Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    8d 6h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m

What do you think about...

Homosexuality ?

First, how is it seen in your country/state, and second, what do you personally think about this.

I live in France, and in the place I live in, it's kinda accepted. I mean, you'll always find some people looking bad at you, specially the elderly persons and some youg stupid guys annoying two girls (of course) together. One day I was in the metro station, and two girls were holding their hands, without doing anything "annoying" or "disgusting" (sometimes I see some heterosexual kissing and touching each other I just feel I want to vomit), and a group of youngs guys went to them saying that men were essential in girls' life and they could help them love guys (you know what I mean...). The poor girls had to leave the metro since they became more and more insistent.

Ps : excuse my poor english, this is not my first language.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    122/0
    Mentioned
    89 times
    Time Online
    15d 16h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Meh, I grew up in the state of california so I learned tolerance, and acceptance. However where I live now in Missouri people here are homophobic. I have seen some gay couples opening display thier affection in public, and have seen others that refuse to do so.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    8d 6h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by utahclock View Post
    Meh, I grew up in the state of california so I learned tolerance, and acceptance. However where I live now in Missouri people here are homophobic. I have seen some gay couples opening display thier affection in public, and have seen others that refuse to do so.
    What happens to people who show their affection in public ?

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    Quote Originally Posted by Luv View Post
    What happens to people who show their affection in public ?
    They get stoned!

~Jk. And probably shouldn't joke since this is still an issue at large for many. However, eventually the old foagies will die off and tolerance will reign supreme. I don't really support it nor am I against it. I am neutral on this one, because it isn't a part of my life and doesn't matter to me. I lean more for the support side I guess because I feel like everyone should be able to have their basic freedoms, i.e getting married, children, etc. but you won't see me at any rallies, or parades. Why should it matter to you at all? It does not affect you. Period. (For people against it)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    122/0
    Mentioned
    89 times
    Time Online
    15d 16h 59m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    in california it was no big deal, here in missouri people might heckle at a gay couple

Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/1
    Mentioned
    562 times
    Time Online
    118d 6h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    In England it depends on the area , in the crappy places two men kissing might get ripped on by some kids/some random drunk person....

Personally no issue with it had many gay/bi friends can't see the problem myself. The whole gay marriage thing is a week argument I think. Marriage might of been a relegious thing at one point but now days many people who get married don't see it as such. So the whole its "against" my religion stuff should not even come into it.... Maybe I just misunderstand the argument...

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    In Canada, it's pretty (might even say very) accepted. There are LBGT rights and laws, organizations, events, etc.

Public Pride parades, that sort of stuff. With a huge turnout every year, in every city.
    (Though there was one year I was blasted awake by Lady Gaga's "Born this Way" from outside, along with yelling and cheering. The paraders kept coming and didn't leave until half an hour later, (-_-) . Not the best thing to wake up to when you shouldn't be awake for 5 more hours)

I think it's fine, no problems with them; to each their own. I've got a few gay friends, I just have a few ground rules with them:

1. No coming onto me
    2. Don't tell me your explicit fantasies of Ian Somerhandler or whoever
    3. Don't fake to others that we're butt buddies

---

Because LBGTs are a minority and not the norm, there's always going to be at least some opposition from others, wherever you are (even here in Canada). Also due to traditional and biological viewpoints, it makes sense for only a man and woman to be together. You can't naturally have a kid with 2 hot dogs or 2 donuts. It's this hardwired thinking and ingraining in society that gives LBGTs a rough time (how many children's storybooks do you find with a prince/princess vs. 2 princes?).

Usually it's the older generations, or youths that haven't matured and can think for themselves yet that are the biggest challengers. They are abrasive in thought, and highly influentual by what the media or others tell them to think. Don't tell me when you were 6-12, you weren't a little thrown off by LBGTs too, hey?

What matters is what you believe when you're an adult. I expect in the future, LBGTs will be even more accepted, but it won't be ubiquitous in approval like sliced bread for a very long time, if ever.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    8d 6h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Federation View Post
    They get stoned!

~Jk. And probably shouldn't joke since this is still an issue at large for many. However, eventually the old foagies will die off and tolerance will reign supreme. I don't really support it nor am I against it. I am neutral on this one, because it isn't a part of my life and doesn't matter to me. I lean more for the support side I guess because I feel like everyone should be able to have their basic freedoms, i.e getting married, children, etc. but you won't see me at any rallies, or parades. Why should it matter to you at all? It does not affect you. Period. (For people against it)
    Talking about parades and stuff, I don't quite understand : they want people to treat them like "normal people", but most of them don't act "normal" (well normality is another problem here, what is "normality" nowadays ?) by parading in streets and showing and being proud of their difference.
    Here in France wedding has been accepted a couple of weeks ago, but people can't adopt yet. Though for this time when we watched television they were only talking about gay marriage forgetting "real" important stuff.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/1
    Mentioned
    562 times
    Time Online
    118d 6h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    Quote Originally Posted by Luv View Post
    Talking about parades and stuff, I don't quite understand : they want people to treat them like "normal people", but most of them don't act "normal" (well normality is another problem here, what is "normality" nowadays ?) by parading in streets and showing and being proud of their difference.
    Here in France wedding has been accepted a couple of weeks ago, but people can't adopt yet. Though for this time when we watched television they were only talking about gay marriage forgetting "real" important stuff.
    I have heard this argument lots , but I expect when they have equal rights those things will calm down though. It is largely for awareness. But I expect getting together with like-minded people is always nice in any situation.
    Last edited by DarkByte; 03-07-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: dyslexia

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    9 times
    Time Online
    8d 6h 27m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    @(you need an account to see links) : marriage nowadays has not the same signification as it used to be. I think it is still a religious problem, but why can't 2 people love each other and "officialize" their love. Tell everybody "hey look, s/he is my partner and I chose her/him in my life and s/he's part of my family".
    And this is also a practical aspect, talking about money, tax is shared.

About the adoption, I think it's fair it's legalized so people can take a consistent line about homosexuality and against homophobia. It's ridiculous to condemn homophobic acts according to the law and refuse (according to the same law) that gays can adopt. It's like they say "You can't be againt homosexuals because they are normal people, just like heterosexuals" and "gays can't get married nor adopt because they are different from the heterosexuals", this is insane ! The french governement doesn't dare to assume a pro-gay position, so they accord some homophobics speaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    In Canada, it's pretty (might even say very) accepted. There are LBGT rights and laws, organizations, events, etc.

Public Pride parades, that sort of stuff. With a huge turnout every year, in every city.
    (Though there was one year I was blasted awake by Lady Gaga's "Born this Way" from outside, along with yelling and cheering. The paraders kept coming and didn't leave until half an hour later, (-_-) . Not the best thing to wake up to when you shouldn't be awake for 5 more hours)

I think it's fine, no problems with them; to each their own. I've got a few gay friends, I just have a few ground rules with them:

1. No coming onto me
    2. Don't tell me your explicit fantasies of Ian Somerhandler or whoever
    3. Don't fake to others that we're butt buddies

---

Because LBGTs are a minority and not the norm, there's always going to be at least some opposition from others, wherever you are (even here in Canada). Also due to traditional and biological viewpoints, it makes sense for only a man and woman to be together. You can't naturally have a kid with 2 hot dogs or 2 donuts. It's this hardwired thinking and ingraining in society that gives LBGTs a rough time (how many children's storybooks do you find with a prince/princess vs. 2 princes?).

Usually it's the older generations, or youths that haven't matured and can think for themselves yet that are the biggest challengers. They are abrasive in thought, and highly influentual by what the media or others tell them to think. Don't tell me when you were 6-12, you weren't a little thrown off by LBGTs too, hey?

What matters is what you believe when you're an adult. I expect in the future, LBGTs will be even more accepted, but it won't be ubiquitous in approval like sliced bread for a very long time, if ever.
    I think the society will never allow the same rights for homesexuals, because like you say, it has always been so, and unfortunately it won't change. You'll never see a book with two princes/sses. People are scared of things they don't know, and they don't even try to understand people that are not like them, because they grow up like this, and the society allowed this, and still will.

Gays have been tortured for this, and a lot of people prefer to hide instead of being kicked out of the society and they fake eveybody and themselves. Sad.