41/0
    Mentioned
    165 times
    Time Online
    8d 11h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by esperanto View Post
    @(you need an account to see links), never having tried but one cigarette and one joint in my entire life..this is not my realm of expertise.

However, based on what you have said and on my nursing school experience I would advise NOT quitting cold turkey. I know it seems like it would be easier, but you've said that you suffer a lot of side effects when you have stopped for a brief amount of time in the past. I would advise slowly weaning yourself off them, the same way you would be advised to do with any other addiction if you seek medical attention. In the end it's a marathon, not a sprint. If you smoke every...30 minutes say (this is just an example here) try to keep yourself occupied for an extra 15-30 minutes, then go smoke. You'll increase your time between smokes to every 45 minutes to an hour. Assuming you get 8 hours of sleep (even though few people do xD) you'd cut your cigarettes daily from 32 to around 16-22. In time you'll find it easier to go just a little longer, especially if you take up a new hobby to occupy your time. Try to find something that gets you so engrossed that you can lose yourself for an hour or two. Again this is just my opinion as I've never actually smoked, but going cold turkey can be dangerous for your physical and mental health
    I appreciate the thought a lot, but as much as I need it to function decently in my day to day life (both pot/hasj and tabacco, the latter dominating), slowing down does not work. I tried, but then in no time I think to myself(sometimes without fully realizing) 'Ah fuck it, just gimme all!'. So while I'd want to, I think its time to give it a more serious and wanted try then in the past and go cold turkey straight on. I'll just have to go through hell.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    368 times
    Time Online
    23d 14h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I appreciate the thought a lot, but as much as I need it to function decently in my day to day life (both pot/hasj and tabacco, the latter dominating), slowing down does not work. I tried, but then in no time I think to myself(sometimes without fully realizing) 'Ah fuck it, just gimme all!'. So while I'd want to, I think its time to give it a more serious and wanted try then in the past and go cold turkey straight on. I'll just have to go through hell.
    Good luck! I really hope you can do it!!

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    54 times
    Time Online
    3d 23h 14m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    What helped me quit before was buying long cigarettes, 100's, Mistys, Virginia Slims, etc. I would smoke half at a time so a pack went a long way. I weened myself off of them eventually by cutting back. Also, whatever you prefer, smoke a different flavor. I used to smoke Marlboro Menthol 100's and when I was quitting I switched to Misty long blue pack, it was super light and the taste turned me off. Good luck!

OOOOAAARRGGHH!!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    165 times
    Time Online
    8d 11h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Meagan View Post
    What helped me quit before was buying long cigarettes, 100's, Mistys, Virginia Slims, etc. I would smoke half at a time so a pack went a long way. I weened myself off of them eventually by cutting back. Also, whatever you prefer, smoke a different flavor. I used to smoke Marlboro Menthol 100's and when I was quitting I switched to Misty long blue pack, it was super light and the taste turned me off. Good luck!
    Lol, I pretty much like any flavour or brand, so I won't be turned off by the taste quickly.

A sad, crude, twisted little girl.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    14/0
    Mentioned
    117 times
    Time Online
    64d 22h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    I remember when my friend who had been smoking for 5 years decided to quit. She told me something that I never forgot:

"Think of it as losing weight; there are no shortcuts, there are no tricks, there is only hard work and absolute determination. You have to do it all alone. It is tough, it truly is. However, it is not impossible and I sure as hell refuse to give in."

And she successfully quit smoking. n_n Mouse, we can try our best to give you all sorts of advice and/or cheer for you but in the end, smoking is a single player game and only you can decide when and if you want to quit. Your determination, your motivation, your dedication.. only you can boost them. But yah, we'll all be cheering for you. <3

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    89/0
    Mentioned
    17 times
    Time Online
    6d 22h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I believe it is best to get an expert's advice, ie. a therapist. I believe none of us are experts, so anything we say will be a bunch of unproved knowledge. I would usually say that self control is the only thing that will help, but being addicted to that staff you can't help it. Go in to an institute perhaps, like a prison but you can get out when you feel well.