2/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    23d 9h 16m
    Avg. Time Online
    8m
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci_Girl View Post
    1. Source? I really hope you are not referring to the Earth being "proven" to be a few thousand years old.

2. You are not serious about that...right? I can understand joking about it but honestly how is that believable?

3. People place meaning on meaningless things. Artifacts are found all the time. It does not mean it is the supposed chalice or boat that is written in a book that in itself is just passed down stories with no proven validity.

4. As already mentioned the laws apply to closed systems.

5. Fossil records are always being added to. During your studies you should try to add an Evolutionary Biology or Anthropology class. You will learn quite a lot.

6. Again, check out some courses offered for your degree. There is a lot to learn.

7. I had a conversation once with a guy who had the same argument. So I asked what is the evidence of that and he mentioned that because he cannot watch bacteria on a plate become something else within his time it was not possible to have evolution and increased complexity occur. Those who have no clue about mutations, know what they are, how they work automatically assume they are the worst. Those people fail to understand the generational factor in it all. We are not talking about a couple generations and and a new species forms. We are talking about an inconceivable amount of generations over a time span of multiple billions of years. We cannot comprehend that. The changes that occur are not quick they are not sudden. It is billion of years of minute change. Billions. With a B.

Turned out that conversation I had with the guy who thought his opinion was beyond top notch failed to understand what a mutation was in the first place. He did not understand that it involved a change in genetic material, he just assumed mutation meant bad change.

8. That one made me laugh. Ever heard of the psychological phenomenon known as pareidolia? It involves seeing things that are not there. Like the rock on the moon that many see as a face or more recently lizards and women amongst the rocks on Mars. The galaxy you describe is a well known one called galaxy M51. One of the arms indicates where a black hole is an the dust being scattered because of it. The other arm is the effects of the dust but perpendicular to account for the vortex. It is also referred to as the X galaxy. Pareidolia. Meaning out of nothing but dust. Looking up at the clouds and "seeing" Jesus's face does not mean there is a Heaven in those clouds.

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

I am going to tske a wild guess and say you are first year? You would not happen to be at one of those Faith-based Universities? I do not know if they have a specific name or not. Since you are a Biology major at school I can suggest some courses that would help get those answers. Anthropology, Earth Science/Geology, Evolutionary Biology, Microbiology, Genetics, Zoology, Molecular Biology and Psychology...to help understand why people choose to have the beliefs they do. Your degree will cover many of those courses listed anyway. I have my BSc degree already. There is a lot of interesting material out there on these subjects.

Oh and just for reference sake if you ever need help with an assignment or general questions feel free to send me a PM and I will do my best to help. I have been through the classes and the headaches they are lol it gets frustrating at times.
    Actually (and maybe this is embarrassing then?) I'm a junior/senior; graduating a year early to hop into graduate school... My university is not a faith-based university; it was at one time long ago I believe, but hasn't been for quite some time. We are a smaller school though, so I don't have access to a lot of those courses. I have taken a mandatory evolution course, though. Aside from that I'm human biology so I don't think many of those courses are directly applicable to my degree. ;n;

it certainly does get frustrating. Dealing with 20 credits, of which more than half are writing intensive. A lot of busy work. I barely have time to go to the damn bathroom, I swear. I will definitely keep you in mind, though I don't know what your background is in neuroscience and physiology. Genetics might be an interesting one to dive into haha.

Anyways, again, everything above was a quick synopses I used from that website. I'd have to dive into my notes from back in HS to argue everything; I'm sure I'd have to add in some research too (of which I do not have time to do right now haha). Serves me right, really. I shouldn't be throwing shit out there without the proper base to back things up. I honestly have more experience in the evidence surrounding evolution (though I choose to believe otherwise). My background on creationism is obviously faith, but also here-say (again, serves me right). Like the cross galaxy, here-say. My physics professor mentioned it to us a few years back. I can't remember the full conversation or anything, but I do recall it being rather convincing.

Anywho, yes, I have learned my lesson. I'm sure I'll be back by winter break with research to back me up.
    Last edited by Raichuu; 09-27-2015 at 07:42 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Raichuu For This Useful Post:

Sci_Girl (09-27-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Remember from your studies and writing papers, blogs mean nothing. Personal opinion pieces formatted into a website mean nothing. The worst on this type of subject is getting someone who uses a God blog as their "evidence". I made that mistake with my first paper in Uni lol...always use reputable sources and avoid contractions in writing lol. Two things I will always keep with me from my study rigors.

It's cool if you believe in Creationism and all, it is just that if someone says why then there needs to be some real good evidence. Especially if you are already a science major, you should be able to whip it up into something with validity because you already dabble into reading confusing papers.

though I don't know what your background is in neuroscience or physiology.
    I have taken both. Neuroscience more so with biopsychology, human neuropsychology, neurobiology and so on type stuff. Not sure what Human Biology is, never took a course in that.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sci_Girl For This Useful Post:

cloudxcrash (10-05-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 times
    Time Online
    31d 16h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m
    not sure if this thread is dead or not, haven't been on here for a while, and sorry if this has already been brought up. but i'm curious how creationists explain viruses developing immunity to new medicine?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by P h o e n i x View Post
    not sure if this thread is dead or not, haven't been on here for a while, and sorry if this has already been brought up. but i'm curious how creationists explain viruses developing immunity to new medicine?
    God's plan all along? Maybe?

Not just viruses. More pertinent to daily life is the bacterial immunity. Same question applies.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    45/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    7d 12h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Honestly the fact of evolution doesn't make much sense to me as there is not any other species as I have researched have previous evolutions of them still alive (monkeys to humans and shit like that) but I also do not believe in a certain God.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    36 times
    Time Online
    13d 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    Quote Originally Posted by P h o e n i x View Post
    As an ex-christian: micro vs. macro-evolution is the answer they would jump to. "The hepatitis C virus has no vaccine because it is changing faster than we can make a vaccine for it. However, these are small changes and no matter what happens, the virus would always be hepatitis C. Macro-evolution is making the assertion that the hepatitis C virus has the capacity to mutate into the influenza virus, HIV, or anything that isn't hepatitis C."
    It comes from the premise that the genes contain everything that it can be and phenotypes are determined only by which genes are turned on or off. Nothing can be added or removed, like a house with a lot of rooms. You can flick the light switches on and off but you can't add any more rooms or bulbs.

I have a strong feeling that people that believe in creationism are just people that don't understand evolution well enough.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ribbon For This Useful Post:

littlespacecase (10-18-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBaphomet View Post
    Honestly the fact of evolution doesn't make much sense to me as there is not any other species as I have researched have previous evolutions of them still alive (monkeys to humans and shit like that) but I also do not believe in a certain God.

If you are looking for the "missing link" still alive it will not happen. The changes in evolution are not abrupt they are not concrete. Instead they are very small very gradual over millions of years. You will not find a living specimen to say "here is animal X now watch as it turns into animal Y to show the evolutionary connection". Fossil records hold the answers you seek for those gradual changes. Very very gradual. A lot of people expect it to be like X to Y in one generation like in a movie or something lol. The timescale is so vast that people cannot comprehend how many changes happen in that span. I even have a hard time grasping it. We live for what 100 years hopefully? We think that is a long time and those people get stuck on this. This is talking billions of years l, with a B. That is a lot of available time to have change occur...the change that is evolution of species.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    137 times
    Time Online
    53d 21h 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBaphomet View Post

Humans didn't come from monkeys, they came from similar ancestry. Here's a basic evolutionary timeline or w/e you wanna call it:

Anyway, evolution is something that happens over a very, very long period of time, of which humans can't comprehend or "see", like what @(you need an account to see links) said, so I can def. see where you're coming from, it's a difficult concept to grasp and "believe" because most if not all the evidence you see are things of the past such as fossils, DNA studies, comparative anatomy etc. etc. but obiovulsy with advancing technology, more evidence can be found to back up evolution. But to me there is already a tonne of evidence to back up evolution.

As for an example of species of animal that undergoe evolution, you should check out peppered moths. Too lazy to check more legitimate resources but (you need an account to see links)

[/FONT]

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fleur For This Useful Post:

littlespacecase (10-18-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    3 times
    Time Online
    11h 51m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quite the contrary, many animals have their own social taboos. Chimpanzees are known to have sex in private, meaning that they hold one another accountable for being discrete. They have a conscience for taboos that are relevant to their own communities.

We aren't really related to Orcas, but Orcas can even have different cultural taboos depending on which pod you're looking at. Indicating that Orcas have distinct tribal cultures. Animals in the wild often do deal with complex moral dilemmas which they must consider, such as when a cheetah must decide if it wants to adopt an orphaned lion cub etc. Just because these animals don't process information or communicate the same way that we do does not make them inferior, and to suggest that it does is just short sighted and self centered.

There are in fact, many parts of organs which don't work perfectly. There are organs that we no longer need, such as the appendix and tonsils. If you X-ray a whale, you can see that at one point in their evolution they had legs...which they clearly don't need now. If we as mere humans can make wolves look like pomeranians in a few thousand years...it's easy to imagine what millions of years of natural selection could do.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    575 times
    Time Online
    62d 4h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    21m
    Quote Originally Posted by littlespacecase View Post
    Quite the contrary, many animals have their own social taboos. Chimpanzees are known to have sex in private, meaning that they hold one another accountable for being discrete. They have a conscience for taboos that are relevant to their own communities.

We aren't really related to Orcas, but Orcas can even have different cultural taboos depending on which pod you're looking at. Indicating that Orcas have distinct tribal cultures. Animals in the wild often do deal with complex moral dilemmas which they must consider, such as when a cheetah must decide if it wants to adopt an orphaned lion cub etc. Just because these animals don't process information or communicate the same way that we do does not make them inferior, and to suggest that it does is just short sighted and self centered.

There are in fact, many parts of organs which don't work perfectly. There are organs that we no longer need, such as the appendix and tonsils. If you X-ray a whale, you can see that at one point in their evolution they had legs...which they clearly don't need now. If we as mere humans can make wolves look like pomeranians in a few thousand years...it's easy to imagine what millions of years of natural selection could do.
    Agreed!

Really comes to common sense because monkeys(all types) would be still evolving into us if we where even related. Sure we're close in DNA but connection I think stops there but you never know what will happen between now and million years maybe monkey evolve to the point of "higher" intelligence or we make them smart through science!! Scary. I would like to know how old monkeys are to humans though, maybe they're another 50m years away from reaching our intelligence *shrug* i kinder think we will probably destroy ourself long before we will know that one lol. War hungry humans lol