Thread: I dont think I like my friend anymore...

Hybrid View

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    37/0
    Mentioned
    114 times
    Time Online
    36d 19h 35m
    Avg. Time Online
    12m

I dont think I like my friend anymore...

Hes been my best friend since Pre-k(we're in 8th grade now), but now hes starting to act like a jerk. He gets lots of cool stuff because he is an only child, while I dont get as much cool stuff(3 siblings) but still get cool stuff. When I get cooler things than him(like iPhone 4 back in 2011, or Beats Studios back in Summer 12) he feels like he has to match me, or get better things and then rub them in my face. Just today he was like: I just got the iPhone 5 and then he kept pulling it out at random times and not even looking at it. Also, when I got my studios(beats) he returned his solo HDs and bought Studios also and tried to copy my color, but luckily I stopped him. Its annoying when he tries to be beat me at lots of things.
    He also wears elites(the basketball socks) on casual expenditures like going to a friends house because he tries to act cool(Swag/hipster and whatnot), when he doesnt even play basketball and when he does he always misses the basket. He doesnt even play sports(If he tried to run a 100 meter dash he probably would be breathing really hard at the end, not because he was going really fast) Also, just today I let him beat me at pool and then he started telling everyone he saw(like 2 people): "I beat Daniel at pool. He was so easy to beat." Which really aggravated me because he cant really beat me at anything except some computer games he practices on.
    And to make matters worse, he told me Neopets is for losers and Black Ops 2 is where its at. I told him they were both video games and he was like "Only middle-aged men play Neopets" and continued on to say "Neopets is crap". He refused to listen to logic(Logic=Black Ops 2 is also played by some middle-aged men), and really got on my nerves until I didnt talk to him and just let him play with my brother.
    Should I still be friends with him?

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Well, have you told him that his actions piss you off and had a discussion? It would be a shame to end a friendship that old, maybe he'll stop if you tell him.

But if he doesn't stop, then accept the fact that he's no longer a good friend and you should move on.

People change, this is often the case in Jr. High (or Middle school, dep. where you live), puberty as one reason. Around your age, everyone begins to diverge and find their own identities and interests, leaving behind old friends, and finding new ones that are more like themselves. Friends and former friends will only segregate further in High School, you'll soon see.

To me, it sounds like you've got a humble character, while he's developing an ego and needing to be known.

In my experience, I had a few friends in Elementary school that I was real tight with, all our interests were the same. Then Jr. High came and we still tried to hang out, but found our interests began to differ and I didn't like the people they were associating with, vice-versa. When High school finally rolled in, we stopped talking, even when passing in hallways, our friend groups were completely opposite. I would have been miserable if I tried to stay friends with them; friends are supposed to make you happy and comfortable, not piss you off or give you unease.

For whether you should still be friends with him, the choice is yours. Tell him your gripes, if he doesn't change or mocks you for being a "bitch", then it's time you found new friends more like you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

Flame (01-06-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    8d 21h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    I'd end the friendship, if it were me, solely on the principle that a true friend of mine wouldn't go around bad-mouthing me to everyone they knew.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tchaikovsky For This Useful Post:

DarkAngel (01-07-2013),Flame (01-06-2013)

~*~ Kylae's BFF #1 ~*~
    Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    219 times
    Time Online
    21h 9m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    I don't necessarily think he's egotistical, I really think maybe he has some sort of inferiority complex. That might be what renders him so desperate for a feeling of accomplishment, which he's pretty clearly trying to acquire by continuous competition with you. Comparing himself to you is the easiest way for him to chase that sense of "superiority," and in all honesty, you're probably not the only person he compares himself to. I feel more for him than for you, really. Sounds like he has some issues he hasn't been telling you about.
    Next time he's showing something off, take the mature route and pay him a compliment. Put your own ego aside, and don't perceive his actions as aggressive; maybe just ask him what's wrong. Act like the best friend you're supposed to be.

But, hey, I don't really know him or you, so maybe I'm totally off base. End the friendship if you think I'm wrong, but people don't usually just change like this without having some very good reason to.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinkie For This Useful Post:

DarkAngel (01-07-2013),Flame (01-06-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/0
    Mentioned
    222 times
    Time Online
    57d 11h 31m
    Avg. Time Online
    19m
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkie View Post
    I really think maybe he has some sort of inferiority complex.
    ^ This.

Maybe he believes you're too high, and he feels the need of being better than you because, for him, you're at top and someone to beat.

Just tell him you don't like the way he has been acting. If he doesn't changes it, just let him go cause he's not anymore your friend.
    If he still appreciates your friendship, will eventually change.
    Selling Almost Any NC item!

Selling Balthazars Bag of Bottled Faeries - $150

Selling SEVERAL EPIC Main Accounts and Robotification Zappermajigs!!

Custom NeoPoint Orders? PM me!
    Selling Shells, $2 each :3

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    1,100 times
    Time Online
    43d 11h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Pretty standard personal issues. As always; roundhouse his nose in!

hope i helped
    [9/3/12 11:11:58 PM] Joanna: sigh
    [9/3/12 11:12:14 PM] Joanna: john
    [9/3/12 11:12:16 PM] Joanna: is
    [9/3/12 11:12:17 PM] Joanna: perfect

10. The Following User Says Thank You to John For This Useful Post:

Flame (01-06-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    19/0
    Mentioned
    61 times
    Time Online
    8d 21h 18m
    Avg. Time Online
    3m
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Pretty standard personal issues. As always; roundhouse his nose in!

hope i helped
    John giving out sound advice as always. Roundhouse kicks are relevant in any situation, you know.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    10/0
    Mentioned
    240 times
    Time Online
    12d 20m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Be blunt about your feelings. It would be a shame to lose a friend you've known for so long -- then again, I was in the same situation with a friend I've known since I was little, and we ended our friendship a few months ago. If he continues to behave like a prat, well...he's just not worth the hassle.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    3/0
    Mentioned
    7 times
    Time Online
    2d 21h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    i grew apart my best friend from when i was just a baby and she basically made me feel like dirt for reasons that would take forever to explain. but i take solace in the fact that she has a really fugly hair cut now and likes it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kate For This Useful Post:

Toasted (01-07-2013)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    16/0
    Mentioned
    467 times
    Time Online
    29d 9h 6m
    Avg. Time Online
    10m
    Quote Originally Posted by kate View Post
    i grew apart my best friend from when i was just a baby and she basically made me feel like dirt for reasons that would take forever to explain. but i take solace in the fact that she has a really fugly hair cut now and likes it.
    ^ Lol'd.

I agree with everyone here-- even John.
    Either it'll work out and he'll understand....or you can tell him you're not friends anymore and give'em a good ol' kick to the head.