Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mandatory redirect or auto-PM to new members.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    457 times
    Time Online
    55d 22h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    There's a filter system -___- which gets spambots most of the time, but also sometimes catches the newbies.

We haven't banned very many people for excessive spamming, and they were only the extreme cases. Katia does a lot of spam monitoring as she said xD and I try and scan through threads whenever I have free time. If you want to help us out there's the handy dandy report button

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Bringing this up again due to the reality of this being a once-a-week issue!

Won't the staff consider an automatic built in feature to limit a Newbie's post ability for a few days? Or restrict them to a newbie section until they graduate from newbie status? I think that would be the most beneficial way to handle it. People get bent out of shape every time this happens.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    467 times
    Time Online
    29d 9h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Quote Originally Posted by Federation View Post
    Bringing this up again due to the reality of this being a once-a-week issue!

Or restrict them to a newbie section until they graduate from newbie status? I think that would be the most beneficial way to handle it. People get bent out of shape every time this happens.
    YES LORD PLEASE.
    I get bent out of shape because without the idiots, this is my favorite place to be other than Neo.
    It's nice to keep things poilite, adult, and un-spammed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Toasted For This Useful Post:

Alffie (04-03-2013)

Saiyan Race
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/36
    Mentioned
    3,867 times
    Time Online
    563d 5h 38m
    Avg. Time Online
    3h 13m
    If you compare the amount of new users we get vs. the amount that go straight to spamming, it's actually very low. I like this idea, would be cool to implement and hope every new member respects our decision on restricting them for the time being but at the same this, this can actually put new members off.. resulting in more new members leaving and not coming back.

For the time being we have staff including myself to handle these members, and I think it's been handled very well this way. For example, the person who was spamming earlier was given an infraction and if they continue more, they will be temp. banned to "reflect" on their actions.
    (you need an account to see links)
    (you need an account to see links)(you need an account to see links)

------------------------
    [02/24/2013] Stealth CORE is made into the first standalone Neopets auto-player.
    ------------------------

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j03 For This Useful Post:

Dream (04-03-2013),Matt~ (04-04-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    457 times
    Time Online
    55d 22h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Quote Originally Posted by Federation View Post
    Won't the staff consider an automatic built in feature to limit a Newbie's post ability for a few days? Or restrict them to a newbie section until they graduate from newbie status? I think that would be the most beneficial way to handle it. People get bent out of shape every time this happens.
    To get out of newbie status requires posting. If you're just restricting them to a certain section, that limits how fast that'll happen.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    To get out of newbie status requires posting. If you're just restricting them to a certain section, that limits how fast that'll happen.
    I want a purple userbar...

and i honestly don't mind it, unless it's my topic from 3 months ago and i'm like... wtf?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    I'm not certain that it would limit how fast that it happens. People would still post the same, just in a certain section. I've seen it done on other sites and imo it works well.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    111 times
    Time Online
    22d 9h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    I hope this isn't considered grave-digging, (from what I read grave-digging is when a topic has been inactive for more than 3 months) I just really wanted to share my opinion about this topic, since I am a newbie after all.

I actually really like this idea, I think there should be a newbie section, where newbies would be "confined" until they rank up, but it shouldn't be dependant on time (more on that later). I think the forum should contain some of the most useful guides for new members, this could help these new members understand more about the forum; rules, ranks, rep, etiquette, language, how to's and other helpful guides. I've personally been digging around and have found many incredibly useful guides, that have helped me understand more about this forum. I also think there should be a sub-section, where newbies can ask stupid/newbie questions, that way, they wouldn't spam the regular help section as much and other users would know, what to expect when entering that section. Maybe the introductions could also be moved into that section? There could be more sections added, but I can't really think of any at the moment.

By adding these sections to the newbie section, it wouldn't be that hard to rank up, so you wouldn't be kept out of the forum for too long, just enough so that you learn what you need to. Maybe then you could even help other newbies out.

I think that this, would help everyone in the long haul, since it would be kind of a test; it would make it very apparent, which of them would like to be part of this community and which of them are just spammers (or leeches). I don't think that they, should be entirely cut off though; I think that they, should still have the ability to view other sections, they just shouldn't be able to post in them. This would make it so, that they can lurk around without stepping on anybodies toes, until they learn more about the forum.

As I previously stated I don't think that, it should be dependent on time, since that would mean you could just create an account, not log in for a week and then start spamming the place up! That wouldn't really help anything. I think that there, should be another rank added to the current ranks, which would make it, a little easier to achieve, just so that the newbie section wouldn't be spammed to death:

Currently the next rank after newbie is clarik:
    clraik:
    50 posts and either:
    -25 Reputation
    -6 Days registered

My suggestion is that we add another rank, in between these two ranks, something in the likes of this:
    clraik in training (or something like that):
    15-25 posts and either:
    -15 Reputation
    -6 Days registered (I feel this should stay the same, maybe even make the period longer on both ranks?)

I feel that this would be beneficial to both new members and older members; new members would have their own section, get to ask newbie questions and not frustrate older members (it is actually beneficial to the newbies to not do that, as they could risk getting scolded or be "left out of the group" which in turn could make them not want to be part of this community). It would be beneficial for older members for many reasons, some of which have already been stated so I wont state them again.
    I will say, that if, the new members really want to be part of the community, then they would probably be able to understand this decision, since it is better for the entire forum rand once they become part of it, they may find themselves being bothered by the exact same things.

I say all this as a newbie (I probably should of used we instead of they ), I personally wouldn't mind this at all and I actually think we would be able to learn a lot more this way and be able to fit in better, later on. Of course this is just my opinion (and I apologies for the long post), but I felt I needed to state it, since from what I gathered, one of the primary reasons this hasn't already happened is, that they don't want to scare of new members, so I just wanted to say that, at least in my opinion, they wouldn't be scarring/putting off new members by doing this.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    5/0
    Mentioned
    457 times
    Time Online
    55d 22h 41m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Quote Originally Posted by Whispers View Post
    My suggestion is that we add another rank, in between these two ranks, something in the likes of this:
    clraik in training (or something like that):
    15-25 posts and either:
    -15 Reputation
    -6 Days registered (I feel this should stay the same, maybe even make the period longer on both ranks?)
    To get reputation, you'd have to do something in the community, which isn't really possible when you're confined to just one section and can't interact with others. Rep comes from sources such as helping others on homework or posting a guide.

And 15-25 posts is dependent on if you actually have something to ask. If everything seems straightforward to you, then you'd just be spamming your way across the newbie section in order to rank up.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    111 times
    Time Online
    22d 9h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    @(you need an account to see links) well you wouldn't necessarily have to ask question, you could answer questions as well, you could also help make a guide for the newbie section, there's the introductions as well and as I stated before, there could be some other sub-sections added or they could have permission to post in certain sections such as: debate zone, sports & physical fitness, music & television etc..
    This was just a suggestion, since it seems a lot of users want this, I just thought I would add my thoughts about it.