1/0
    Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m

[Checklist] A first timer�s guide to buying a UC

Buying a UC can be a fun experience; getting to look at the names of pets, seeing the color and species combo you like, just until you find the pet you just have to take home! But for someone who’s doing this for the first time, it can be quite confusing. I noticed there have been an influx of new people looking to buy uc's, and with this guide, hopefully we can ease you and make you feel more secure about buying your first UC.

1.Know what you want, and what you want to spend
    It’s easier to venture out into buying a UC, if you know what you’d like to buy and what your limits are. It’s quite easy to just be sucked into buying *that cute pet*, but do you really want it? Just buying a UC for re-trading purposes, especially on your first purchase can be a risky move. Consider this:

•Do you have time to make the UC cache, and look legit on the PC? Making a legit cache can take weeks.

•You *may* get called out while trying to trade the pet, because the name is more “out there”.

•If the trade is done improperly, the trade could get reversed and you most likely iced.

•By the time your pet caches, the pet you want to trade for may not be UFT anymore.

•You could be stuck with the UC for a while before getting a trade you’re happy with.

By just buying the pet you want in the first place, it will save not only time but heartbreak and stress from trying to trade.

2.Learn the Seller’s terminology
    Reading someone’s thread, you might know some of the acronyms: WN, BD, UC P/R/D/K. but then, there are others that are not so known: Active, inactive, secured & illegit for example. Knowing what these mean is extremely important, so you know what you’re getting. Here is a basic rundown:

•Active: Active can mean many things, make sure to clear this up with your seller. But in general when someone refers to a uc on an “active” account, it means that the person has no knowledge that someone else is accessing their account. Not recommended if you would like to buy the UC to keep.

•Inactive: Basically means that the person has abandoned their account and any possessions on it. They will most likely not come back. These are the ones that the majority buy, but please make sure to ask your seller how long they were- Some pets could be “inactive” but last seen 250 days ago, etc. Look for a pet that was last seen long long ago-that means at least a year, but usually more. A good indicator of how inactive a pet is would be cache (so you can confirm a pet is extremely inactive) or if the account it comes on has site even trophies, usually dating from far back.

•Secured: Can go a couple of ways. Secured can mean taken off an active/semi active and left to rot on a shell until it’s deemed safe to sell as an inactive, or a pet that was taken off an inactive and continued to let rot.

•Illeigit: Basically an item or pet gained by methods not approved by TNT, and against the rules. Don’t let this put you off though, if the seller says it’s “Illegit, but last seen long long ago and safe.” The pet is fine!

All in all, these are the most common terms exclusive to cheating sites and buying pets. Many sellers are patient and kind when it comes to buyers, so if you have a question, don’t be afraid to PM them.

3.Buying a “Legit” pet won’t necessarily keep you safe

The one thing I always see people try to do is to buy a “legit” Neopet, because of the assumption that it will keep you safer. Not necessarily true. First off, what’s going to prevent someone from lying about the legitimacy of that pet? Unless the pet was made pre conversion (and even then someone may have bought the NP or PB to make that pet), or a legitimately traded pet with someone else who is 100% known to be legit, it doesn’t mean much.
    Once you buy the pet, it’s deemed illegit once the money and the pet changes hands.

There is also the possibility of even if a pet is truly 100% legit, that person may have friends that noticed that the pet suddenly moved one day, and the pet may be reported and the transfer reversed. Best bet is to look for an extremely inactive pet as there are MUCH more inactive pets vs legit pets, or even a pet that was previously traded for on the PC a long time ago, if it makes you feel better and you have an account that's good looking.

4.Make sure to trust who you’re buying from

A bit more of common sense, but make sure to stick to your gut feeling when buying! I know sometimes people can get caught up when they see someone selling a pet at a really good price, but remember the old saying: “If it’s too good to be true, it is.” My first time buying I bought from someone just because it seemed like a good deal and I was a bit too trusting. I ended up getting iced a week later! If in your mind you think ANYTHING is suspicious, you do not need to go through with the trade. It will save a lot of sadness in case a trade goes awry. For the first time buyer, I would go to a moderator (Bettser, Drizzy ,I_Royalty_I, Kylae). They are always here to help, and they won’t scam you. (I hope)

Side note; If you do get yourself into a situation and feel uncomfortable, report them to a mod. Remember, they are here to help you! Feel free to contact them if you have any suspicions or concerns. Leaving them a private message is your best bet.

5.Seller to buyer decency
    One of the more unsaid rules, but take common courtesy into account. For example, if you’re interested in a pet and ask for the name straight out, you may not get it as this is a safety measure to both the seller and the possible buyer. The name getting out fewer times, the better. Don’t be offended if you don’t get the name, or asked to pay first.

^dont be like that luser

This also applies for when you pay for the pet. Most sellers take PayPal, but for people who are new/ don’t have an established reputation, they may ask you to pay via Moneypak or some other common non-paypal method, to avoid getting chargebacks. Again, do not get offended! If you cannot do these methods, either tell the seller and see if you can work out something, or do the trade with another person. Make sure to reply to the seller that you’re not interested anymore!

6. Co-operate with your seller
    The number one thing to make a trade go smoothly is to not be a pushover, but to cooperate with your seller. For example, if you offer on a pet, but the seller puts your offer as an HB, do NOT get offended - they are not looking to string you along. You have to consider that the seller is trying to get the most because its either their job, or they came into financial distress and need all the money they can get.

On the other hand, however, do NOT feel pressured into buying a pet you don’t want, or to do something you don’t feel comfortable with. You deserve the same amount of respect you give, and if the situation gets out of control, step back and contact a mod about it.

Be sure to take into consideration that your overall actions directly relate to the safety of your Neopets and clraik account, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have fun! With a bit of common sense and help from the mods, everything should run smoothly and you'll be happy with your new pet in no time.
    Last edited by simmie; 06-06-2014 at 07:08 AM.

2. The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to simmie For This Useful Post:

Aiven (06-25-2014),Allegra (06-05-2014),Allem (06-06-2014),bittersweet (06-06-2014),Buizel (06-19-2014),Charizard (06-19-2014),Corliss (08-31-2014),Cub (06-05-2014),Dude (06-05-2014),Faerie (07-13-2014),Flor (06-06-2014),Glossly (06-05-2014),Ilere (11-10-2014),inferno (06-06-2014),Jager (06-11-2014),jamary (08-08-2014),korrae (06-05-2014),Lindsay (11-10-2014),maleficent (06-05-2014),Mindfang (06-19-2014),moonsugar (09-01-2014),♥ Munna ♥ (06-21-2014),Neal Caffrey (06-11-2014),Nixx (09-29-2015),P h o e n i x (06-06-2014),parakeet (06-05-2014),pinkpain (02-07-2019),Poem (06-05-2014),Q*bert (06-12-2014),Raj (06-05-2014),Sakuras (06-05-2014),Saria (06-06-2014),Sinnamoon (08-09-2014),Skarl (06-19-2014),trailerfish (08-10-2014),Valent (06-05-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    11 times
    Time Online
    1d 8h 30m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    here's to hoping this helps to prevent new users from being scammed!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to maleficent For This Useful Post:

simmie (06-05-2014)

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    416 times
    Time Online
    50d 2h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub View Post
    not my fault u pm people demanding for information

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    416 times
    Time Online
    50d 2h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmie View Post
    not my fault u pm people demanding for information

o ya i just buy sooooo many uc's

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub View Post
    o ya i just buy sooooo many uc's
    i bet u leak all the names of the ucs to ur pc police friends ;~;
    ya
    im calling u out

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    13/0
    Mentioned
    416 times
    Time Online
    50d 2h 28m
    Avg. Time Online
    17m
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmie View Post
    i bet u leak all the names of the ucs to ur pc police friends ;~;
    ya
    im calling u out
    sob ;~;

im crying bc of u

Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    72 times
    Time Online
    6d 10h 58m
    Avg. Time Online
    2m
    Good guide. Will use this when/if I buy a UC

11. The Following User Says Thank You to luv4ever For This Useful Post:

simmie (06-09-2014)

Thanks
    DL/UL
    1/0
    Mentioned
    831 times
    Time Online
    109d 7h 37m
    Avg. Time Online
    37m
    glad it was of use <3

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    59/0
    Mentioned
    115 times
    Time Online
    14d 9h 19m
    Avg. Time Online
    4m
    Great guide ladies, I shall be repping you both
    I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy,
    the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world.
    J A G E R