Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: What do you think about...

  1. #1
    Luv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Location
    France
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 30 Times in 25 Posts


    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Time Online
    8 d 6 h 27 m
    Avg. Time Online
    6 m
    Rep Power
    5

    What do you think about...

    Homosexuality ?

    First, how is it seen in your country/state, and second, what do you personally think about this.

    I live in France, and in the place I live in, it's kinda accepted. I mean, you'll always find some people looking bad at you, specially the elderly persons and some youg stupid guys annoying two girls (of course) together. One day I was in the metro station, and two girls were holding their hands, without doing anything "annoying" or "disgusting" (sometimes I see some heterosexual kissing and touching each other I just feel I want to vomit), and a group of youngs guys went to them saying that men were essential in girls' life and they could help them love guys (you know what I mean...). The poor girls had to leave the metro since they became more and more insistent.

    Ps : excuse my poor english, this is not my first language.

  2. #2
    utahclock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Posts
    671
    Thanks
    361
    Thanked 376 Times in 197 Posts


    Downloads
    122
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Time Online
    15 d 16 h 59 m
    Avg. Time Online
    12 m
    Rep Power
    7
    Meh, I grew up in the state of california so I learned tolerance, and acceptance. However where I live now in Missouri people here are homophobic. I have seen some gay couples opening display thier affection in public, and have seen others that refuse to do so.

  3. #3
    Luv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Location
    France
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 30 Times in 25 Posts


    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Time Online
    8 d 6 h 27 m
    Avg. Time Online
    6 m
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by utahclock View Post
    Meh, I grew up in the state of california so I learned tolerance, and acceptance. However where I live now in Missouri people here are homophobic. I have seen some gay couples opening display thier affection in public, and have seen others that refuse to do so.
    What happens to people who show their affection in public ?

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Posts
    7
    Thanks
    747
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 692 Posts


    Downloads
    86
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Time Online
    70 d 14 h 40 m
    Avg. Time Online
    56 m
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Luv View Post
    What happens to people who show their affection in public ?
    They get stoned!

    ~Jk. And probably shouldn't joke since this is still an issue at large for many. However, eventually the old foagies will die off and tolerance will reign supreme. I don't really support it nor am I against it. I am neutral on this one, because it isn't a part of my life and doesn't matter to me. I lean more for the support side I guess because I feel like everyone should be able to have their basic freedoms, i.e getting married, children, etc. but you won't see me at any rallies, or parades. Why should it matter to you at all? It does not affect you. Period. (For people against it)

  5. #5
    utahclock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Posts
    671
    Thanks
    361
    Thanked 376 Times in 197 Posts


    Downloads
    122
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Time Online
    15 d 16 h 59 m
    Avg. Time Online
    12 m
    Rep Power
    7
    in california it was no big deal, here in missouri people might heckle at a gay couple

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender
    Location
    90 90
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,714
    Thanks
    876
    Thanked 2,877 Times in 1,139 Posts


    Downloads
    44
    Uploads
    1
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Time Online
    118 d 6 h 45 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 30 m
    Rep Power
    0
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: DarkByt3 PSN ID: raredaredevil
    In England it depends on the area , in the crappy places two men kissing might get ripped on by some kids/some random drunk person....

    Personally no issue with it had many gay/bi friends can't see the problem myself. The whole gay marriage thing is a week argument I think. Marriage might of been a relegious thing at one point but now days many people who get married don't see it as such. So the whole its "against" my religion stuff should not even come into it.... Maybe I just misunderstand the argument...

  7. #7

    Mod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Gender
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,821
    Thanks
    1,563
    Thanked 4,711 Times in 2,504 Posts


    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    1365 Post(s)
    Time Online
    131 d 12 h 4 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 42 m
    Rep Power
    11
    In Canada, it's pretty (might even say very) accepted. There are LBGT rights and laws, organizations, events, etc.

    Public Pride parades, that sort of stuff. With a huge turnout every year, in every city.
    (Though there was one year I was blasted awake by Lady Gaga's "Born this Way" from outside, along with yelling and cheering. The paraders kept coming and didn't leave until half an hour later, (-_-) . Not the best thing to wake up to when you shouldn't be awake for 5 more hours)

    I think it's fine, no problems with them; to each their own. I've got a few gay friends, I just have a few ground rules with them:

    1. No coming onto me
    2. Don't tell me your explicit fantasies of Ian Somerhandler or whoever
    3. Don't fake to others that we're butt buddies

    ---

    Because LBGTs are a minority and not the norm, there's always going to be at least some opposition from others, wherever you are (even here in Canada). Also due to traditional and biological viewpoints, it makes sense for only a man and woman to be together. You can't naturally have a kid with 2 hot dogs or 2 donuts. It's this hardwired thinking and ingraining in society that gives LBGTs a rough time (how many children's storybooks do you find with a prince/princess vs. 2 princes?).

    Usually it's the older generations, or youths that haven't matured and can think for themselves yet that are the biggest challengers. They are abrasive in thought, and highly influentual by what the media or others tell them to think. Don't tell me when you were 6-12, you weren't a little thrown off by LBGTs too, hey?

    What matters is what you believe when you're an adult. I expect in the future, LBGTs will be even more accepted, but it won't be ubiquitous in approval like sliced bread for a very long time, if ever.

  8. #8
    Luv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Location
    France
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 30 Times in 25 Posts


    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Time Online
    8 d 6 h 27 m
    Avg. Time Online
    6 m
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Federation View Post
    They get stoned!

    ~Jk. And probably shouldn't joke since this is still an issue at large for many. However, eventually the old foagies will die off and tolerance will reign supreme. I don't really support it nor am I against it. I am neutral on this one, because it isn't a part of my life and doesn't matter to me. I lean more for the support side I guess because I feel like everyone should be able to have their basic freedoms, i.e getting married, children, etc. but you won't see me at any rallies, or parades. Why should it matter to you at all? It does not affect you. Period. (For people against it)
    Talking about parades and stuff, I don't quite understand : they want people to treat them like "normal people", but most of them don't act "normal" (well normality is another problem here, what is "normality" nowadays ?) by parading in streets and showing and being proud of their difference.
    Here in France wedding has been accepted a couple of weeks ago, but people can't adopt yet. Though for this time when we watched television they were only talking about gay marriage forgetting "real" important stuff.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Gender
    Location
    90 90
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,714
    Thanks
    876
    Thanked 2,877 Times in 1,139 Posts


    Downloads
    44
    Uploads
    1
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Time Online
    118 d 6 h 45 m
    Avg. Time Online
    1 h 30 m
    Rep Power
    0
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: DarkByt3 PSN ID: raredaredevil
    Quote Originally Posted by Luv View Post
    Talking about parades and stuff, I don't quite understand : they want people to treat them like "normal people", but most of them don't act "normal" (well normality is another problem here, what is "normality" nowadays ?) by parading in streets and showing and being proud of their difference.
    Here in France wedding has been accepted a couple of weeks ago, but people can't adopt yet. Though for this time when we watched television they were only talking about gay marriage forgetting "real" important stuff.
    I have heard this argument lots , but I expect when they have equal rights those things will calm down though. It is largely for awareness. But I expect getting together with like-minded people is always nice in any situation.
    Last edited by DarkByte; 03-07-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: dyslexia

  10. #10
    Luv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Location
    France
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 30 Times in 25 Posts


    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Time Online
    8 d 6 h 27 m
    Avg. Time Online
    6 m
    Rep Power
    5
    @raredaredevil : marriage nowadays has not the same signification as it used to be. I think it is still a religious problem, but why can't 2 people love each other and "officialize" their love. Tell everybody "hey look, s/he is my partner and I chose her/him in my life and s/he's part of my family".
    And this is also a practical aspect, talking about money, tax is shared.

    About the adoption, I think it's fair it's legalized so people can take a consistent line about homosexuality and against homophobia. It's ridiculous to condemn homophobic acts according to the law and refuse (according to the same law) that gays can adopt. It's like they say "You can't be againt homosexuals because they are normal people, just like heterosexuals" and "gays can't get married nor adopt because they are different from the heterosexuals", this is insane ! The french governement doesn't dare to assume a pro-gay position, so they accord some homophobics speaches.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    In Canada, it's pretty (might even say very) accepted. There are LBGT rights and laws, organizations, events, etc.

    Public Pride parades, that sort of stuff. With a huge turnout every year, in every city.
    (Though there was one year I was blasted awake by Lady Gaga's "Born this Way" from outside, along with yelling and cheering. The paraders kept coming and didn't leave until half an hour later, (-_-) . Not the best thing to wake up to when you shouldn't be awake for 5 more hours)

    I think it's fine, no problems with them; to each their own. I've got a few gay friends, I just have a few ground rules with them:

    1. No coming onto me
    2. Don't tell me your explicit fantasies of Ian Somerhandler or whoever
    3. Don't fake to others that we're butt buddies

    ---

    Because LBGTs are a minority and not the norm, there's always going to be at least some opposition from others, wherever you are (even here in Canada). Also due to traditional and biological viewpoints, it makes sense for only a man and woman to be together. You can't naturally have a kid with 2 hot dogs or 2 donuts. It's this hardwired thinking and ingraining in society that gives LBGTs a rough time (how many children's storybooks do you find with a prince/princess vs. 2 princes?).

    Usually it's the older generations, or youths that haven't matured and can think for themselves yet that are the biggest challengers. They are abrasive in thought, and highly influentual by what the media or others tell them to think. Don't tell me when you were 6-12, you weren't a little thrown off by LBGTs too, hey?

    What matters is what you believe when you're an adult. I expect in the future, LBGTs will be even more accepted, but it won't be ubiquitous in approval like sliced bread for a very long time, if ever.
    I think the society will never allow the same rights for homesexuals, because like you say, it has always been so, and unfortunately it won't change. You'll never see a book with two princes/sses. People are scared of things they don't know, and they don't even try to understand people that are not like them, because they grow up like this, and the society allowed this, and still will.

    Gays have been tortured for this, and a lot of people prefer to hide instead of being kicked out of the society and they fake eveybody and themselves. Sad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •