DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    8d 6h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    (English is not my first language so sorry for typos & mistakes...)

1) First of all, you need motivation, you seem to have it, it's a good start IMO.

2) Everybody says "if you have no will, you won't do it". It is completely true in one hand, but absolutely false in the other one: not manage to stop smoking doesn't mean you are weak. The nicotine is an extremely attractive poison, insecticides of the family of n�onicotino�diques use it to destroy the neural system of the insects which ask for more of it. Not manage to stop IS NOT A WEAKNESS.

3) Then, some tricks to stop smoking at one time, without any assistant of any products, by the only will:
    - Buy no more cigarettes;
    - Never have a light with you;
    - If ever you go into a tobacco (what will arrive probably), buy a ticket of bingo and chewing gums for an equal amount to that of the package of cigarettes. Believe me, you will grow tired of it fast.
    - Do not ask for cigs in the street: if you approach somebody with the intention to ask for a cig or a light, have the reflex to ask them what time is it or some other stupid questions.
    - When you want to smoke at home (the desire to smoke only lasts 5 minutes), swallow a big glass of salt water (be careful, that can make vomit, do not put too much salt in it)
    - When you have some spare time, if the desire to smoke takes over you, make sport, do some push ups.
    - Try to stop smoking with some friends, it's always easier not to do this alone.
    - In a public place, if you want to smoke, think about the advantages you'll have to stop smoking: more attractive skin, better smell, better breaths, limitation of the risks of cancer, etc....
    - If you have a boyfriend, kiss him every time you want to smoke.
    - DO NOT SMOKE ANYTHING ELSE THAT WOULD PUT BACK TO YOU THE MOVEMENT IN MIND. If you are really junkie, prefer the poppers. Plus poppers is fun.
    - Occupy your life: make full of things, even if it is just walking outside. Never stay as larva in front of the TV, because it will not restrain you from smoking (if you're bored you'll have the envy to smoke).
    - Do not compensate with food. Sex is better, it does not make you take weight.
    - Do not drink alcohol to compensate.
    - To occupy you hands: a rubixcub, a ball antistress, a zippo WITHOUT GASOLINE, a pen with click, a coin, a deck of cards,.... be creative.
    - If you fall in this again, do not discourage you. A survey shows that in every try we increase its chances to succeed the next time.
    - Go outside, hang out with people, and never feel guilty: you are the best, you have to believe in yourself ! Good luck ^_^

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Luv For This Useful Post:

Mouse (04-17-2013),Sellinglikealways (04-17-2013),SmileYaDead (04-17-2013),Toasted (04-17-2013)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    There was a period of my life when I couldn't smoke for 11 days. I had no intention of quitting, but I was unable to smoke during that period under any circumstance. It was horrible. I've done plenty of drugs, but giving up the smokes was by far the biggest challenge I've faced. Had to quit the pot for medical reasons. Panic attacks, etc. So I know what you're going to go through, and it's not going to be easy and no amount of mental or physical preparation can really get you ready for what it'll be like. I would say the best physical thing you can do is buy some cheap regular gum. $.35 is what a pack of gum costs in my parts, so it's not expensive. That way you take care of the oral fixation. Other than that, I recommend not trying to ignore your cravings. Mentally and consciously acknowledge the fact that you want a cigarette, but then tell yourself that you don't need one and that you're going to be fine without one.

If all else fails, sleep. Your mind can't tell you that you want to smoke if you're sleeping. And if you're lucky, you'll have a dream that you're smoking pot and I always seem to feel high in my dreams when I do dream of hitting the bong. Sadly the feeling does not continue once I wake up.

During my 11 days I was in jail. No gum. Loud annoying egotistical fucks parading around like idiots. Hard metal bunks to sleep in. It was shit. All the while being under the stress of potentially losing my girlfriend and the best job I had ever had in my life. It was challenging, but I made it through because there was no other option. If you truly want to quit, you'll have to duplicate the idea that there is no other option.

Good luck my queen!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    165 times
    Time Online
    8d 11h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    ^ Some tips I will def try. Thanks.

A sad, crude, twisted little girl.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    8d 6h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I know how hard it is, so I wish you the best of luck, truly =)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Luv For This Useful Post:

Mouse (04-17-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Good that you know it's bad and want to stop.
    Some smokers are so disillusioned they think it's not killing them, and their current/future illnesses are completely unrelated,

Without money for better quitting aids, and free smokes at hand you just have to keep thinking why you want to quit when you get the urge. Why do you? WHY DO YOU?

"WHY. DO. YOU?"

Tell yourself that when you're about to put another stick/rollie between your lips. Then remember your reason.

Every time you give in and light one up, thinking you can restart tomorrow, you will have already failed - and wasted the hours/days you tried to hold back.
    Don't let time go to waste.

Every puff is another minute of your life gone, another minute of future regret, and another minute of agony in your older years.
    You're still young; your health is already damaged, but at least it's still very minor now.
    If you go into your 30s, you'll shave off a lot of potential.
    Into your 40s, you're crossing into cancer territory.
    50s, deathbed, etc.

Regardless, you don't want to be huffing and puffing, wrinkled and skinny, bald and ugly when you look in the mirror as a 30 year old, do you?
    That shit's irreversible, going back all to your actions today.

---

It's going to be tough, you're going to go through withdrawal, and you'll be begging for a stick, but remember:
    All of it is temporary and brought on by feelings you amplify in your brain. Just feelings.

Brush them aside, know you're strong enough to consciously say no, and they'll eventually subside in the weeks/months ahead.
    Weeks and months are a damn long time you say? Not compared to the years you've already spent smoking.

If you can't do that, then you're weak.

I don't think you're weak though, from other aspects in your life that you've already endured, survived, and re-surfaced alive and moving.
    If you rode that stuff out and about, then smoking should be a cinch, yeah?

(And don't you hate it when people call you weak? Don't you just want to beat the fuck out of them? Use your fury against your addiction instead, and don't give people a reason to call you weak).

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

Mouse (04-17-2013),Sellinglikealways (04-17-2013),Toasted (04-17-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    165 times
    Time Online
    8d 11h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Federation View Post
    There was a period of my life when I couldn't smoke for 11 days. I had no intention of quitting, but I was unable to smoke during that period under any circumstance. It was horrible. I've done plenty of drugs, but giving up the smokes was by far the biggest challenge I've faced. Had to quit the pot for medical reasons. Panic attacks, etc. So I know what you're going to go through, and it's not going to be easy and no amount of mental or physical preparation can really get you ready for what it'll be like. I would say the best physical thing you can do is buy some cheap regular gum. $.35 is what a pack of gum costs in my parts, so it's not expensive. That way you take care of the oral fixation. Other than that, I recommend not trying to ignore your cravings. Mentally and consciously acknowledge the fact that you want a cigarette, but then tell yourself that you don't need one and that you're going to be fine without one.

If all else fails, sleep. Your mind can't tell you that you want to smoke if you're sleeping. And if you're lucky, you'll have a dream that you're smoking pot and I always seem to feel high in my dreams when I do dream of hitting the bong. Sadly the feeling does not continue once I wake up.

During my 11 days I was in jail. No gum. Loud annoying egotistical fucks parading around like idiots. Hard metal bunks to sleep in. It was shit. All the while being under the stress of potentially losing my girlfriend and the best job I had ever had in my life. It was challenging, but I made it through because there was no other option. If you truly want to quit, you'll have to duplicate the idea that there is no other option.

Good luck my queen!
    That's pretty intense to read. :o

And yea I went cold turkey once before, when I absolutely did not want to stop smoking or smoke weed. This was back when I went to NZ to my ex fiance who doesn't want to see me smoking and there was no weed easily available. I could still smoke cigarettes a few times a day, but not being able to smoke weed for about 2 weeks was enough to give me terrible nightmares, raise my insomnia to the roof and my stress level to a kill mode.

When I remember that ... I fear for what will come the next few days or weeks. Even though this time I really want to give it a serious time.
    I know I will step back to weed in the future, but want to clean up first (I always smoke it with tabacco so thats another reason) and drop the resistance level down a lot, since it's not really healthy to be able to take as much in as I can right now without passing out. When I go back to it I will smoke pure and a lot less.

Oh dear. I think I'll be talking a lot to you on skype from tomorrow on and the next few weeks.

Also, for the latter sentence I made bold; <3 - Thank you.

Also, to sum it up ... I can easily smoke between 4 to 12 joints a day (the latter especially when my best friend comes over, who's as bad as I am, but has a drinking problem on top of it - I think if I can stop smoking ... I can encourage him too to stop some of his cravings) or more when I can't catch sleep and easily smoke a big pack of cigarettes in a day if I want. Usually it's between 12-25 a day, depending on how much joints there are rolled, but they pretty much always even out.
    I've done this every day for years on end now, seeing it steadily grow throughout the years as I look back on it now.
    Last edited by Mouse; 04-17-2013 at 05:42 AM.

A sad, crude, twisted little girl.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    467 times
    Time Online
    29d 9h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    I smoked cigarettes for a good, eh...6 years?
    I've been smoking herb for about 13, lol.

Most people start out on cigs and then get peer-pressured into herb, or something like that.

It was my tenth birthday, and my parents' flight back home was delayed because of some storms. They asked my babysitter, Jason, so stay an extra two nights and to apologize to me with a promise that they'd have a really great birthday present for me when they got home. Jason, however, like normal 18-year olds just heard "Go ahead and have a few friends over to get stoned with around my daughter since we'll be gone for 2 more days." LOL

So, about 6 or 7 of his friends showed up and since I knew them all already due to previous parties (I didn't mind), they all wished me a happy birthday.
    One of the girls, Cassidy, pulled out a tiny joint while they were sitting in their circle and pointed at me asking if I wanted to "partake" in the festivities, being that it was my "big day".
    Now, don't get the wrong idea-- they already knew I was curious about herb, lol, so it wasn't like they were gonna keep having to bother me into trying it.

I sat down, took a puff, and I've had at least a joint or bowl every day since.

4 years later in middle school, I noticed some friends started smoking both herb and cigs...it concerned me because I hated the smell of cigs, but eh.
    Tried'em...kept it up until we moved down South.

Finally one day I just decided cigs were smelly and annoying and stopped.
    Haven't looked back since xD

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 4h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Just quit cold turkey.
    Its not as hard as it may sound.
    Just Use candy sticks and sugar sticks to
    keep your mouth occupied and what not.
    And if you just want to stop with all the harmful additives use vapor cigaretes they're abut 8$ a cig. But they last a very long time.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    4d 1h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Well the truth of the matter is it ain't gonna be easy. Even if you stop, you'll still be breathing in the air that your family smokes. And the no money doesn't help either. Although you aren't alone, there should be free therapy sessions out there that function to help people in your condition. Its gonna be hard since you have been exposed to smoking a long time now but think about the end result. If your mind resists then your body will too. I agree that you should take nicotine patches and go from there. But first as for help. Just like you posted here, go onto other quitting smoking threads on other sites and ask around. There may be someone who can make a difference. Also nice job, admitting you have a problem is the first step in getting rid of the problem.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    368 times
    Time Online
    23d 14h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    @(you need an account to see links), never having tried but one cigarette and one joint in my entire life..this is not my realm of expertise.

However, based on what you have said and on my nursing school experience I would advise NOT quitting cold turkey. I know it seems like it would be easier, but you've said that you suffer a lot of side effects when you have stopped for a brief amount of time in the past. I would advise slowly weaning yourself off them, the same way you would be advised to do with any other addiction if you seek medical attention. In the end it's a marathon, not a sprint. If you smoke every...30 minutes say (this is just an example here) try to keep yourself occupied for an extra 15-30 minutes, then go smoke. You'll increase your time between smokes to every 45 minutes to an hour. Assuming you get 8 hours of sleep (even though few people do xD) you'd cut your cigarettes daily from 32 to around 16-22. In time you'll find it easier to go just a little longer, especially if you take up a new hobby to occupy your time. Try to find something that gets you so engrossed that you can lose yourself for an hour or two. Again this is just my opinion as I've never actually smoked, but going cold turkey can be dangerous for your physical and mental health