Thread: The SECRET to trading up in Neopets!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    247 times
    Time Online
    86d 16h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m

The SECRET to trading up in Neopets!

Be it wanting to get your dream pet, or obtaining a higher-end pet to sell… this guide will teach you the real way trading up works!
    I frequent the pound chat a lot, and since I migrated here, I thought I'd share some of my abundant experience with you. I wrote this guide assuming you have some knowledge of the tier hierarchy in pets and name formats. But if there is any clarification you need feel free to bring it up.

So without further ado, five truths and a secret to trading up:

Truth one
    Trading up is necessary to achieve dream pets. Let's face it: You are NOT going to go from a badly-named baby kougra to an unconverted faerie lenny.
    Truth two
    Trading up takes time. Anybody looking at this guide and not willing to invest some effort into trading will not get the results that they want.
    Truth three
    Trading up takes luck. You’re going to find that a lot as you embark on your journey.
    Truth four
    Trading values fluctuate. Sometimes, a pet will be worth more and other times less. I might make a guide later showing how to manipulate these values to your advantage
    Truth five
    The majority of the population will not trade down. So you’re going to have to sneak around and find another way… which brings me to…

The SECRET in trading up is subjectivity!

This is also the biggest way to bridge the perpetually growing gap between converted and unconverted trading. People ask how it is done, and the answer is always subjectivity.

What is subjective?
    Subjective means that the value depends on the other person rather than in a fixed tiered system. The MOST subjective type of pet is the “real name and real word category” e.g. pets named Cup, Tree, Emily, or Caesar. These values tend to fluctuate a LOT.
    Also, some valuable named-pets include pets with 4 letters or less in their name.
    There are also certain tiers of pets that are immensely subjective. An unconverted faerie lenny, for example, would not be very subjective. But rarer pets, especially unconverteds (e.g. uc tyrannian lenny) are more subjective.
    Vwn pets are also very subjective, because people will overoffer for those. So are battledome pets, to less of a degree than all of the aforementioned.

What is an example of subjective trading?
    This is a fictional example and choice of names used is purely coincidental, but it is not unrealistic at all and is heavily based on my past trading experiences.
    Say I have a vwn converted royalgirl kyrii. Say my end goal is an any-named unconverted grey kacheek.
    I first advertise my kyrii for a 3 or 4 letter pet. After a few days I come across Cip the three letter pet. I decide to trade for said pet.
    Then, a bn grey draik owner is seeking 3 letter pets. I offer them Cip and they accept. I now have a bn grey draik, but I don’t want to be stuck with a bn pet since they are not subjective.
    I advertise my draik for a real word/real name pet. After a while, somebody offers the rw Animated. I decide to gamble and accept the offer.
    After a while of advertising Animated, somebody who is passionate about animations and has a great character for the word comes and offers their vwn uc darigan usul, and we trade.
    After acquiring the usul, I decide to trade for another uc a little more subjective, a vwn uc mutant hissi.
    An uc grey kacheek owner makes a board specifically seeking a vwn hissi, and we trade. Voila! From rg kyrii to uc grey kacheek.
    Realistically, this chain would take anywhere from two months to ten. Like I said, it takes time to trade, and it helps if you are trading multiple pets at once (there are many advantages to this).

How does subjective trading work?
    As you can see above, I got from my rg kyrii to a grey draik with the name “Cip” in the middle. The old owner of Cip saw him as only worth a rg kyrii, but the grey draik owner thought it was worth his pet.
    The goal is to obtain a pet that opinions can be varied.
    Same goes for the other steps. Some people wouldn’t even offer a baby pet on Animated, but others would offer their uc! Rws are very subjective because each one brings a new meaning to different people.
    A vwn uc darigan usul is subjective because it is vwn and not common, but the hissi is moreso. While it is only a mutant, it is very sought-after, especially if its name is nice. A lot of people will overoffer for it, and that’s what the kacheek owner did.
    However, this type of trading also takes patience for finding that perfect somebody who will overoffer for your pet.
    If you’re just starting out with a converted, try for short named pets or uncommon rw/rn. From there on you will make slow but giant leaps. I personally traded an uncommon rw that nobody wanted for a vwn uc mutant scorchio.

Alternatives
    Other than subjective trading you can also trade by tiers, which is wait until you get a slight overoffer and then trade, and never hopping into the subjectivity zone. For example, I can go from an uc baby kougra to an uc grey grundo to an uc faerie kyrii… etc.
    But I find this method to be slow and tedious because you have to go through a lot of steps (and you only have limited transfers, don’t forget!)
    And who in the right mind will overoffer for your pet? You can always take advantage of people who don’t know their values, but it is a very sketchy way of trading and I do not support it at all. The superior way is to trade subjectively so everybody along the path will think they are getting a good deal. Everybody wins!

Closing words
    To recap, the types of subjective pets are:
    - rw/rn
    - short-named pets
    - vwn pets*
    - bd pets
    *Name means everything in trading, just remember that.
    Types of uc’s that are subjective include but are not limited to: uc tyrannians, uc usuki, certain rarer uc darigans and greys, uc maraquans. As a rule of thumb, anything that doesn’t pop up for trade often can be subjective. And always remember to keep subjective pets in the vwn zone, if possible!
    And if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask, I am very experienced with pet trading and I am willing to help. (I migrated here from the PC )
    Good luck on your endeavors! I wish you success.
    Last edited by Poem; 02-17-2013 at 05:32 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Poem For This Useful Post:

iBeast (03-05-2013),kec (02-27-2013),Lindsay (11-10-2014),Raposa (02-08-2016),SmileYaDead (02-18-2013),Toasted (02-17-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    467 times
    Time Online
    29d 9h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Great guide, hun!
    I'm positive this will help a lot of folks out.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    41/0
    Mentioned
    247 times
    Time Online
    86d 16h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    30m
    Thank youuuu!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    17 times
    Time Online
    5d 11h 49m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Nice guide.. it's so true that value of UC in boards and outside forum are completely different. like you could get a UC plushie for a VWN Shoy..

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    11/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    1d 1h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    cloths thx