18/0
    Mentioned
    30 times
    Time Online
    5d 9h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    You live in China now? Whereabouts? I'm visiting in 3 months.
    Yes, for about 6 years now. Guangxi. Where are you going? For how long? Why?
    If my post helped please send $2,000,000 via PayPal!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    1,100 times
    Time Online
    43d 11h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    Yes, for about 6 years now. Guangxi. Where are you going? For how long? Why?
    Going for vaca, no particular reason. Also doing India and Seoul on the same trip. We are doing shanghai, bejiing, and one other city for which the name is escaping me.
    [9/3/12 11:11:58 PM] Joanna: sigh
    [9/3/12 11:12:14 PM] Joanna: john
    [9/3/12 11:12:16 PM] Joanna: is
    [9/3/12 11:12:17 PM] Joanna: perfect

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    30 times
    Time Online
    5d 9h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Going for vaca, no particular reason. Also doing India and Seoul on the same trip. We are doing shanghai, bejiing, and one other city for which the name is escaping me.
    Of which the closest is about 30 hours from here by train.

How long will you be in China?

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    1,100 times
    Time Online
    43d 11h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Of which the closest is about 30 hours from here by train.

How long will you be in China?
    about 2 weeks, then a short week in india and a few days in seoul

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    30 times
    Time Online
    5d 9h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    about 2 weeks, then a short week in india and a few days in seoul
    Advice:
    Always carry tissue paper, most toilets don't supply any. Hotels and expensive/foreign restaurants are often an exception to this.
    If you meet art/English students who want to take you to a tea house or show you their art, avoid it, the tea will most often amount to several thousand US dollars. AKA, Tea Scam.
    Any place you will most likely go shopping and has many foreigners is very expensive. Most foreigners go there and barter... Even their final price, which the foreigners think is good I'd never pay.
    If you see scorpions and start fish on sticks on a particular street, this is not what Chinese eat (none I've met) and is mainly put there for foreigners sake. My Chinese friends all think that stuff is weird and a little gross.
    Chicken heart on the other hand can be quite nice when cooked properly, but I never saw that there.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    1,100 times
    Time Online
    43d 11h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Advice:
    Always carry tissue paper, most toilets don't supply any. Hotels and expensive/foreign restaurants are often an exception to this.
    If you meet art/English students who want to take you to a tea house or show you their art, avoid it, the tea will most often amount to several thousand US dollars. AKA, Tea Scam.
    Any place you will most likely go shopping and has many foreigners is very expensive. Most foreigners go there and barter... Even their final price, which the foreigners think is good I'd never pay.
    If you see scorpions and start fish on sticks on a particular street, this is not what Chinese eat (none I've met) and is mainly put there for foreigners sake. My Chinese friends all think that stuff is weird and a little gross.
    Chicken heart on the other hand can be quite nice when cooked properly, but I never saw that there.
    Thanks! I intend to be in pretty touristy hotels and such so the tp thing probably won't be too much of an issue, but i will keep it in mind anyway for sure! All the others are really helpful thanks!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    30 times
    Time Online
    5d 9h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Thanks! I intend to be in pretty touristy hotels and such so the tp thing probably won't be too much of an issue, but i will keep it in mind anyway for sure! All the others are really helpful thanks!
    Oh, and you might get a lil sick, it's not so much about bad food, more about your system adapting to the Chinese environment. Now after being in China for 6 years, I almost never get sick at all, guess I built up some immunities to the common bugs here. The same as you would have built them up to common <your country> bugs. It's pretty normal, so don't get to stressed and think you ate something really bad.

When you're out and about, it pays to have that tissue paper on hand. Since I hope you'll not spend all your time in the hotel rooms.
    Don't drink tap water, either drink bottled water or boiled water.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    34/0
    Mentioned
    315 times
    Time Online
    49d 2h 15m
    Avg. Time Online
    16m
    Now that I think about it my goal in life is to take my mom to Hawaii. She has always wanted to go but financially it is simply not an option and never has been so hopefully I can take her on that trip one day.

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    6/0
    Mentioned
    1,100 times
    Time Online
    43d 11h 54m
    Avg. Time Online
    14m
    Oh, and you might get a lil sick, it's not so much about bad food, more about your system adapting to the Chinese environment. Now after being in China for 6 years, I almost never get sick at all, guess I built up some immunities to the common bugs here. The same as you would have built them up to common <your country> bugs. It's pretty normal, so don't get to stressed and think you ate something really bad.

When you're out and about, it pays to have that tissue paper on hand. Since I hope you'll not spend all your time in the hotel rooms.
    Don't drink tap water, either drink bottled water or boiled water.
    Thanks. I'm pretty much expecting to get sick between China and India, so that won't be a shocker. Good call on the toilet paper though i guess i will keep some on hand. And yeah, the water thing is pretty standard for a lot of travel, the hard part is avoiding the things that contact unboiled water.

Userbars
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1,368 times
    Time Online
    131d 12h 4m
    Avg. Time Online
    45m
    Thanks. I'm pretty much expecting to get sick between China and India, so that won't be a shocker. Good call on the toilet paper though i guess i will keep some on hand. And yeah, the water thing is pretty standard for a lot of travel, the hard part is avoiding the things that contact unboiled water.
    If I may butt in, you don't have to carry a roll of tp with you unless you want to. Everyone there carries those folded 10-packs of tissue, for wiping noses, and wiping butts. But the local brands are a lot thicker and tougher, so you may want to buy some there if you want to be discrete or not have a backpack/bag on you.

Always carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer and try to go before you leave the hotel (or anywhere with maintained restrooms). The public restrooms there are often disgusting, just from the sheer number of people that use them, otherwise they're all cloudy and hazy because people hide in there to smoke. And yeah, the restroom keepers often can't keep up in time, so tp (if offered), and soap may be out.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod For This Useful Post:

John (12-15-2012)