10/0
    Mentioned
    240 times
    Time Online
    12d 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m

"I can create a Neanderthal baby"

A scientist has said it would be possible to clone a Neanderthal baby from ancient DNA if he could find a woman willing to act as a surrogate.

The process would not be legal in many countries and would involve using DNA extracted from fossils.

George Church, a genetics professor of Harvard School of Medicine, said that the process was possible and that far from being brutal and primitive, Neanderthals were intelligent beings.

They are believed to be one of the ancestors of modern man and became extinct 33,000 years ago. He added that altering the human genome could also provide the answers to curing diseases such as cancer and HIV, and hold the key to living to 120.

He told Der Spiegel, the German magazine: �I have already managed to attract enough DNA from fossil bones to reconstruct the DNA of the human species largely extinct. Now I need an adventurous female human.�

The professor claims that he could introduce parts of the Neanderthal genome to human stem cells and clone them to create a foetus that could then be implanted in a woman.

(you need an account to see links)

What are your thoughts on this? Would you lend our your womb (if you have one)? Has science gone too far?

I'm all for science and stuff, but that poor baby is going to be experimented on for the rest of its life.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinket For This Useful Post:

zmurd (01-20-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    369 times
    Time Online
    68d 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    23m

"I can create a Neanderthal baby"

Quote Originally Posted by Trinket View Post

(you need an account to see links)

What are your thoughts on this? Would you lend our your womb (if you have one)? Has science gone too far?

I'm all for science and stuff, but that poor baby is going to be experimented on for the rest of its life.
    I can't even make myself want my own kids let alone a science experiment. I'm not gonna lie and say I wouldn't be curious, but you said it at the end. It's a person, but it wouldn't have a life. They'd be poking and prodding the hell out of it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    We already do animal testing and would be 10% of where we are today, health-wise, without them.

It's a necessary evil, but most professional organizations (eg. Universities) adhere to strict conditions and animal rights to minimize suffering and discomfort for the subject. If any experimenter wants to cross that line, then they'd have to submit an request to the governing board - usually these requests are rejected unless the benefits are absolutely advantageous. Rogue researchers are rare, they risk loss of accreditation and criminal charges otherwise.

You only hear of the abused test subjects in the news, yet many more are actually treated with better care than if they weren't experimented on, or in the wild.

I say if the proposed tests on this neanderthal baby are within acceptable legislation and have a high probability of benefiting humans/science, go for it.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    8d 21h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Would he / she, though? I don't think the neanderthal child would be bothered for more than once every month or so to see what's going on with him. And like Mod said, we test the fuck out of other species, and technically, this isn't a "Human," so why should we extend it the same gratuity we do each other, instead of treating it just as we do other animals in testing? Just a hypothetical question there.

I for one would love to be a living time capsule from 35000 years ago, but that may be obtuse to some people who prefer living the exact same way as the other 7 billion people on the planet. Being conscious of oneself is a gift we have as a race, and if the child were to have it as well, there's no reason to say that the mother is producing nothing more than an experiment.

Pronouns
    minty/fresh
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    54/0
    Mentioned
    1,231 times
    Time Online
    340d 22h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    1h 59m
    Quote Originally Posted by tchaikovsky View Post
    Being conscious of oneself is a gift we have as a race, and if the child were to have it as well, there's no reason to say that the mother is producing nothing more than an experiment.
    This doesn't make sense. If the child grows consciousness of themselves and who they are, that doesn't make them "human"?

Then again, the whole 'what makes a human a person' philosophy is another story

EDIT: oh, never mind, read that wrong, LOL

EDIT #2:
    this isn't a "Human," so why should we extend it the same gratuity we do each other, instead of treating it just as we do other animals in testing
    that contradicts the last line of what you said o3o
    Why would you categorize the neanderthal child with the animals in testing?
    Like you said, if the child grows consciousness of his/herself, it's /not/ an experiment (I'm pretty sure you said that) so why not treat it the same as we do each other?
    Last edited by Maki; 01-20-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    8d 21h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by Mint View Post
    This doesn't make sense. If the child grows consciousness of themselves and who they are, that doesn't make them "human"?

Then again, the whole 'what makes a human a person' philosophy is another story
    Because if the child was self aware, then we wouldn't experiment on the child as we do other animals, and they would grow to be a functioning, albeit unique, living person. One of the questions posed was whether it would be good or bad to foster and birth nothing more than an experiment.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    1,100 times
    Time Online
    43d 11h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    [9/3/12 11:11:58 PM] Joanna: sigh
    [9/3/12 11:12:14 PM] Joanna: john
    [9/3/12 11:12:16 PM] Joanna: is
    [9/3/12 11:12:17 PM] Joanna: perfect

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    25/0
    Mentioned
    164 times
    Time Online
    15d 11h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    If someone could prove that this would indeed be beneficial, I would be all for this. If I had a womb to use for this, I certainly would. Then again, I feel that things we typically use animals for testing, which are intended for end-use by a human, should also be tested on humans before the final product is released to the general public. If there was enough evidence that creating this neanderthal baby would indeed benefit the rest of humanity in some way, go for it. You've got to break some "eggs" to make an "omelet."