Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: + full rep to anyone who can help me with one question.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    D > B > E > C > A
    1. D - Has to be first because it's the only sentence that describes the topic of the paragraph.
    A/C/E describe Canadian cities and their traffic orientations, but don't tell the reader the topic if they go first.
    And B starts with "In fact...", which means it must support or follow something, and doesn't indicate the country of "vast land" itself - thus a bad first sentence.

(Though D is a little poor itself in that it refers to "country" before "Canada", the reader only knows it's Canada after reading East and West)

2. B - Elaborates and follows D (the topic sentence), completing the thesis. "In fact" is also a bad way to end a paragraph, because it needs explanation or examples in sentences that follow, ruling it out as the final sentence.

Do you argue with someone, finish with "In fact", then stop dead in your tracks? They'll call you out, if you imagine it.

3. E - The first example, most neutral in time.

4. C - "In startling contrast", you can't contrast if there's no example before it.

5. A - Key word, "Finally". You don't say that, only to bring up more points to the same topic.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    467 times
    Time Online
    29d 9h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    A goes last since there's the word "finally" in it?

So.. DBECA
    Actually the sentence has 'finally' in it because the speaker is saying that finally traffic lights don't apply to those vehicles.
    I was born in Edison, NJ, right next to New Brunswick-- traffic lights used to apply to those vehicles.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Toasted For This Useful Post:

Cath (03-28-2013)

Pronouns
    He / Him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    229 times
    Time Online
    65d 2h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    22m
    Oh well, that was my interpretation

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    467 times
    Time Online
    29d 9h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Oh well, that was my interpretation
    No no it's fine, I was just informing you. Don't take it the wrong way hun.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasted View Post
    A comes first because it begins with the speaker, and introduces the subject of traffic lights.
    C comes next because it states a contrast.
    E Montreal is in Canada, furthering the conversation.
    B follows because Calgary (in C) is also in Canada, and the sentence begins with 'In fact," meaning it is referring to the previous statement.
    D is last because it wraps it all together in a bundle and speaks of variations from coast to coast.
    Actually the sentence has 'finally' in it because the speaker is saying that finally traffic lights don't apply to those vehicles.
    I was born in Edison, NJ, right next to New Brunswick-- traffic lights used to apply to those vehicles.
    But considering the form of this paragraph is formal, using "finally" in your sense would be informal, and impossible to distinguish with emphasis in tonal, as written in the original sentence.

I also believe the paragraph topic is not traffic lights, but the disparity in traffic orientation among regions of Canada - which would make sense to be first as the topic.

Lastly, in sentence D, the words "close observation" suggests of examples to follow. If the examples were already given beforehand, then it would be written in a more directed form, like "these close observations..."

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    467 times
    Time Online
    29d 9h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    But considering the form of this paragraph is formal, using "finally" in your sense would be informal, and impossible to distinguish with emphasis in tonal, as written in the original sentence.

I also believe the paragraph topic is not traffic lights, but the disparity in traffic orientation among regions of Canada - which would make sense to be first as the topic.

Lastly, in sentence D, the words "close observation" suggests of examples to follow. If the examples were already given beforehand, then it would be written in a more directed form, like "these close observations..."
    I definitely see what you're saying.

But I still feel confident in my argument because if you follow a few key words from each sentence, you'll get:

In my home town...
    ^Opens the paragraph with a more personal fact

In startling contrast... warns drivers to scream to a halt..
    ^Contrasts the personal fact with one from another country

a flashing red traffic light instructs drivers to careen even more wildly...
    ^Speaks more about reactions to lights, and the 'even more' relates back to the 'screaming to a halt' of the last statement

he or she could almost certainly orient him-or-herself according to the surrounding traffic patterns...

^This sentence would ideally be 2nd to last because of it's discussion on the traffic patterns previously mentioned

And to me D just wraps it all up by summarizing what was just written.
    Last edited by Toasted; 03-28-2013 at 10:43 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    I definitely see what you're saying.

But I still feel confident in my argument because if you follow a few key words from each sentence, you'll get:

In my home town...

In startling contrast... warns drivers to scream to a halt..

a flashing red traffic light instructs drivers to careen even more wildly...

he or she could almost certainly orient him-or-herself according to the surrounding traffic patterns...

And to me D just wraps it all up by summarizing what was just written.
    The "even more" is a comparison to what was said earlier in the sentence, due to common knowledge the reader should know about traffic, wherein red lights mean stop; not try to swerve like a nut.
    If the reader doesn't know that, then he/she also doesn't know what traffic is and this whole paragraph is pointless to the reader.

The "traffic patterns" is the completion of the topic (hence why I picked it as #2), it is the lead-in to the 3 traffic examples to follow. Again based on common knowledge that the reader already knows what traffic is.
    ---

I gotta run out for a bit. I'm eager for your counter-argument, so don't think I ran away from this just yet,

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    467 times
    Time Online
    29d 9h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    The "even more" is a comparison to what was said earlier in the sentence, due to common knowledge the reader should know about traffic, wherein red lights mean stop; not try to swerve like a nut.
    If the reader doesn't know that, then he/she also doesn't know what traffic is and this whole paragraph is pointless to the reader.

The "traffic patterns" is the completion of the topic (hence why I picked it as #2), it is the lead-in to the 3 traffic examples to follow. Again based on common knowledge that the reader already knows what traffic is.
    ---

I gotta run out for a bit. I'm eager for your counter-argument, so don't think I ran away from this just yet,
    Actually the way I see it, the "even more" refers to the previous sentence about screaming to a halt, and then following it with careening even more wildly.
    I dunno. Maybe it's just me.

B can't be #2, as it wouldn't make sense to talk about dropping a Canadian off in Canada after they just got through talking about New Brunswick...right? o.0

I want to hear @(you need an account to see links)'s opinion so far. xD

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    B can't be #2, as it wouldn't make sense to talk about dropping a Canadian off in Canada after they just got through talking about New Brunswick...right? o.0

I want to hear John's opinion so far. xD
    I meant B as #2 for my own ordering, not yours,

It looks like we're both adamant in our opinions already;
    this isn't going anywhere until the real answer gets back to us,

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    D, B, E, C, A.

Because I said so. Mod has it explained well enough already and I concur.