DL/UL
    44/1
    Mentioned
    562 times
    Time Online
    118d 6h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    You: Hello mam this is steven calling from three , I am phoneing you today to offer you a exclusive phone contract on a iphone 5 for only �20 a month on the one plan (unlimited everything). Whats more there is nothing to pay up front and your first bill is free. So there is nothing to pay for 60 days. Would you be intrested we will need no bank information from you today and the phone will be with you in 24 hours.

Person: zomg yes

You: Ok I will just need a few questions from you , first your adress
    person : blahblahblah
    You: Next I need 2 security questions. What was the name of your first dog?
    person blahblah
    You: What us your mothers maiden name:
    person :blahblah

Social engineering is a trick that can get you places. I have seen people ring up companys and pretend to work in there it department to get access to there systems or blueprints ect for security equipment so they can find exploits in it. Its a bit extreme for neopets , just throwing it out there lol. If you are intrested in social engineering you should read "the art of deception" by Kevin Mitnick.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DarkByte For This Useful Post:

esperanto (02-21-2013),Mod (02-21-2013),Nath (02-21-2013),Sellinglikealways (02-21-2013),utahclock (02-21-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    23/0
    Mentioned
    368 times
    Time Online
    23d 14h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by nayfeee View Post
    Haha well I know a fair bit I will drop you a PM when I get home from work if you like
    Sure thing

4. The Following User Says Thank You to esperanto For This Useful Post:

Nath (02-21-2013)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    29 times
    Time Online
    15d 22h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    if all else fails, i like blackmail.

I considered e-mailing the kid this one girl likes (the and her friend e-mailed about it) and forwarding those messages if she didn't give me her neopets account. She wasn't on it for a while, but it was really nice. I didn't though, but I probably could do that for a lot of people, haha.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    164 times
    Time Online
    15d 11h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by esperanto View Post
    @(you need an account to see links),

@(you need an account to see links) and I may be potentially able to help you, depending on how good you feel you already did on snooping. Snooping (ahem STALKING) is fun for us ^_^

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Death For This Useful Post:

esperanto (02-21-2013),utahclock (02-21-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Quote Originally Posted by raredaredevil View Post
    You: Next I need 2 security questions. What was the name of your first dog?
    person blahblah
    Anyone that falls for that question off a mobile operator rep deserves to be conned.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

Maki (02-21-2013)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/1
    Mentioned
    562 times
    Time Online
    118d 6h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    You would be surprised people don't think about it and its a pretty standard security question .

A scam in u.k recently is people phoneing you pretending to be from your isp. They tell you they have detected a virus on your pc and its sending out loads of data so they are going to ban you unless it stops. They then get you to bring up windows error console logs (always has entrys) and to the unknowing person it looks bad. So they get remote desktop info to your pc and tell you they will it fex it for a small fee.

Then they have your bank info and load your pc with viruses lol.

With skype this is easy to do. If only 1/100 people fall for it , its still worth it to the people doing it (mostly indian call centeres , and as alot of isps themselves use indian call centers it just adds to the scam).
    Last edited by DarkByte; 02-21-2013 at 04:57 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DarkByte For This Useful Post:

Mod (02-21-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    People in our generation and the one under us are pretty much immune to these pathetic scams. If they still do, then that's what they get for living the "life" and being dumb.

Unfortunately it's our parents' generation and the one above that are easy suckers. Disgusting really, scammers stealing hard-worked earnings and retirement funds from old people, who probably don't have much anyways if they fell for it. Scammers need to know honest, hard work like their parents did, instead of stealing. They wouldn't even be here without the older generations.

Gotta admit, my dad is one of them. When I went home for Christmas, he complained his laptop was ultra slow and probably had a virus. So I check it out and on startup are 2 bloatware and misadvertised anti-spyware programs running. I asked him why he downloaded them, he said, "Because it was slow before. I checked it! They said they were endorsed by Microsoft!"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

DarkByte (02-21-2013)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    44/1
    Mentioned
    562 times
    Time Online
    118d 6h 45m
    Avg. Time Online
    40m
    My dad too one of the pc people phoned while I lived with him and he said "My son knows more about this stuff than me" and hands me the phone. They start to say they have been looking at packets from my pc and I say , why? You should not be looking at what I do on my pc. -Click- lol.

Then my dad was acting like he knew it was a scam , I know he would of fell for it though lol.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DarkByte For This Useful Post:

Maki (02-21-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Quote Originally Posted by raredaredevil View Post
    My dad too one of the pc people phoned while I lived with him and he said "My son knows more about this stuff than me" and hands me the phone. They start to say they have been looking at packets from my pc and I say , why? You should not be looking at what I do on my pc. -Click- lol.

Then my dad was acting like he knew it was a scam , I know he would of fell for it though lol.
    Scammer: gg no rm.