19/0
    Mentioned
    733 times
    Time Online
    158d 26m
    Avg. Time Online
    56m

[Debate] Pixel games graphics

So, the other day I noticed some friends retweeting and sharing this picture:

Commenting all about how the graphic of pixel games have gone down the hill from what it was in the old days.

I was curious to know what you guys think about this "meme"/funny image, and about the matter itself...
    Do you agree? What future do you see to pixel games? Do you miss the "old graphics"?

On my opinion: when I saw this picture, all I got was hate. Hate for the person that actually did that picture. Firstly because the game they used as example, The Last Door, on the middle of the graphic, is a very close to my heart game, which is free and has a lovely atmosphere and feelings... it's a horror pixel game, and I believe is really really well done. It's made by a small company and is kind of an "indie" game, as some people often call them.

I also know that now a days, making a 3D game is much easier than actually making a pixel game, which you need to do frame by frame, and without the help of the so often used 3D models that can be moved by the skelleton you design as a base helped with a 3D program. The truth is that pixel games are dying... and not only because they take more "efford" but also because the public is very small, while video-gamers usually tend to go for the graphics of the game... just take a quick look at the best sellers videogames at this moment... a pixel game? None.

And well... makes me angry that someone would, instead of supporting the current pixel games you can find, rather than helping, they make fun of it in general.

Anyway, I would love to open a debate/discussion about the subject!
    And I will love to read your opinions!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    388/3
    Mentioned
    202 times
    Time Online
    55d 20h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Well I mean minecraft is still one of the top games atm so your logic about the top sellers is wrong. @(you need an account to see links)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    110/0
    Mentioned
    65 times
    Time Online
    35d 5h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m
    it depends, companies and people who knows how to do really good pixel games, still gonna make the graphics who all people love, so i think is not a really important thing to worry
    just my opinion, and it is probably to be wrong lol

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    25d 6h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    I like pixel graphics, I think the simplicity and nostalgia is attractive to a lot of people. I don't think they're dying, I think they're just getting less popular. They're not going to die off completely though, because there's something innately attractive about the simplicity of pixel graphics. Like Master Shake said, look at Minecraft. Very pixelated, but also very popular.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    16 times
    Time Online
    7d 11h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    I'm personally very fond of pixel graphics, but I also got a chuckle out of the "meme" and can see the irony. There's nothing I enjoy more than a well-made game in that good ol' 16bit graphics style but at the same time we've seen a huge influx of subpar games in that genre these past couple of years, which is why I think a lot of people feel sick of it. On the other hand we've also seen a gazillion subpar Unreal-engine games these years and those are equally annoying. Speaking of, I just bought The Cat Lady today and I'm really looking forward to play it, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    2d 16h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    "Minimalist" thinking is ruining pixel art. I mean, 1994's pixel art looks so beautiful. I always gush at those kinds of pixel art more than today's 3D graphics and stuff, so pretty and detailed.