1/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    18d 16h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    @(you need an account to see links)

I definitely agree that men have their own share of issues as well, and they're certainly no less important than women's issues. Domestic abuse is wrong no matter who the perpetrator is. But you only reiterated my point - that even though the society has improved a lot, there are still things that could be improved upon with regards to society's perceptions of women. Why is it that men who are feminine are frowned upon if not for the fact that women are traditionally viewed as weaker both in mind and in body? Why is it that men are laughed at for being sissies? I imagine some guys may even be ashamed to report that they're being abused by their spouses because they might be ridiculed for being weak, among other reasons. And both men and women are of course negatively judged for the lack of muscularity or curviness of their bodies, to be sure - neither of which is fair or tasteful. But that still doesn't change the fact that women are forbidden from showing their nipples while men are allowed to because the bodies of women are so much more sexualized.

I don't think it's wrong for a guy to be sensitive or emotional when he wants to be and not be judged for being less of a man, either. There is sexism on both ends there, but both seem to be rooted in the perception of sensitivity as a female quality that is apparently undesirable.

Certainly there is potential for discrimination in the legal system with regards to parental rights to children, but I've known mothers who've lost custody battles to fathers as well. I've had many friends with single fathers.

I can see where you're coming from, though. Either way, we both want the same goal - equality - to be achieved in the end, and that's something we can both agree on.
    Last edited by Daenery; 06-24-2013 at 11:06 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daenery For This Useful Post:

Whispers (06-25-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    4d 8h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m

Just my two cents on this: one person, like yourself, is smart, and can see the issues at hand and why they're wrong; society as whole is stupid and changes very slowly. That's why there are such huge issues such a gender disparity and other issues such as gay marriage, marijuana(and other drug) use, etc. And unfortunately, if you look at history, equality is VERY hard to come by. In the past century, it's been mostly racial and sex issues, but recently, gay marriage and people being gay has been a huge issue with people, and there is ALWAYS progress. However, what's next is unbeknownst to you or anybody, but society will find something to hate. This is a very pessimistic and cynical point of view, I admit, but it's sadly human nature to hate on people who are in a lesser group, and who society at the time deems lesser.

As Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister, I'm sure you know what that is ) says: "Dwarves are still the butt of jokes. It's one of the last bastions of acceptable prejudice". Sad, but true. Also, there are tons of nationalistic and racist jokes out there that people say because EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE JOKING, people still believe parts of those jokes. I think that's why LouisC.K. is so popular, but anyways, I digress. Society is stupid, and there will always be inequality somewhere, even in our supposedly civilized lives.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    18d 16h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post

Just my two cents on this: one person, like yourself, is smart, and can see the issues at hand and why they're wrong; society as whole is stupid and changes very slowly. That's why there are such huge issues such a gender disparity and other issues such as gay marriage, marijuana(and other drug) use, etc. And unfortunately, if you look at history, equality is VERY hard to come by. In the past century, it's been mostly racial and sex issues, but recently, gay marriage and people being gay has been a huge issue with people, and there is ALWAYS progress. However, what's next is unbeknownst to you or anybody, but society will find something to hate. This is a very pessimistic and cynical point of view, I admit, but it's sadly human nature to hate on people who are in a lesser group, and who society at the time deems lesser.

As Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister, I'm sure you know what that is ) says: "Dwarves are still the butt of jokes. It's one of the last bastions of acceptable prejudice". Sad, but true. Also, there are tons of nationalistic and racist jokes out there that people say because EVEN THOUGH THEY'RE JOKING, people still believe parts of those jokes. I think that's why LouisC.K. is so popular, but anyways, I digress. Society is stupid, and there will always be inequality somewhere, even in our supposedly civilized lives.
    Thanks, and I agree - in a world filled with such a variety of different people, traditions, opinions, and cultures it's impossible we'll ever achieve a pinnacle of utopian equality that conforms to everyone's standards. But that doesn't mean we should stagnate and just let things be because "that's the way people are" - there'd be no progress if people didn't talk about these issues and took it for granted that society would just improve itself after a while. Obviously I don't go around preaching my opinions on the flaws of society all the time, but I think it's alright to have a civil discussion about things like this when the issue comes up just to bring up points that others may not have considered before, and likewise to experience viewpoints that I myself hadn't considered yet. Call it social introspection, I guess. Feminism, the gay rights movement, even the right to religion - all of these are rooted in the basic human right to freely express themselves and live the way they want as long as they're not interfering with another person's right to the same thing, so of course issues that infringe upon this basic human right will be addressed throughout human history as more people muster the courage to take a stand. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, yeah?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daenery For This Useful Post:

Whispers (06-25-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    4d 8h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Daenerys View Post
    Thanks, and I agree - in a world filled with such a variety of different people, traditions, opinions, and cultures it's impossible we'll ever achieve a pinnacle of utopian equality that conforms to everyone's standards. But that doesn't mean we should stagnate and just let things be because "that's the way people are" - there'd be no progress if people didn't talk about these issues and took it for granted that society would just improve itself after a while. Obviously I don't go around preaching my opinions on the flaws of society all the time, but I think it's alright to have a civil discussion about things like this when the issue comes up just to bring up points that others may not have considered before, and likewise to experience viewpoints that I myself hadn't considered yet. Call it social introspection, I guess. Feminism, the gay rights movement, even the right to religion - all of these are rooted in the basic human right to freely express themselves and live the way they want as long as they're not interfering with another person's right to the same thing, so of course issues that infringe upon this basic human right will be addressed throughout human history as more people muster the courage to take a stand. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, yeah?
    Fair enough! I agree with you on that aspect, change WILL happen, I was just remarking on the futility of it all. But I guess it isn't futile, is it? It improves the lives of the people of the here and now. Anyways, I haven't personally seen many of these issues first hand, just throughout the world. Living in Canada grants a lot of freedoms that the rest of the world and even America don't grant people. Even so, on the topic of gender equality, while I agree there are issues between the two sexes, I don't believe fighting for female rights just by itself is the right thing to do, ya know? As a guy, I don't wanna come off as misogynistic, but whenever I see some feminists rant about the unfairness in life, a lot of the time they are complete hypocrites who still expect chivalry, for example. Also, there is the fact that women ARE different than men, both physically and mentally, so absolute equality isn't gonna happen. All that being said, at least here in Canada, there ARE laws in place that allow women to sue if they are getting unfairly paid and it has happened and they did win, and got their pay back. So, I dunno, I'm slightly buzzed right now and ranted a bunch, but I hate feminists cuz a lot of em are hypocrites, but I love equal rights, and will endorse them for everybody(actually thats false, I don't believe in cannabalism, pedos, murderers, really anything against the law that people do), even though society is stupid.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Thunder For This Useful Post:

Whispers (06-25-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    18d 16h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Even so, on the topic of gender equality, while I agree there are issues between the two sexes, I don't believe fighting for female rights just by itself is the right thing to do, ya know? As a guy, I don't wanna come off as misogynistic, but whenever I see some feminists rant about the unfairness in life, a lot of the time they are complete hypocrites who still expect chivalry, for example. Also, there is the fact that women ARE different than men, both physically and mentally, so absolute equality isn't gonna happen. All that being said, at least here in Canada, there ARE laws in place that allow women to sue if they are getting unfairly paid and it has happened and they did win, and got their pay back.
    I suppose you just have an issue with the inclusion of the word "feminine" in "feminism" as opposed to the non-gendered "equalism", heh. It's an issue of semantics, like I mentioned before. I still think there are certain issues that women face that do not have a male equivalent, so I don't think having a word that encompasses these issues is invalid.

That said, I've never even really considered myself a feminist - I just think it's a little generalizing to hate all people who support it based on the actions of a misguided few, and I've seen a lot of that same negative stigma associated with being a feminist that tends to gloss over the real issues which is why I thought I'd speak up about it. There are plenty of guys who are self-proclaimed feminists as well. Personally I find it awkward when a guy tries to be chivalrous, and all movements have their hypocrites - but it still doesn't negate the fact there are still issues that involve the sexualization of womens' bodies and, say, the tendency of female politicians to be judged more harshly for what they wear than men.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    22/0
    Mentioned
    18 times
    Time Online
    4d 8h 17m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by Daenerys View Post
    I suppose you just have an issue with the inclusion of the word "feminine" in "feminism" as opposed to the non-gendered "equalism", heh. It's an issue of semantics, like I mentioned before. I still think there are certain issues that women face that do not have a male equivalent, so I don't think having a word that encompasses these issues is invalid.

That said, I've never even really considered myself a feminist - I just think it's a little generalizing to hate all people who support it based on the actions of a misguided few, and I've seen a lot of that same negative stigma associated with being a feminist that tends to gloss over the real issues which is why I thought I'd speak up about it. There are plenty of guys who are self-proclaimed feminists as well. Personally I find it awkward when a guy tries to be chivalrous, and all movements have their hypocrites - but it still doesn't negate the fact there are still issues that involve the sexualization of womens' bodies and, say, the tendency of female politicians to be judged more harshly for what they wear than men.
    Yeah, that's all very true. However, the loudest are most usually the most ignorant of what they actually believe in, so there's that. I respect anybody who is fighting for equality, not the ability to always be in power like some feminists do. And while I do agree with you that females are definitely looked at more sexually in public, there is the harsh reality that pop culture, specifically music and movies, really advances those beliefs. Now I guess one could say that boils down to the sexualization of women being okay in today's society, which I agree could be lessened (I don't respect anybody who has to seduce with mainly their looks. Looks play a role with initial attraction, but afterwards, nah). However, the fact is, I am friends with many females, and they ALL objectify 'hot' males in pop culture as well. That road is not a one way thing. As for politicians, I can't comment as I haven't seen anything on it, though I have no doubt there are a few on some american politicians who quite frankly use it to their advantage.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Thunder For This Useful Post:

Whispers (06-25-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    9/0
    Mentioned
    183 times
    Time Online
    80d 15h 10m
    Avg. Time Online
    29m
    I'm agnostic--meaning I believe in the definite possibility of there being a god/afterlife, but do not think that there is any way to be certain of it. I believe that you should just aspire to do your best in life and treat others well; whether this will be rewarded or not later on is one big mystery.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    18d 16h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Yeah, that's all very true. However, the loudest are most usually the most ignorant of what they actually believe in, so there's that. I respect anybody who is fighting for equality, not the ability to always be in power like some feminists do. And while I do agree with you that females are definitely looked at more sexually in public, there is the harsh reality that pop culture, specifically music and movies, really advances those beliefs. Now I guess one could say that boils down to the sexualization of women being okay in today's society, which I agree could be lessened (I don't respect anybody who has to seduce with mainly their looks. Looks play a role with initial attraction, but afterwards, nah). However, the fact is, I am friends with many females, and they ALL objectify 'hot' males in pop culture as well. That road is not a one way thing. As for politicians, I can't comment as I haven't seen anything on it, though I have no doubt there are a few on some american politicians who quite frankly use it to their advantage.
    Not quite sure what you're referring to about the loudest being most ignorant.
    Yes, both men and women can be objectified by the opposite party - but it still doesn't change the fact that breastfeeding women still often have to deal with rude remarks because a woman baring a nipple is somehow infinitely worse than a man bearing his, and that a woman baring a nipple can be arrested because it is illegal due to the sexualization of that part of their body.

I'd say it's less than fair for a woman to be judged by their looks during a campaign because she is there to intellectually prove why she is capable of representing her state (or, indeed, her country) and not to make a fashion statement. It's often the media that chooses to emphasize the way they dress as well, which still reflects how some of society still tends to think of women. It's not like Hillary Clinton put on slinky dresses to attract male voters, if that's what you're implying, heh.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    187 times
    Time Online
    31d 22h 40m
    Avg. Time Online
    11m

This video kinda sum up alot of my beliefs in Jesus, and no it does not fulfill my needs but his stupid and corny sayings kinda got alot of points across in my head. I will survive and by faith and grace alone, and not of my own of God has for me because if it was up to me I would have none of the above. I would classify my self as a disciple of Christ, not just because I'm christian but because Im trying to walk in the foot steps of Christ, and I know I fail him every single day in thousands of ways but I know that he has got me because without him I'm not me. That is why I dont swear, I dont drink, I wont be having sex until marriage and much more. Its not to say that he wont love you if you do any of these things because he will, but it is my personal choice and belief that I neeeeed to put my self as close as I can to god to fully experience his love and thats why I try to take foot steps that look like his. I know for a fact that many people will judge me for the way I am and thats okay, sure the bible says that but everyone who is against me is just living proof. I also believe that having a relationship with Jesus is something much more than just going to church everyday or just accepting him into your life, but having him run my entire life is why I pray because if I am not constantly connected I am falling away because Jesus knows the way. As for the facts I feel there is almost nothing that is 100% solid fact in life and that anything you do will require some sort of faith, and I know I have my struggles but in the end they dont matter because I have someone to light my way.

I apologize if this offends anyone in any way but this is who i am and i wont be changing, and i respect all of your beliefs

I also apologize for kinda doing an injustice to everything because i know for a fact i could never sum Jesus or God up in any type of way but I gave a nice valid attempt at 4 am haha

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    257 times
    Time Online
    18d 16h 52m
    Avg. Time Online
    6m
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenis View Post

This video kinda sum up alot of my beliefs in Jesus, and no it does not fulfill my needs but his stupid and corny sayings kinda got alot of points across in my head. I will survive and by faith and grace alone, and not of my own of God has for me because if it was up to me I would have none of the above. I would classify my self as a disciple of Christ, not just because I'm christian but because Im trying to walk in the foot steps of Christ, and I know I fail him every single day in thousands of ways but I know that he has got me because without him I'm not me. That is why I dont swear, I dont drink, I wont be having sex until marriage and much more. Its not to say that he wont love you if you do any of these things because he will, but it is my personal choice and belief that I neeeeed to put my self as close as I can to god to fully experience his love and thats why I try to take foot steps that look like his. I know for a fact that many people will judge me for the way I am and thats okay, sure the bible says that but everyone who is against me is just living proof. I also believe that having a relationship with Jesus is something much more than just going to church everyday or just accepting him into your life, but having him run my entire life is why I pray because if I am not constantly connected I am falling away because Jesus knows the way. As for the facts I feel there is almost nothing that is 100% solid fact in life and that anything you do will require some sort of faith, and I know I have my struggles but in the end they dont matter because I have someone to light my way.

I apologize if this offends anyone in any way but this is who i am and i wont be changing, and i respect all of your beliefs

I also apologize for kinda doing an injustice to everything because i know for a fact i could never sum Jesus or God up in any type of way but I gave a nice valid attempt at 4 am haha
    There's no need to apologize at all for believing in what you do, no one should ask you to change I'm not a Christian, but like I said earlier in this thread I'd never judge someone for having faith in something. If you feel like it is Jesus who guides you positively through life then that's great, there's nothing wrong with that.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Daenery For This Useful Post:

Whispers (06-25-2013)