more healthy, people will go for the first one.
    not so low it can't make profit though. Fresh food may be a bit more expensive, but what would you pay for health?

Not sure if this is what you meant, but I did do a project on this in 9th Grade, and the school board liked it.
    PM me if you need more clarfication.
    Last edited by simmie; 04-24-2013 at 12:29 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to simmie For This Useful Post:

goodieboy (04-25-2013)

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Time Online
    2 d 17 h 18 m
    Avg. Time Online
    2 m
    Well i remember at Panera Bread they decided to put up the calorie count on their menu. Ok they were forced to, and wow this made a huge difference. As soon as people saw the calorie count they decided to go for the low calorie items. i suggest that the school menu be forced to put a calorie count on all their items so kids can get a sense of what they actually intake. And trust me word goes around that the more calories you eat, the fatter you get. So this will definitely force a change toward healthy eating.

Canada
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Time Online
    13 d 10 h 8 m
    Avg. Time Online
    11 m
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmie View Post
    I actually had to do a project similar to yours.
    To encourage healthy eating in schools, make what the kids like.

For example;; People like pizza in my school a lot.
    We just used whole grain crust, lower soduim sauce, low-fat cheese & made sure there was lots of veggies on it.
    People liked bell peppers/olives/tomatoes and all that, so we offered it. Tasted just the same as normal pizza.

And if you want to encourage fruits, just ask the schools to offer smoothies? o.O Like, if you offer breakfast in the mornings?
    Like just use strawberries/bananas/oranges, and then put in like carrot juice or some other vegtable juice. Can't even taste the vegtables,really. They don't need to know there was carrots in it.

Part of it is to also make the food look more appealing. If it honestly looks like a grey blob, would you eat it?
    or even something drenched in oil is not too good for you either. Baking foods with a little oil (Olive/Canola) makes it crispy and lower in bad fats.

looks good=people will generally try it.
    and keep it a low price point. If you can get something for $1.50 and less healthy vs 3.00, less appealing but more healthy, people will go for the first one.
    not so low it can't make profit though. Fresh food may be a bit more expensive, but what would you pay for health?

Not sure if this is what you meant, but I did do a project on this in 9th Grade, and the school board liked it.
    PM me if you need more clarfication.
    Price is always a good incentive.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ritzwin For This Useful Post:

simmie (04-24-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast