DL/UL
    26/0
    Mentioned
    256 times
    Time Online
    53d 13h 53m
    Avg. Time Online
    18m
    I think that was sent to one of those kids that did a ton of shit a while back...

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    2h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    This letter is ancient, actually. I remember seeing it a while back, but I can't be certain of the year since I don't remember when exactly I was in my original Neopets craze. I do assume it's fake due to the mis-step in gender and the random capitalization of P in Neopets.

However, when I first saw it, the story attached to it was that there was a hacker (or two) back in the days where user-generated pages (such as lookups and shops) utilized a blacklist system as opposed to the current whitelist to prevent malicious code. The hacker took advantage of a security flaw that slipped past the blacklist and manage to compromise several dozens of accounts. Using those accounts, he proceeded to wreck the economy as much as he could, all the while including his exploit into their shops and lookups to further spread the mayhem. I also remember there was even a username attached, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

Looking back, I remember believing this story completely and totally, but now that I've been on the internet for much longer, it's pretty obviously fake or at the very least, the story I heard was greatly exaggerated. If such an event did actually happen, it probably wasn't anything more than a cookie grabber.

I do remember the change to the whitelist system soon after seeing that letter surface, but it was probably just good and believable timing.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    234 times
    Time Online
    48d 8h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by flamefury View Post
    However, when I first saw it, the story attached to it was that there was a hacker (or two) back in the days where user-generated pages (such as lookups and shops) utilized a blacklist system as opposed to the current whitelist to prevent malicious code. The hacker took advantage of a security flaw that slipped past the blacklist and manage to compromise several dozens of accounts. Using those accounts, he proceeded to wreck the economy as much as he could, all the while including his exploit into their shops and lookups to further spread the mayhem. I also remember there was even a username attached, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.
    wasn't it Kaos?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to grrrawr For This Useful Post:

flamefury (03-19-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    2/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    2h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Hah, just googled the name and then bam, like, 3 forum thread hits dating back to 2006. Kaos and InfamousX241, I do remember this a little more clearly now. The event I found was more about when Kaos CGed a mod and then started shutting down boards.

Good times. I may have been around for that even, but I didn't use the boards at all when I was a kid.

Now, whether or not the letter actually was sent to Kaos is debatable, but I know for certain whatever Kaos did was being attached to this letter in an attempt to prove its authenticity.