46/0
    Mentioned
    471 times
    Time Online
    50d 14h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m

Yardsales & the value of money?

How do you guys feel about yardsales? Haha.

(Do people even have yardsales out of the south, or are we just a bunch of dirty hillbillies that throw our trash out in the grass and expect people to pay for it?)
    I've no idea, but anyway!
    I was just curious, since I'm going on a little yardsale adventure today with my mother.

When I was a kid, she used to wake me up super early and drag me around to yardsales with her and I absolutely despised it.
    I never understood why she wanted disgusting trash from other people, clothes and shoes and toys. We were poor, but we weren't poor enough to settle for junk and I was so confused. I tried to just sit in the car, dead set on not digging through piles of junk.

But lately all I've been wanting to do is yardsale, constantly, non-stop; because I want Pokemon things, digimon things, toys that I had when I was little.
    I want my childhood. I want childhood things that I still find precious, near and dear, that other people think of as junk and useless now.
    I want to find little pieces of treasure, a little adventure, something with a story.
    And I finally understand the concept of one man's trash is another man's treasure;
    I understand that the monetary value of things is absolutely irrelevant.

It's like a teenage (I'm nineteen, almost not a teen, but still) epiphany. I feel like most teenagers finally hit that point where they are like, "Shit, I want my childhood back. Let me go scrounge it up." Though some people take it overboard and that's where really bad hoarding comes in, BUT STILL. I'm not that bad.

Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive right now because I'm upset, but does anybody else feel this or am I just crazy? Haha.
    This got crazy off topic, but oh well.

WHILE ON THE SUBJECT OF MONETARY VALUE, I also find money to be of basically no substance at all either.
    Money is literally infinite; more can be acquired from numerous sorts of ways, so I've never understood why it's so precious.
    "Don't waste money on stupid shit." Waste money? Waste something that is infinite? Okay.
    Anybody else ever thought about that or?
    I'm not rich by any means. I'm still classified as poor, and certainly don't have money to "throw away", yet I still have this mindset.
    I've had hundreds and hundreds of dollars stolen from me (literally they took the money out of my bag/wallet) that I worked for, and I literally didn't care at all.
    My mother was so mad that it happened and even more so that I didn't care.
    But it's just not precious at all? I don't understand.
    Someone enlighten me, haha. The only precious thing is time, not money.
    We're pressed for time to pay our bills on time.
    It's not that we don't have the money, we don't have it at that point in time.
    This makes it sounds like I'm not appreciative, haha. But it's not like that all.

Sorry, this turned into a weird type rant sort of thing.
    Rather rant about money/yardsales than what I originally wanted to post about in the first place, haha.

Please tell me someone can relate to any of this and I'm not completely crazy, ha.
    Last edited by Umbreon; 04-06-2013 at 06:52 AM.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/1
    Mentioned
    562 times
    Time Online
    118d 6h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    No yard sales in England, we have car boot sales , basically you goto a preogranized field with a group of 100 or so other sellers and sell your items. The place is advertised the week before ect so there used to be alot of people here and alot of bargains.. Until ebay , now they pretty much are made up of the trash that would not even sell on ebay lol.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    46/0
    Mentioned
    471 times
    Time Online
    50d 14h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    @(you need an account to see links)
    That's what I was thinking LOL. I had to ask people if anyone still even had yardsales because usually everybody just puts their stuff for sale on ebay or the internet somewhere.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    467 times
    Time Online
    29d 9h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    I live in the South, too, but I'm originally from NJ.

Back when we lived there the only yard sales were Estate sales-- when some rich old fart dies, and there's no will or next-of-kin to claim their things,
    they sell the house and everything in it as an auction.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toasted For This Useful Post:

DarkByte (04-06-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    24 times
    Time Online
    1d 5h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Yard sales/garage sales/moving sales (different names for the same thing) are pretty common in Ohio. But I live in the city with a lot of broke people so it might be different out in the 'burbs.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    We have yardsales here too, though garage sales are more common.

I think they're great, but you have to be up early, because all the good things get snatched up quickly and come afternoon-time, only scraps nobody wants remain.
    Being able to negotiate prices (a rarity in Western countries) to get something dirt cheap is sweet.

I believe the greatest appeal to these second-hand sales is you can find stuff you can't get any more. Some stuff you always wanted, and some stuff you never thought of; but just 'cause it's there now and costs nearly nothing, why not?
    Yeah, we'd all rather have new stuff nobody else has touched, but when that doesn't happen, best to get what you can.

Like an old NES + Zapper + a few shitty games for $10? No way in hell I'm going to find a new one in the store now, and no way in hell I'd pass it over for just ten bucks!
    Even if it's banged up and dirty, for what I paid it's a steal, and just a few disinfectant wipes will make it all good again.

Yard/garage sales are losing their appeal since eBay makes buying what you're looking for a lot easier, quicker, and precise. But for the old fart, or just simplicity, they work for both the scavenger, and seller.

---

And about your teen crisis, lol. When I was 20, I fell exactly into your mindset. One day I found my old binder of Pokemon + Digimon cards and saw I had a few empty slots. Reminiscing about the joy they once brought me and the simpler time of being 10, I decided to finish a childhood dream. So a few bucks and a few cards off eBay eventually became completing entire sets and all variations of promos, .

I set goals though and stopped after the first generation of cardsets, otherwise I'd be dead broke now (and my friends probably wouldn't look at me the same way). Like those weirdos at my Uni that get together during break and play YGO!, I just walk by them and shake my head. In all, it was a fun summer hunting for cards and getting envelopes in the mail every couple days.
    To that end, I feel like a chapter of my life is complete, finally fulfilled.

S'yeah, you're not crazy. If everyone else thinks differently, at least you're not alone here,
    ---

The actual, physical form of money is infinite, yes.
    But in a societal sense, is not. There must be a regulated, limited supply of money to keep civilization in balance. If people and governments kept printing more money when they ran out, or just to compensate somebody hard on their luck, then everything would hyperinflate, money would lose all value, and the world would be thrown in chaos.
    Like looting, mugging, murder, ransom; pretty much destroying civilization that took us thousands of years to create.

Money is a placeholder to make everyday transactions easier, would you rather revert to trading 10 pounds of cheese for 5 pounds of pork, or driving a truck with 400 heads of lettuce for an iPod? The cheese would probably start to stink from the sweat off my back and start melting down my neck too.

The old saying holds true, "time is money", and I'll also throw in "money is life". Since the whole point of us is to live, that makes money important (to me at least).
    You can argue you can go on without any money, but I'm not going to go into those nature hermits that live in the woods, excommunicated from the present and living on river water + fire logs.

Yeah, we use money to buy things we want, but don't need.
    But we also use money to buy things we need, to live.
    If you want to be a legit, functional citizen in the present, you'll need money to buy things like a roof over your head, electricity, food, medicine, etc.
    Without them, you die, eliminating your ultimate purpose of being here, living.

Time is valuable to an individual too, it's finite. Lottery winnings aside, we get money by working, and by working, we spend time we won't get back for things we'd else rather do.
    Thus, when you lose money or someone robs you, they're taking your money, your time, and ultimately, a snip of your life away too.

So yeah, money's physical form is useless, but its value and symbolism is very important - it's life essence itself, at present.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

Leah (05-08-2013),Umbreon (04-07-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    4d 47m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    We have tons of yard sales in Virginia. I remember i got my first proper bike in a yard sale when i was 9. Ah the good times, i woke up early and went with my neighbor. You'll be surprised at how many useful items you can get from someone else's junk.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    65/0
    Mentioned
    103 times
    Time Online
    32d 6h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    I live in Pennsylvania. I love garage sales. I got a N64 and a bunch of games for $15 last summer and I had been wanting one for a while. I just haven't gotten to play it cause I can't get it to work with my tv but y'know.. xD

DER HUMPINK

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    65 times
    Time Online
    16d 2h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I LOVE YARDSALES..garage sales.. thrift stores etc!

My car currently has a bumper sticker that reads, CAUTION: I brake for yard sales

I'm in Wisconsin and there are plenty around

I shop for me.. and for resale

I have made a killing out of reselling

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    88 times
    Time Online
    22d 22h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    I can totally relate to your desire to go back to childhood... looking back on things, that's probably why I came back to neo to begin with. I replayed pretty much every game I played in elementary school over the past two years. As for yard sales, in my experience, usually the people who save enough junk to have a sale think that what they have is worth much more than it really is. I did visit thrift stores fairly often and got some good stuff.