Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question about selling lends...

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    343 times
    Time Online
    287d 1h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 38m

Quick question about selling lends...

Is it common practice for the seller to change the buyers password whilst the lend takes place?

If not how does one prevent the buyer from changing login details during the lend and stealing the item?

Talking about bigger items really.

Thanks for your info!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 15h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    I never change the password. I ask for info and tell them to kindly stay off the account til I tell them I'm finished lending.
    But I never say EXACTLY when I'm going to lend
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Batgirl (03-14-2013),Maki (03-14-2013),Nath (03-14-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    343 times
    Time Online
    287d 1h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 38m
    Hey buddy thanks for the info.

I don't get that though...surely that's a huge risk.

People can be on Neo for hours - as soon as they see it being gifted to them what's to stop them changing their info and vanishing into the night?

Hmm..

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    336 times
    Time Online
    47d 12h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by nayfeee View Post

People can be on Neo for hours - as soon as they see it being gifted to them what's to stop them changing their info and vanishing into the night?

Hmm..
    How would people see it being gifted to them?

I mean...all the lends I've payed for, I've stayed off the account until the person told me they were done.

The only thing that could possibly tip em off is the change in the avvie count, but who is honestly going sit there and refresh for 24 hours straight? o.o

The lender won't get on if they can tell the person has been on the account when they told them not to. (NM's, posts, under one day ago, etc)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    98/0
    Mentioned
    10 times
    Time Online
    18d 15h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I've only bought a few lends but I have stayed off the account until I got a PM that they were done. I'm a little paranoid about TNT seeing two people on the account.

Most of the time the lend doesn't happen right away, so a person would have to be on the account and see when the item is in the inventory or something like that. That just seems like too much trouble to me.

I only change the password to something easy before the lend, and change it after the lend is complete and the item is returned.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    15 times
    Time Online
    23d 14h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    change the pw friend of mine lost a msp tcg this way..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to __darkmaster For This Useful Post:

Nath (03-14-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    42 times
    Time Online
    11d 19h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    I have only been lent and bought a lent once, and it was BGC. I just stayed off the account and waited till the person was done. It all went smoothly and lender was REALLY polite.
    uuh.. if you need help w/ spanish-english & english-spanish translations, just shoot me a pm and i'll answer when I have time c:

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    If someone wants to scam you they will. Even if you change the pass, my thought is okay, well I'll just send a change password email once my password doesn't work and lock you out of the account as well, hopefully you've sent the item. Auto-refreshing to watch the avatar count is easy and simple with addons. Hell I imagine one could write a greasemonkey script to notify when the amount changes if they really wanted to. One method I thought about was forcing a screen-share skype call, but that is just as easily countered by having a second computer, or even in this day in age, a smartphone. So really, no matter what you do with lends, the risk is there. You've got to be able to trust the person you're lending to. I really wanted to get into the lending market, but I've been considering this aspect of it for a long time.

Really, unless they were small lends like ZDAP or FQD, I thought I'd probably go super paranoid about it and change password+email, do the lend, send it back to myself, change the email+password back. But this would look shifty to TNT I assume and is a potential risk for the buyer. So once again, it boils down to trust and reputation, which unfortunately doesn't mean much to a lot of people. =/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wrath For This Useful Post:

Poem (03-14-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    30/0
    Mentioned
    1,998 times
    Time Online
    437d 15h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    2h 30m
    Quote Originally Posted by nayfeee View Post

Hmm..
    I've never had any problems with it, I've always done it this way.
    On another forum, I've done a few mass MSPP lendings (talking 50-80 people) in one night. Never had anybody try to take it, everything went smoooth.

Like I said, I just have them send me the info, tell me when they are usually on, and I tell them not to log back in until after I PM them.
    Idk, maybe I'm too trusting?
    But usually I can get a lend done pretty quick. I'll be logged in, then log into the account to be lent on another proxy. Send the item, accept.. equip (suap), go to stats and unequip, then to lookup and send it out. Very quick and clean and safe
    What's my definition of success?
    Creating something no one else can
    Being brave enough to dream big
    Grindin' when you're told to just quit
    Giving more when you got nothin' left

13. The Following User Says Thank You to I_royalty_I For This Useful Post:

Nath (03-15-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    88 times
    Time Online
    22d 22h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    7m
    One thing that could really help if you are concerned is requiring a last seen of at least one day. Someone would need to code a program to auto refresh the User Lookup until it changes to under one day, then log in and snatch the item all before the lend is done. While not exactly risk free, it would be much safer than having an under one day last seen because the owner could hypothetically be lurking and refreshing while in the account. However, I only know of one person who had their item stolen from a lend gone wrong and to put things in perspective, that person got a SUAP iced by putting it on the trading post with a 1 month old account. As long as you give a fairly wide time frame for lends I think that you should be okay.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Graff For This Useful Post:

Nath (03-15-2013)