336 times
    Time Online
    47d 12h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m

{{ Batgirl's Comprehensive Guide to Neocash! }}

Batgirl's Guide to the NC Mall!

What is the NC Mall?
    The NC (short for Neocash) Mall, introduced in July 2007, is pretty much exactly what it says: a mall. It's a collection of shops in one place. What makes it different from the rest of Neopets is that it runs on real-life money! No neopoint spending here because everything in the mall is bought with Neocash. Users pay money (depending on the currency, how much Neocash you get for your buck is a bit different) which gets converted into Neocash. With this Neocash, you have the ability to buy a variety of items within the mall.

What items can I get in the NC Mall?
    There is always a variety of items for sale in the NC Mall, but depending on the season, holiday time, and events going on around the site, the items differ. Shops that are always in the mall are listed below, along with the types of items within them listed.

With the shops that every user gets, there are also shops that only certain people can access. They're listed below, along with the requirements to be able to use them.

How to Obtain Neocash

How do you get Neocash?

There are a few different ways to obtain Neocash. By far the most popular item is NeoCash Cards. Neocash cards can be found in a variety of places, depending on where you live. Below are places you can find Neocash cards. If your country isn't listed, that means there is no place in your country to buy Neocash cards. Each country has stores who sell Neocash cards in different amounts. I won't list all the amounts because I'm lazy, but you can basically get anywhere from $5-$100 cards. At the end of this guide, I will list members of CK who sell Neocash cards as well.

The reason Neocash Cards are popular is because each card gives you gift boxes. The more NC purchased, the more boxes you obtain. A general rule is 500 NC from a card gets you one gift box. With exchange rates, there is a little give and take on this rule. Gift boxes will be explained later in the guide. Along with your gift boxes, when redeeming a card you'll receive one of a set of card redemption NC items. TNT changes these up once in a while, but sometimes slacks on it, so be prepared to have 20 Summer Chia Fruit Sculptures in your SDB. After redeeming a set number of cards, you'll also receive a bonus NP item, and even bonus NC if you're lucky. Make sure to watch out for promotions going on at the time to find out the optimal way to get the most for you money. If you're ever unsure about current promos, post on the NC Mall boards, someone will surely know the answer. Wal-Mart also has an e-mail delivery method to buying NC Cards. TBH, this method is so intensely frustrating, I've completely given up on it. Many users have similar problems, but it seems Wal-Mart has problems accepting payments for the cards. I've personally never had a successful transaction while using a debit card, visa gift card, or paypal. A few users have had success with this method, so if it works for you, lucky you!

Another method of obtaining Neocash cards is to buy directly on site. The options are for 500 NC ($5), 1000 NC ($10), 2500 NC ($25), and 5000 NC ($50). The downside to this is that you are not awarded gift boxes with your on-site purchase. The reason behind this is that giving out gift boxes with purchases violates laws or codes in certain countries. Until TNT decides to make a "US Only" option or something similar for the countries whose laws it does not violate, we're stuck with no gift boxes with on-site purchases.

What's a gift box, what are they used for, and how do I get them?

A gift box is an item you use to transfer NC items to other accounts. Unlike regular Neopoint items, where you can send any item to another account, Neocash item REQUIRE gift boxes. Because of this, boxes are a treasured items among NCers (People who trade and enjoy using NC). There are three different ways to acquire boxes.

1.) The first is via Neocash cards, as mentioned above. The general rule is 500 NC = 1 Gift Box, but varies during conversion between currencies. For US residents, a $10 Neocash card gives you 2 Gift Boxes, while a $25 Neocash card gives you 5 Gift Boxes.
    2.) The second way to obtain Gift Boxes is via Gift Box Capsules (GBC's). GBC's are capsules that are released the last week of the month into the NC mall. They cost 200 NC. When opened, you have the chance to get either 1, 2, or 5 boxes. If you're lucky to get 5 boxes, the fifth box will be the limited edition box for that particular GBC. Since GBC's are so random with how many boxes they give, it's a general rule that one GBC will give you one box. Along with your Gift Boxes, you'll also receive one or multiple items adding up to 200 NC, or more if you're lucky! In general, these items are referred to as "cap junk." Open up enough of these, and you'll end up with 27 Pastel Blue Bows and 30 I <3 NC flags. (Like me. xD) On occasion, you'll receive items that you actually want from the mall. If you're eyeballing a single item in the mall that isn't a special event item or capsule, and are planning to open a bunch of GBC's, wait to buy it til after you open your GBC's, since you could very likely end up with the item you want.
    3.) The last way to gain Gift Boxes is through special events. In the past few years, TNT has been stingy with giving away Gift Boxes, unlike they were when the NC Mall first opened. The only event that I'm aware of (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that regularly gives out Gift Boxes is the Stocking Stufftacular in December. You can acquire up to 3 "free" Gift Boxes by hanging stockings on a certain consecutive amount of days.

What is a retired item, and what are non-retiring items?

Retired items are items that were only sold for a certain time in the mall and items received from plots, events, or NC Mall games that are no longer playable. In order to get these items, you'll need to trade for them onsite on the NC Mall board on-site, or buy them from someone here on CK.
    Non-retiring items are items that have no retire date and are always available in the NC Mall. These are often included in the "cap junk" referred to in the GBC section. If an item is due to retire, it'll be listed at the bottom of the main NC Mall page, under "Retiring Soon."

The NC Chat

NC Chat Vocabulary and Abbreviations
    Confused by all the vocabulary being used by traders on the boards and sellers here on CK? Below you'll find the abbreviations for trading terms, as well as abbreviations for popular items.

Items:
    Cap
    Mystery Capsule. Some people refer to GBC's as Caps. To clear up any confusion, stick to using GBC for Gift Box Capsules!
    GBC
    Gift Box Capsule. Please don't refer to these as caps, it can lead to a miscommunications!
    SP
    Superpack. These are only available in the NC Mall, they do all eventually retire.
    BG
    Background. Any item that occupies the background area of a pet.
    FG
    Foreground. Any item that occupies the foreground area of a pet.
    FP
    Facepaint. Any item that occupies the facial area of a pet, and actually says facepaint in the item name.
    NC
    Neocash. I hope at this point in the guide I don't have to elaborate.
    MME
    Mysterious Morphing Experiment. An item that has different stages that morph into other items after it retires.

Terms:
    TL
    Tradelist. A list of items located either on a petpage, in a person's gallery, or in someone's NC Album that are up for trade. (I recommend never using your NC album as your TL. Possibly the most annoying thing you can do, since people can't ctrl+f to find a particular item they are looking for.)
    S: & O:
    Seeking & Offering. The person will state the item(s) they are seeking, and the item(s) they will offer.
    UFT
    Up for trade. Exactly what it says, someone has an item or items up for trade.
    WL
    Wishlist. A list of items located either on a petpage or in a person's gallery that they are seeking.
    FQC
    Faerie Quest Cookie. One of Noda's Fortune Cookies that award the user 1 guaranteed random faerie quest for 7 days.
    HTPW
    Hard to part with. This indicates that this item or group of items mean a lot to a person and they are hesitant to trade it. Similar to being attached to a pet on the PC.
    Custom
    This is where you offer to buy something directly from the mall to trade to another person. Most commonly used like, "Offering 1000 NC custom for..."
    LE
    Limited Edition. Any item that came inside a capsule as a limited edition item.

Popular NC Item Abbreviations

Trading Etiquette
    When trading, there are a few unspoken rules that you'll need to know. You don't have to follow them, but if you want a good reputation on the NC Boards, you'll follow these.

Your Wishlist & Tradelist
    In order to start trading, you'll need to make a Wishlist and Tradelist. For both of these, I recommend Jellyneo's WL maker, within their item database. You can make up to 5 lists.

Wishlist: Items within your WL should include items you want. Many people separate it into categories, such as "Priority Wishes" (or wishes that you want the most and are looking to trade for at that moment) and "Casual Wishes" (items you want, but aren't looking to trade for at this exact moment.) Many people put their WL & TL on the same pet page. It doesn't have to be fancy. You can easily have JN generate the code for you and slap it on a petpage. If someone is using their gallery as a TL, they may have a section in the CSS for their wishes. If you have more than five wishes, put them on a pet page. No one wants to read your 3 post list of items you want. xD

Tradelist: Items on your TL should include items you have that you would like to trade. This can be included on a petpage with your WL, your gallery, or in your NC Album (For the love of God, just don't do this.) There can be many different categories to you TL. Personally, on my TL, I have the categories "Closet & HTPW", "Regular NC Tradelist (Retired)", and "Buyables." It's up to you how you want to organize you TL.

Values
    One of the most difficult things to grasp about NC trading is the values. Every NC item you would trade on the NC Boards has a value. NC items are valued in "Caps." In general, when speaking of values, the general consensus is that 1 cap = 200 NC (Or $2). PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THIS IS THE VALUE OF ITEMS ON NEOPETS AND THE NC MALL BOARDS ONLY.
    If you're looking to value an item for a trade, the most commonly used value guide is /~filigrees. At the top of that page, there is also a text-only link, which I prefer. Another decent guide is /~sears, though it isn't updated nearly as often, to my knowledge. There is also a guide of recent trades, /~kaddis. Here, you'll find recent trades for popular and high valued items, so you can see what value they are trading at, since they tend to fluctuate a lot.
    If you're ever unsure of the value of an item, make a value check board! Out of the hundreds of people on the boards, at least one should be able to give you some general idea of a value. Also, a good idea before making a trade you're not sure about, make a fair trade board! Similar to a A/R/B board, minus the beat, since that's frowned upon on the NC.
    Looking at the values of some items, you'll notice a wide range of caps. In order to narrow down what the value is, look at what /~filigrees says. For example, let's use AC Wig. Filigrees values it at ~90-110 caps (when this is being written.) That's about 20 caps worth of wiggle room. It's up to the trader whether or not they are gonna make you do a full 110 cap trade. There's always room for negotiation in any trade!
    The last thing on values is the symbols. When looking at Filigrees, you'll notice the symobls ~ and +. The symbol ~ means around, or that is can go for a cap more or less. The symbol + (as in Robertas are valued at ~6+), means that it could easily go for a bit more (1-2 caps) since it's highly sought after.

How do you go about making a trade, then?
    Before you go advertising your willingness to trade, you need to do a few things.
    First, check to make sure you have gift boxes. You'd be surprised how often you find you're out of them.
    Now to start to make a board, or you go looking at other boards. Make sure you have a direct link to your WL/TL.
    Next, wait for offers, of course. Once you find one where you know the values are equal and both parties are happy, you'll need to do the trade.
    Make sure you're both 100% clear on the items you are trading. USE FULL ITEM NAMES WHEN CONFIRMING THE TRADE.
    Next, ask the person where you'll be sending the item. Do not assume they want it on the account they are on, many people like items sent to their sides to conserve boxes.
    Next, remove the items from where ever they are, and have them in your inventory.
    While both a box and the item are in your inventory, click on the gift box. Here, you'll see a series of prompts. Fill out all the information. It's always safest to copy and paste the name of the account you're sending to!
    After your item has been sent, you should receive your item. It's then safe to open your gift and accept. You should receive two neomails within this time. One confirming you were sent a gift, and one informing you that the other person has received your gift.
    The last step is standard, but not necessary. Reply to either the board or in neomail that your item has been sent (most people copy and paste the "Congratulations, your item has been sent too...") and a thanks for the trade.

What do you do if a trade goes wrong?
    Unfortunately, like anywhere in life, there will be people who scam. It's not something you need to worry about too much if you follow my directions above. Once you are seasoned enough, you'll be able to pick up on sketchy people who are there to do you harm. In any case, if it does happen, there are a few tips to make sure you get anything you lost back.
    If the other person ends up sending the wrong item, simply do not accept. Neomail them and explain, and most people will be happy enough to send your items back by rejecting it as well.
    If they do not send the item back, and instead accept it, then do something like block you, then that is the time to report. If they do talk to you but refuse to give back your item, that's also reason to report. At this point, it's time to take screenies of neomails and board posts confirming the trade. TNT usually gets back to people fairly quickly, since NC deals with real money.
    Now, say you sent your item but never got an item in return. This does not mean you need to go straight and report them! If you never received a NM saying they got your item, then no need to fret. Something might have happened that they needed to step away. Until you receive a NM saying they accepted the gift, you don't need to worry. All unopened gifts (and the box) are returned to you within 48 hours.
    As always, when in doubt, make a board! Be careful not to post any usernames, for you can be reported for harassment.

Neocash and Clraik
    So what if I wanna buy NC here on CK?
    Throughout CK, there are some really awesome people who sell NC (and I'll list them here for you as well :3). There are a few things to know before you buy.
    1.) CK has a widely accepted value system of 1 cap = $1. That's half the price of items on the NC Boards. (And requires no gift boxes from you, unless specified by the seller.)
    2.) This goes without saying, but make sure you check someone's iTrader before you trade with them. Try to avoid Newbie's unless you can tell they're honestly just trying to sell their own personal NC to make some money.
    3.) Although I'm sure every seller on here does this, but to be on the safe side: MAKE SURE YOU ASK IF THE ITEMS ARE SECURE AND LEGIT. TNT will reverse trades of non-secured goods if it is brought to their attention.

One last thing....

Special thanks to @(you need an account to see links) for helping on some coding problems :3
    Last edited by PrettySarcastic; 09-11-2020 at 09:45 PM.

2. The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Batgirl For This Useful Post:

Bettser (03-06-2013),Cody. (03-06-2013),Colby (04-25-2013),Daenery (04-21-2013),DarkAngel (03-05-2013),Dom~ (06-27-2013),Drizzy (03-05-2013),esperanto (03-05-2013),goldentryst (03-08-2013),Graff (03-17-2013),grrrawr (03-05-2013),I_royalty_I (07-04-2013),kooldude888 (03-05-2013),Lindsay (11-10-2014),M.V.P (03-05-2013),Mary674 (11-16-2015),Matt~ (03-09-2013),Mod (03-05-2013),Naomi (03-24-2014),Poem (03-22-2013),simmie (03-06-2013),SmileYaDead (03-05-2013),Soul (06-27-2013),Toasted (03-06-2013),treehugger (10-21-2013),Umbreon (07-16-2013),wrath (03-05-2013),yamakracker (03-05-2013)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    86/0
    Mentioned
    464 times
    Time Online
    70d 14h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    24m
    First! And, great guide.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wrath For This Useful Post:

Batgirl (03-05-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    43/0
    Mentioned
    79 times
    Time Online
    17d 20h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    detailed and good guide for new people to NC.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to yamakracker For This Useful Post:

Batgirl (03-05-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    336 times
    Time Online
    47d 12h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    I wish I could read as fast as you guys. ;_;

<3

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    43/0
    Mentioned
    79 times
    Time Online
    17d 20h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowbreakdown View Post
    I wish I could read as fast as you guys. ;_;

<3
    just speed read?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    336 times
    Time Online
    47d 12h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by yamakracker View Post
    just speed read?
    ^ Talent I do not have. xD

PS. Totally made this guide instead of doing my research essay for English.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    234 times
    Time Online
    48d 8h 13m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    great guide, baby girl <3

11. The Following User Says Thank You to grrrawr For This Useful Post:

Batgirl (03-05-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    You had my rep at the banner, it's sick!

Like something from the tech-80s!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

Batgirl (03-05-2013),wrath (03-05-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    336 times
    Time Online
    47d 12h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    You had my rep at the banner, it's sick!

Like something from the tech-80s!
    Thanks so much! Glad you like it xD

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    467 times
    Time Online
    29d 9h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Thanks for adding reputation to this user. May you be lucky enough to receive the same Reputation back in turn.

I love this guide~ Yay South Park!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Toasted For This Useful Post:

Batgirl (03-06-2013)