Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 times
    Time Online
    1d 3h 2m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Here's where my research and beliefs have led me (I am an atheist).

We never evolved from monkeys, we have evolved from early homo sapiens, which happened to look ape-like in the past with an extended brow and more hair on their bodies. Thought it is a theory we have a common ancestor, it has never been proven as there is that 'missing link' scientists can't seem to find. Even if they did find it, it doesn't mean we evolved from apes, but rather we had a similar ape-like line of early homo sapiens.

The idea of a conscience that was brought up in the first page is more of a stage of our evolution than something that just happened. We aren't very good predators without each other and our intelligence. I doubt we'd survive as long as we have without hunting in packs and making groups of people that work together to survive. I feel a big step in our evolution was the fact that the smarter of us that could build tools to survive lived while the less intelligent that couldn't learn how died off from starvation.

It also depends on what you mean by a conscience. We know what is right and wrong but even today some people don't care. Another thing said was conscious was similar to instinct. Some of our actions are determined by instinct, some by the consequences that come with the actions we pursue, and some by society's laws. As society changed, so did our morals and values. We weren't always, for example, so critical on pedophilia in our earlier years. In fact, in some places (like Greece) it was encouraged.

I feel like a lot of people who are part of a religion think Evolution is something that happens quickly, like one day an animal is born with wings and that's that. That isn't the case. Animal who adapt their environment in a way that helps them survive are evolving. The easiest to understand example I've come across is an example of butterflies. Let's say you have two different colored butterflies, black and white. They live in a forest but a factory opens up right next to it and pollutes the wood of the trees, turning them from white bark to black soot-covered bark. The white butterflies are going to stand out and get eaten while the black butterflies are going to blend in. Eventually the white butterflies will die out and black butterflies will be the only ones left. The babies will all be black butterflies. Walla, no more white butterflies. The colony of butterflies evolved to survive. Now if an animal is born with a mutation that helps it survive that's a bit more of a leap in evolution and it's a bit random.

I hope I helped someone understand my perspective. If anything I hope I said something that someone here didn't know. xD Spent a lot of time writing this. I don't really care what anyone believes as long as they don't try to force their beliefs on me. Everyone has a right to voice their opinion on a matter that hasn't been proven either way.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Corset For This Useful Post:

♥ Munna ♥ (07-01-2015)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    33/0
    Mentioned
    13 times
    Time Online
    1d 11h 24m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Corset View Post
    Here's where my research and beliefs have led me (I am an atheist).

We never evolved from monkeys, we have evolved from early homo sapiens, which happened to look ape-like in the past with an extended brow and more hair on their bodies. Thought it is a theory we have a common ancestor, it has never been proven as there is that 'missing link' scientists can't seem to find. Even if they did find it, it doesn't mean we evolved from apes, but rather we had a similar ape-like line of early homo sapiens.

The idea of a conscience that was brought up in the first page is more of a stage of our evolution than something that just happened. We aren't very good predators without each other and our intelligence. I doubt we'd survive as long as we have without hunting in packs and making groups of people that work together to survive. I feel a big step in our evolution was the fact that the smarter of us that could build tools to survive lived while the less intelligent that couldn't learn how died off from starvation.

It also depends on what you mean by a conscience. We know what is right and wrong but even today some people don't care. Another thing said was conscious was similar to instinct. Some of our actions are determined by instinct, some by the consequences that come with the actions we pursue, and some by society's laws. As society changed, so did our morals and values. We weren't always, for example, so critical on pedophilia in our earlier years. In fact, in some places (like Greece) it was encouraged.

I feel like a lot of people who are part of a religion think Evolution is something that happens quickly, like one day an animal is born with wings and that's that. That isn't the case. Animal who adapt their environment in a way that helps them survive are evolving. The easiest to understand example I've come across is an example of butterflies. Let's say you have two different colored butterflies, black and white. They live in a forest but a factory opens up right next to it and pollutes the wood of the trees, turning them from white bark to black soot-covered bark. The white butterflies are going to stand out and get eaten while the black butterflies are going to blend in. Eventually the white butterflies will die out and black butterflies will be the only ones left. The babies will all be black butterflies. Walla, no more white butterflies. The colony of butterflies evolved to survive. Now if an animal is born with a mutation that helps it survive that's a bit more of a leap in evolution and it's a bit random.

I hope I helped someone understand my perspective. If anything I hope I said something that someone here didn't know. xD Spent a lot of time writing this. I don't really care what anyone believes as long as they don't try to force their beliefs on me. Everyone has a right to voice their opinion on a matter that hasn't been proven either way.
    I support everything...

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    7/0
    Mentioned
    1 time
    Time Online
    3h 7m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I love science and how they try to explain everything, but I do not believe in evolution. I believe in God, and that he created everything.

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    6 times
    Time Online
    9h 50m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I don't mind your belief in God. I mind that its become such a widespread belief that (ESPECIALLY in rural Alabama, where I live) "We ain't evolve from no damn monkeys!" when that wasn't even what anyone said in the first place -_-
    Again, not particularly against you. Just in general. Like the fact that most people don't understand it wasn't even monkeys. It was apes.

As for a conscience, apes do possess a basic one at least. The can certainly tell right from wrong, communicate to us in OUR language (something we've never been able to do for them), learn basic commands and how to function and do things such as use a bathroom, color, use tools, show affection, feelings, etc. There have also been numerous instances when mother apes and ape-like creatures have protected small animals of other species, showing a basic nurturing instinct. So yes, I do believe it is possible that we shared a common ancestor as apes that have been domesticated have shown remarkable human characteristics.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    127/0
    Mentioned
    54 times
    Time Online
    17d 22h 32m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    I'm with evolution. Fossils and prints are enough proof of that. What we must understand is that we are no "bron from the apes" but we were a completely different species that slowly but steadily made some mutations and ended up how we are now.

It's actually funny how we are now "unevolving" as we no longer look for the best adapted but the one who understands us the best: short, chubby, skinny, weak...

Thanks
    DL/UL
    223/0
    Mentioned
    469 times
    Time Online
    132d 23h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Evolutionism, It's been greatly proven with many scientific evidences.
    And I'm atheist so I can't just imagine how a God simply created "everything"

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    Never
    Time Online
    2h 11m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    EVOLUTION

Pronouns
    he/him
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    112/0
    Mentioned
    125 times
    Time Online
    100d 4h 48m
    Avg. Time Online
    35m
    oh my God too many pages
    I have one word about this question:
    Chardin

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    97/0
    Mentioned
    36 times
    Time Online
    4d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Evolution creationisme is interesting but it isnt for me, i dont believe that god made us cause we are so different

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    58/0
    Mentioned
    43 times
    Time Online
    1d 21h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    EVOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is fun to watch/listen to.

I'm with Bill on this one.
    Last edited by M4S0N1C; 07-01-2015 at 06:16 AM.