10/0
    Mentioned
    240 times
    Time Online
    12d 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m

"I can create a Neanderthal baby"

A scientist has said it would be possible to clone a Neanderthal baby from ancient DNA if he could find a woman willing to act as a surrogate.

The process would not be legal in many countries and would involve using DNA extracted from fossils.

George Church, a genetics professor of Harvard School of Medicine, said that the process was possible and that far from being brutal and primitive, Neanderthals were intelligent beings.

They are believed to be one of the ancestors of modern man and became extinct 33,000 years ago. He added that altering the human genome could also provide the answers to curing diseases such as cancer and HIV, and hold the key to living to 120.

He told Der Spiegel, the German magazine: �I have already managed to attract enough DNA from fossil bones to reconstruct the DNA of the human species largely extinct. Now I need an adventurous female human.�

The professor claims that he could introduce parts of the Neanderthal genome to human stem cells and clone them to create a foetus that could then be implanted in a woman.

(you need an account to see links)

What are your thoughts on this? Would you lend our your womb (if you have one)? Has science gone too far?

I'm all for science and stuff, but that poor baby is going to be experimented on for the rest of its life.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinket For This Useful Post:

zmurd (01-20-2013)