32/3
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    17d 12h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    @(you need an account to see links)
    I have thought about running a PHP bot on a free host that support PHP before. But I have never tried it.
    I wonder if it will work because the free host might have certain limitations. For example daily, or weekly or monthly bandwidth.
    If you ever try it, tell me how it goes :p
    Last edited by damian002; 12-14-2012 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Grammar! +2 points

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    18/0
    Mentioned
    30 times
    Time Online
    5d 9h 44m
    Avg. Time Online
    1m
    Quote Originally Posted by damian002 View Post
    @(you need an account to see links)
    I have thought about running a PHP bot on a free host that support PHP before. But I have never tried it.
    I wonder if it will work because the free host might have certain limitations. For example daily, or weekly or monthly bandwidth.
    If you ever try it, tell me how it goes :p
    I've never used a free host, even the shared ones usually have limits of 30s per script execution, which means your script can't require that amount of time, or that you need to break it down into edible bites.

Bandwidth I've never had an issue with.

If you remember NeoAcademy, half the code on there was automated, I worked with them on it, the AltadorPlot solver was mine, and so was the daily crossword thingy, which logged in and downloaded the puzzle, solved it and posted 1 click links, sometimes there were ones which couldn't be solved automatically, and those had to be entered into a form for moderators to answer.

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by raredaredevil View Post
    The ide is nice though php for bots like that seems strange most host dont like intensive curl scripts running.

My bot uses php too but only in the front end site (very early version)
    Well, PHP is designed to work with the internet, it's amazingly flexible, you can run it on pretty much windows, mac, and linux.
    Since you can run PHP via console, you don't really need to worry about setting up Apache or anything.

You don't need to worry about having any runtimes installed, no Java, no dotNet, just have the PHP files on a usb and you can php.exe script.php anywhere. If you're out of town without all your dev tools and sources, you can edit the code directly, as there is no compiling required, just a text editor.

Sure I'd never run my full Altador Plot Bot on a shared host, but doing smaller tasks is no problem at all. As long as the execution time is less than 30 seconds and it's not run too often. Most of mine that are hosted would be set to run once a day, or once every few hours.

If you have a VPS you could use any length of script you like, set it up on a cron job and just let it do it's thing.

The only thing that really limits PHP is the lack of a native desktop UI.
    If my post helped please send $2,000,000 via PayPal!

Userbars
    Thanks
    DL/UL
    32/3
    Mentioned
    87 times
    Time Online
    17d 12h 5m
    Avg. Time Online
    5m
    I've never used a free host, even the shared ones usually have limits of 30s per script execution, which means your script can't require that amount of time, or that you need to break it down into edible bites.

Bandwidth I've never had an issue with.

If you remember NeoAcademy, half the code on there was automated, I worked with them on it, the AltadorPlot solver was mine, and so was the daily crossword thingy, which logged in and downloaded the puzzle, solved it and posted 1 click links, sometimes there were ones which couldn't be solved automatically, and those had to be entered into a form for moderators to answer.
    Nice. I suspect that any host would try to do something to minimize scripting abuse. That script execution time limit answers my suspicion, heheh. thanks
    Last edited by damian002; 12-14-2012 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Forgot to quote

Thanks
    DL/UL
    52/0
    Mentioned
    4 times
    Time Online
    2d 36m
    Avg. Time Online
    N/A
    Holy crap this escalated quickly, let me read through and quote some peeps

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

@(you need an account to see links) - Sounds good, will implement it.

@(you need an account to see links) - Probably not the NeoQuest at the moment, except the one where you first start, the wheels will probably be in a daily doer, and the rubbish will probably go in the to-do list.

And to everyone else, I'm not talking like PS buttons and crap, just lots of buttons to make everything customized, or a click start and everything is done sort of thing.