DL/UL
    63/0
    Mentioned
    79 times
    Time Online
    6d 13h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Evolution, even though I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school. Special creationism just doesn't make sense, although when the scientific community doesn't understand something it should only be fair to accept all possible explanations for it even the existence of God or some higher deity. So it's not like I totally don't believe in a higher power. But no, creationism doesn't explain too many things about the universe and the Earth itself for me to accept it as fact.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    2d 12h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorFan21 View Post
    If evolution was true then how come humans haven't evolved at all? And you can't say radiometric dating because how can you determine the age of something not man-made with a man-made process?
    This is an example of someone who doesn't know the facts trying to make an argument. Humans have evolved, if you want it explained to you read a book.

Secondly, radioactive decay is not a man made process, it occurs naturally over time due to the instability of certain isotopes. All that humans can do is test the ratio of different isotopes and use a simple formula to determine the age of something.

I'm done arguing, if I go on any more its going to piss me off and piss everyone else off.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    20/0
    Mentioned
    14 times
    Time Online
    5d 21h 21m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by GKBrendan View Post
    if you want it explained to you read a book.
    I do read a book, I believe it is called umm the Holy Bible.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    63/0
    Mentioned
    79 times
    Time Online
    6d 13h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Oh boy I sense a storm approaching...

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    25 times
    Time Online
    4d 21h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorFan21 View Post
    I do read a book, I believe it is called umm the Holy Bible.
    The Bible was written by people, not by God. People used to believe that thunder and lightening and storms were caused by God because they didn't understand the reality behind why things were happening. I literally just finished a course on the origin of Christianity from a college with a religious affiliation, so if you want to argue that point, I have an entire semesters worth of facts I can throw at you.

I believe in evolution. But I don't think that that means that there hasn't been some sort of divine intervention along the way. I personally believe that there may have been some driving force behind the Big Bang because we have not been able to replicate it yet. But I have seen and read (and I've worked at 2 different zoos) enough evidence of animals, and humans for that matter, evolving that outright denying the existence of it seems naive. And natural selection IS evolution. I remember reading recently that there have been more documented cases of rhinos being born with smaller horns, or no horns at all, because the rhinos that have smaller horns weren't being killed at the same rate as rhinos with larger horns by poachers. And we have physical proof of homo sapien predecessors.

Do I believe in an omnipotent God who created us from dust? No.
    Do I believe that there is some greater force that could have forced the Big Bang? Maybe.
    Do I believe that evolution is a real and ongoing process? Absolutely.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Katie For This Useful Post:

GOAT (05-17-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    63/0
    Mentioned
    79 times
    Time Online
    6d 13h 43m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    The Bible was written by people, not by God. People used to believe that thunder and lightening and storms were caused by God because they didn't understand the reality behind why things were happening. I literally just finished a course on the origin of Christianity from a college with a religious affiliation, so if you want to argue that point, I have an entire semesters worth of facts I can throw at you.

I believe in evolution. But I don't think that that means that there hasn't been some sort of divine intervention along the way. I personally believe that there may have been some driving force behind the Big Bang because we have not been able to replicate it yet. But I have seen and read (and I've worked at 2 different zoos) enough evidence of animals, and humans for that matter, evolving that outright denying the existence of it seems naive. And natural selection IS evolution. I remember reading recently that there have been more documented cases of rhinos being born with smaller horns, or no horns at all, because the rhinos that have smaller horns weren't being killed at the same rate as rhinos with larger horns by poachers. And we have physical proof of homo sapien predecessors.

Do I believe in an omnipotent God who created us from dust? No.
    Do I believe that there is some greater force that could have forced the Big Bang? Maybe.
    Do I believe that evolution is a real and ongoing process? Absolutely.
    THIS. Perfectly sums up my views: evolution is bomb, but I can't deny the possibility of a higher power until I have evidence that refutes it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GOAT For This Useful Post:

Katie (05-18-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    219 times
    Time Online
    40d 7h 25m
    Avg. Time Online
    15m

Lightbulb

I believe in both, in a way. I believe that we are entities of consciousness continuing to gather knowledge about how to create things and do so by living lives and experiences in different forms and in different ways. I think Earth is only a small fragment of what we are as a whole and I think that our consciousness goes beyond the universe into something that you only understand after death. We created the universe, and many others, and have been doing this forever. Time only exists for the things that we make to advance ourselves and that�s why destruction is so prevalent within the universe. We learn what we can from it and make something new.
    Everything is so complex and so perfectly made in such a beautiful play and I feel that we underestimate ourselves by assuming that a single God or many Gods are behind all of this when we, the conscious beings, might very well be the creators of our own existence. The cat and the maggot and the dolphin are the same thing. For all we know, many of us could be one entity, strung out into different times and areas, each one experiencing something new to bring to the vast knowledge of everything. Everything.
    I had a dream once where I was in three places at the same time. In one place, I was a small creature sitting by a dark purple waterfall, being stalked by a predator, in another I was having sex with someone, in the third place I was nothing but hundreds of strange glowing squares. The squares were outlined by a bright light, and had a film over them that was transparent and fragile. Inside of the squares were many different lights, all of the same colour. I was a certain colour, a certain temperature, and my only instinct was to take my legion and merge with different entities of different lights and temperatures. There wasn�t any thinking in this �world� beyond the desire for the sight of a new colour, to change my colour and theirs by mixing them together, to be warmer or cooler. When I had everything I needed all of the lights faded away and I died. I was also eaten by that creature; I also just made a child. It was a very strange dream�
    But to conflict what I am saying, a few years ago I fell on the right side of my head; fainted; and was out cold for three hours. I woke up in a huge puddle of blood; was terrified, but stayed very calm. After the ordeal was over, something stuck in my mind� even when I am sleeping I have some sense of time, I�m still �there� in a way. But when I fainted it was if those hours never existed. There wasn�t the darkness of sleep, I felt no passing of time when I woke. It was as if I just� wasn�t even there. No darkness. No light. No emotions at all. And even if that is the end result of all of this, of life it itself. Just a blip� death really won�t be that scary. Because you aren�t even there to be afraid.

As an added note, a lot of the after death experiences people feel and come back from are when a person is actively dying, such as from a disease or illness. I had a coworker who, when he was 15 years old had a fight with his dad in the car and stupidly jumped out going at 45 miles an hour. He was legally pronounced �dead� for a few minutes but they were able to revive him. His story was the same as what happened to me when I fainted. He said, �When your brain dies slowly, you hallucinate, but when you�re traumatically and suddenly pulled into death there isn�t anything there. I was just gone. I don�t really fear death anymore.�
    I kind of get what he means. Everything is speculation until we meet our end.
    Last edited by Banannie; 05-18-2014 at 04:33 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    11h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I say believe whatever you want as long as you don't take it TOO far (hating gay people, murdering abortion surgeons, etc). I mean, personally I am Athiest as I have no reason to believe in God. My parents were kind enough to raise me without religion in the house. But I can understand the appeal of religion. My father's brother passed away when he was younger and it comforts him to believe in a higher power and heaven. Who am I to argue with that?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 times
    Time Online
    2d 12h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    I'm the same way, maybe there is a god, maybe there isn't, and I won't argue that because there is no way to prove it either way

However, evolution is real, there is no arguing that

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    24/0
    Mentioned
    5 times
    Time Online
    11h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    No way to argue it with any validity at least. people have and do try though. Most attempts are quite hilarious.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to brookfang For This Useful Post:

GKBrendan (05-31-2014)